Love Physics, but not sure about it as a career

In summary: I guess if I had to narrow it down, I would want to be a scientist or engineer. But I'm not sure if I'm cut out for that. I feel like I need to do more research before I make a decision.In summary, you are considering abandoning a degree in physics because you feel you do not have what it takes to be successful in the field. You feel you would not be able to compete with those who are naturally gifted or have been doing calculus since the fifth grade. You suggest looking into other areas of your skills to see if you would be better suited for a career in that area.
MillerGenuine
Recently I have been strongly reconsidering pursuing a degree in Physics. I absolutely love the subject, but i think my problem is that I love to learn physics, but I do not love to do physics out of necessity. I feel that while I enjoy sitting in class listening to lectures, when the time comes to get a job, I am just not naturally gifted with mathematics/physics, therefore I would not be very competitive when being considered for a job. What value am I to a company if I enjoy learning physics, but can not apply it nearly as well as the next guy? I feel that i just would not stand a chance with those guys who are naturally gifted, or the guys who have been doing calculus since the fifth grade. I never took calculus in high school, I decided to pursue physics after my first semester in college, and therefore I was behind to begin with. I feel like the nerd who reclused himself for 3 years in high school and is now trying out for the football team his senior year, I just may not have what it takes to make a career out of it. I am in my third year of college, still taking lower division classes and struggling. Anyone else ever been/is in this situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you not good at mathematics and physics, or you just don't apply yourself? I know of some well-known physicists who have done poorly in high school mathematics.

I would have to say I don't apply myself completely. Its not that I am terrible at mathematics/physics, its that I excel naturally at so many other subjects, but for some reason I am attracted so much to the one subject I am not naturally gifted in (physics). I am just really confused on what to pursue, my natural talents, or this new found passion.

I have known many people, myself included, in a similar situation to yours. One guy I knew only got a physics degree to prove that he could, and now he sells cars. Another one majored in physics because he really likes it and finds it interesting, but he's pursuing a career in art now.

I had to retake every math class I ever took, and I did mediocre in many of my physics classes. I probably could have gotten a higher GPA if I applied myself more. I didn't really realize until my last year of college that I really enjoy learning physics, but I didn't want to pursue a career in physics. I worked on a few research projects during my undergrad, and I was bored out of my skull. And going straight into industry would land me in a job very similar to an engineer, which I also think is boring. I knew I didn't want to go to grad school for physics because I was already burned out on school and I honestly just didn't want to put in 4+ years of working that hard for something I wasn't enthusiastic about. So now I'm pursuing graduate studies in Science Communication in hopes of one day working in a museum or some other kind of informal science education career.

I guess the point of that rambling paragraph is that a physics degree is very versatile and you might be able to combine your physics knowledge with another of your skills for an awesome career.

You might also want to ask yourself these questions: What would I do in my dream job (not the job title, but the job description)? What do I need to get this job? Or, what am I hoping to get out of college? Knowledge I can't get anywhere else? Career training? Resume padding?

What I would do is keep studying physics, as long as you're still interested and can keep up with the work, and you'll figure out something to do with it.

I have known many people, myself included, in a similar situation to yours. One guy I knew only got a physics degree to prove that he could, and now he sells cars. Another one majored in physics because he really likes it and finds it interesting, but he's pursuing a career in art now
Im glad there are people that have been in the same boat as me. I feel like sometimes I am pursuing physics strictly because its the most challenging subject I could find, and as you said above, just to prove that I can.

But again, like I said before, I am very talented in many other areas yet I am so drawn to physics. I am concerned that by not following my natural talents I may never reach full potential.

You might also want to ask yourself these questions: What would I do in my dream job
I've been asking myself this question daily since I began college and I still haven't the slightest clue lol.

What does a young man whose good at everything but great at nothing do with his life?

MillerGenuine said:
What does a young man whose good at everything but great at nothing do with his life?
Explore the world as best he can, so that he may find something he will find worthy of investing a lot of time in and becoming great at?

1. What is Love Physics?

Love Physics is the study of the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, with a focus on relationships and interactions between particles and forces.

2. Is Love Physics a popular career choice?

While it may not be as popular as other branches of physics such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics, Love Physics is still a growing field with many opportunities for research and application in various industries.

3. What skills are needed to pursue a career in Love Physics?

To be successful in Love Physics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a passion for understanding the complexities of relationships and interactions within the universe.

4. What job opportunities are available in Love Physics?

Graduates in Love Physics can pursue careers in research, teaching, and various industries such as materials science, energy, and biotechnology. They can also work in government agencies, consulting firms, and technology companies.

5. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in Love Physics?

While a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is the minimum requirement for most entry-level positions in Love Physics, a graduate degree, such as a master's or a PhD, is often necessary for advanced research and career advancement opportunities.