How to avoid feeling frustrated when facing with so much unkown knowledge?

• Thread starter arielleon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, the individual in the conversation is a third grade undergraduate student who has been struggling with research in a theoretical condensed matter group at their university. They often find themselves overwhelmed with the amount of information and terminology in their field, and wonder if this is a common struggle among researchers. However, they also recognize the importance of constantly learning and see it as a positive aspect of being a good researcher. One possible solution to this issue could be for journals to include a section for suggested reading materials in published manuscripts.
arielleon
I am now a third grade undergraduate student. I do fair job in my studies. Now I have been in a theorectical condensed matter group in my university to learn how to do researches. But after a whole year, I still find that when I want to run into a topic, say Berry phase, or higgs mechanism, I always dig out endless materials. Sometimes I learn much. But in many case, I find myself lost in some "forbbidden" knowledge forrest and pay a lot of time but get to know nothing except some abstract terminologies. As this happens again and again, I feel really frustrated when facing something new. So I want to ask: Is doing research really that hard? Then how do physicists get into the field and seldomly feel bad? Thx a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to view the fact that there's always something more to learn as a negative. Good researchers view it as a positive.

fss said:
You seem to view the fact that there's always something more to learn as a negative. Good researchers view it as a positive.

I love to learn new things. But I hate to be lost in new things. It seems that I spend a lot of time and learn little. And I wonder if this is a common thing or not when doing research.

I'd say it's pretty common for a student - less so once you've been actively researching in a field for a decade.

In any academic writing there is a lot of assumed knowledge. If you don't begin with the premise that your audience has a basic understanding of your field, you'll end up writing a textbook in order to convey the small contribution to the field that you've made - which is incredibly inefficient.

One solution to the problem might be for journals to require a "student prompter" section in each of their puplished manuscripts, where the authors could point to various review articles or textbook chapters relevant to their work, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Thus you're stuck with approaching your supervisor and asking him or her for suggestions on material to cover so that you can better understand the papers you're going through.

I completely understand the feeling of frustration when facing a vast amount of unknown knowledge. It can be overwhelming and make us question our abilities as researchers. However, it is important to remember that this feeling is completely normal, especially in the beginning stages of research.

Firstly, it is important to acknowledge that research is a continuous learning process. No matter how much knowledge we acquire, there will always be something new to learn. This is the nature of science and it is what makes it exciting and challenging.

Secondly, it is crucial to have a clear understanding of the topic you are researching. Before diving into the endless materials, take some time to define the scope of your research and identify specific questions or objectives. This will help you focus on the relevant information and avoid getting lost in abstract terminologies.

Another useful tip is to break down the information into smaller, manageable chunks. This will not only make it easier to digest but also allow you to track your progress and avoid feeling overwhelmed.

Additionally, it is important to have a support system in place. Collaborating with more experienced researchers or seeking guidance from your supervisor can help you navigate through the unknown knowledge and provide valuable insights.

Lastly, it is important to remember that research is a journey, not a destination. It takes time, patience, and perseverance. It is natural to feel frustrated at times, but it is important to stay motivated and keep pushing forward. With dedication and hard work, you will eventually gain a deeper understanding of the topic and feel more confident in your research.

In conclusion, research can be challenging, but it is also incredibly rewarding. So don't let the frustration discourage you. Embrace the unknown knowledge and keep pushing yourself to learn and grow as a researcher.

1. How do I stay motivated when faced with a lot of unknown knowledge?

Staying motivated when faced with unknown knowledge can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. First, break down the information into smaller, more manageable chunks. This will make it feel less overwhelming. Second, set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate each time you reach one. This will give you a sense of accomplishment and keep you motivated. Lastly, remember that gaining new knowledge takes time and effort, so be patient with yourself.

2. What strategies can I use to better understand unknown knowledge?

One strategy is to ask questions. Don't be afraid to reach out to experts or colleagues for clarification or further explanation. Another strategy is to make connections between the new knowledge and things you already know. This can help you better understand and remember the information. Additionally, actively engaging with the material, such as by taking notes or summarizing the information, can also improve understanding.

3. How can I reduce frustration when facing unknown knowledge?

One way to reduce frustration is to shift your mindset. Instead of thinking of the unknown knowledge as a roadblock, think of it as a challenge to overcome. This can help you approach the information with a more positive attitude. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can also help reduce frustration and prevent burnout.

4. Is it normal to feel frustrated when faced with unknown knowledge?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel frustrated when faced with unknown knowledge. Learning new things can be difficult and it's natural to feel frustrated when you encounter obstacles. It's important to acknowledge and accept these feelings, but also not let them discourage you from continuing to learn and grow.

5. How can I use my frustration as a motivator?

Frustration can actually be a powerful motivator if used correctly. One way to use frustration as a motivator is to channel it into a specific goal or task. For example, if you're frustrated with not understanding a particular concept, use that frustration to motivate yourself to study and learn more about it. Additionally, reflecting on your frustrations and using them as learning opportunities can also help you grow and improve in the long run.