Exploring Physics Ability: From High School to College and Beyond

• Physics
  • Thread starter johnny28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Some universities even offer courses in those languages.There is no harm in trying to learn another language, but don't worry if you don't end up doing so. It's not a requirement for a successful career in physics. In summary, congratulations on your new college! As long as you keep up your good grades, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting in and excelling in your physics classes.
johnny28
Hi Everyone,
I'm a senior in high school and was just accepted to the college of my choice. I have always been fascinated in Physics, more specifically fields in theoretical physics (math intensive) and astrophysics. Whenever I could I would read books on various topics such as these, and I really want to have a career in one of these fields when I grow up, but I'm doubting my capabilites. For instance throughout high school I haven't been in many AP or honors math/science classes (only AP Bio).

The college I was admitted to has a strong physics program and I'm wondering if when I start attending classes there, I will be far behind the "curve" so to speak. Do I need an innate ability or strong mathmatical background to go into a physics field?

NOTE: When I took regular physics a year ago I had an A for the year and a A+ on both the midterm and final exams. My grade in regular calculus (in which my class uses the AP book) is an A and I have no trouble grasping any of the concepts presented.

Will I fall behind?

Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats at getting into the college you wanted!

No, it's a common misconception that you need to be a super-genius to study physics. Judging by your grades, you're not starting behind most of your classmates.

Of course, it's still possible to fall behind...keep up on your studying :wink:! Best of luck to you.

Haha finally some re-assurance! Thanks!

I understand with so many "advanced" programs out there it can feel like if you're not in the super-gifted class or if you don't get a summer job doing research, or if you don't go to space camp or whatever, that you are somehow behind those on the forefront.

There will always be people who've done just a little bit more, but there's no point in worrying about them, because it won't change anything about your current situation. Instead, focus on doing what you need to do in order to accomplish your goals.

Your first few university physics classes will give you a good idea of whether or not the field is for you. Fortunately most first year programs are structured so that if you find out physics isn't your cup of tea afterall, you have the background to pursue other avenues.

I don't really know the American system (I'm Australian).

What college are you going to and may I ask for you to show me what physics subjects there are to choose from?

The college is Johns Hopkins. I don't have a list of the specific physics related majors but I think most are offered there.

You're usually right at the curve, you'll be ahead of it once you start performing much better than the kids within your specific classes.

The need for a strong mathematical ability is false. I was almost below average when it came to math back in High School, however, I managed to pull out above average (B) to superior (A) in math courses above Calculus I in college.

johnny28 said:
The college is Johns Hopkins. I don't have a list of the specific physics related majors but I think most are offered there.

http://physics-astronomy.jhu.edu/acad/ugrad/maj_min_prog.html

One can obtain a BA or BS. I recommend the BS.

Students planning to major in physics should take Special Relativity and Waves 171.201 and Modern Physics 171.202 in their sophomore year. Combined with 171.105-106, these courses provide an integrated four semester introduction to both classical and modern physics. Alternatively, physics majors may follow a biological physics track by substituting 171.209 in place of 171.201 and/or 171.210 in place of 171.202. Physics majors who take 171.209 in place of 171.201 must take a three-week 1 credit course on Special Relativity (171.207). Note that while 171.105-106 are the preferred prerequisite for 171.201, the other introductory sequences, 171.101-102 or 171.103-104, are acceptable.

Requirements for the B.S. Degree in Physics

Students who plan to continue in science after graduation, whether in graduate school or in the workforce, may wish to obtain the degree of Bachelor of Science in Physics. This program is designed to supplement the core physics courses with a concentration at an advanced level in a scientific or engineering discipline.

The total number of credits required for the B.S. is 126, rather than 120. The required core course work in physics is the same as for the B.A., as are the mathematics requirements. However, the two electives required for the B.A. are replaced, for the B.S., by five courses at the 200 level or above (at least 3 credits each).

I would encourage learning a language or two - e.g., German, French and Russian. Many classic physics papers are in those languages, and it's nice to talk to other scientists in their native language. Some PhD programs encourage a language, and it easier to learn earlier.

Personally, I enjoy traveling overseas and using the local language, which is useful in areas where English is not spoken.

DBTS said:
...The need for a strong mathematical ability is false. I was almost below average when it came to math back in High School, however, I managed to pull out above average (B) to superior (A) in math courses above Calculus I in college.

Mathematical ability being strong enough can be developed. This is definitely easier for some people than for others, but it CAN be developed. Physics certainly is very mathematical and so some mathematical ability is necessary; it need not all be developed while the student is in high school, but it needs to be developed at some time range in order to succeed with Physics. At least basic Algebra and some Trigonometry, and some basic Calculus, possibly skill with a few differential equations.

1. What is physics ability?

Physics ability refers to an individual's capacity to understand and apply the principles and concepts of physics to real-world problems and situations. It involves having a strong foundation of knowledge in the fundamental laws and theories of physics and being able to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to analyze and explain physical phenomena.

2. Can everyone develop a high level of physics ability?

Yes, physics ability can be developed through practice and studying. While some people may have a natural inclination towards physics, anyone can improve their understanding and application of physics concepts through dedication and effort.

3. How is physics ability measured?

There is no one specific measure of physics ability, but it can be evaluated through various means such as standardized tests, lab experiments, and problem-solving assessments. Ultimately, a person's physics ability is best assessed by their ability to understand and explain physical phenomena.

4. Is physics ability important in everyday life?

Yes, physics plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. From the technology we use, such as smartphones and computers, to the buildings we live in and the cars we drive, all of these rely on the principles of physics. Understanding physics can also help us make informed decisions on important issues such as climate change and energy consumption.

5. How can I improve my physics ability?

Improving physics ability requires dedication and practice. It is important to have a strong understanding of the foundational concepts and principles of physics and to continuously challenge yourself with new problems and experiments. Seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups can also help in improving physics ability.