Unveiled: A Revolutionary Safety Air-Brake for Elevators

• Thread starter WillParadigm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary, the conversation involves a problem with an elevator and a new kind of "safety" air-brake that is activated when the elevator reaches a speed of 40 mph. The brakes are powerful enough to stop the elevator in 1/20 of a second. The question is asked about the force exerted by the brakes to stop the elevator and why the answer is not 700 lbs. The conversation then delves into different equations and concepts, such as acceleration, freebody diagrams, and Newton's second law, in an attempt to solve the problem. The expert summarizer is unable to provide a solution but suggests using the equation \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = m \
WillParadigm
An engineer claims to have a new kind of "safety" air-brake for elevators. If the cable should snap, a patented velocity-sensor turns on the brakes once the elevator hits 40 mph. The brakes are powerful enough to stop a 700 lb elevator in 1/20 of a second.

How much force do the brakes exert to stop the elevator like this? Why isn't the answer 700 lbs? Isn't the force of gravity only 700 lbs?

I'm not sure where to begin with this one, I understand the concept of the elevator is being held taut by the elevator cord, and that on the sides, there is Ff (f=friction), but I am not really sure what to do with the information being given to me in this problem. Could someone give me a general idea how I should attempt this problem? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The elevator will be moving downwards, and it will have a weight of 700 lbs, so the problem states when the elevator has a speed of 40 mph, then it can stop it, reach a speed of 0 in 1/20 of a second. (Acceleration Equation is ?)

The answer is not 700 lbs, because the elevator is moving.

Do a freebody diagram, the brake is supposedly air-brake, so i doubt there will be friction on the sides.

ok, I somewhat understand the problem a little better, but I did something wrong...

a=g=9.8 since acceleration is constant? because the cable just snaps, so it's just gravity, and a can be set equal to

a=Force/mass

and mass is equal to weight/g which in this case, then 700 lbs/9.8 m/s^2 gives me 71.4285714286, so then, I times both sides by mass, and get

(9.8)(71.4285714286) = 700 N, so but that was already ruled out, what did I mess up?

I have another equation where F=(micro)N where (micro)=coefficient of friction and N=normal, but I don't have to coefficient of friction in this problem, so I can't really use that

Think about the brake.

You got the Force the brake will exert to stop the elevator from falling and you got the weight of the elevator, on your diagram, and their moving on the y-axis.

not really, I'm still lost on this problem... gah, so much work for just one problem... UGH.

Think about

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = \frac{d \vec{P}}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = \frac{\Delta \vec{P}}{\Delta t} [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = \frac{m \Delta \vec{v}}{\Delta t} [/tex]

By the way that's Newton second law, and P is lineal momentum.

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = \frac{d \vec{P}}{dt} [/tex]

If the mass is constant, then it'll be:

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = \frac{m d \vec{v}}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the "Unveiled" air-brake for elevators?

The purpose of the "Unveiled" air-brake is to provide a revolutionary safety mechanism for elevators. It is designed to prevent elevator accidents and protect passengers in case of an emergency.

2. How does the "Unveiled" air-brake work?

The "Unveiled" air-brake works by using compressed air to halt the elevator's movement in case of an emergency. When activated, the air-brake will stop the elevator from falling, preventing potential accidents or injuries.

3. What makes the "Unveiled" air-brake different from other safety mechanisms for elevators?

The "Unveiled" air-brake is different from other safety mechanisms because it is designed to be fail-proof. It uses compressed air as a backup power source, ensuring that the air-brake will still work even in the event of a power outage or other malfunctions.

4. Is the "Unveiled" air-brake currently being used in elevators?

At the moment, the "Unveiled" air-brake is still in the development stage. It has undergone extensive testing and is currently seeking regulatory approval before being implemented in elevators.

5. What are the potential benefits of using the "Unveiled" air-brake in elevators?

The potential benefits of using the "Unveiled" air-brake in elevators include increased safety for passengers, reduced risk of elevator accidents, and improved emergency response capabilities. It may also lead to lower insurance costs for building owners and operators.