Kernel of Matrix Homework Solution

In summary, the problem is to find the kernel of a matrix with a zero vector in the first column. The answer is the unit vector e1. The approach is to use the fact that imA = span([1,0,0], [0,1,0]) and that the kernel is what makes Ax = 0. The difference in this case is that the first column is all zeros, making it a simpler problem.
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

Find the kernel of [tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)\[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the kernel of a matrix that has numbers in all of the columns, but I think that since this matrix has a zero vector in the first column it's throwing me off. I know the answer is the unit vector e1, but I don't know why.

I know that
[tex]imA = span(\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 \\
0 \\
0 \end{array} \right)\, \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 \\
1 \\
0 \end{array} \right)\)[/tex]

And I know that the kernel is what makes Ax = 0. But I can't figure it out for some reason, while I can easily get the more complicated problems. Maybe it's too simple and I'm over-thinking it?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, if the matrix had nonzero entries, how would you approach the problem then?? And what's different about this case??

Yes, turns out I was overthinking it. I set it up like a normal problem and for some reason stopped because it looked strange. Then I continued with it and got the unit vector [1,0,0].

1. What is the kernel of a matrix?

The kernel of a matrix is the set of all vectors that when multiplied by the matrix result in the zero vector. In other words, it is the solution set to the homogeneous linear system of equations represented by the matrix.

2. How do I find the kernel of a matrix?

To find the kernel of a matrix, you can use row reduction techniques to put the matrix in reduced row echelon form. The columns corresponding to pivot variables will form a basis for the kernel. Alternatively, you can use the null space function on a calculator or software program.

3. What is the significance of the kernel of a matrix?

The kernel of a matrix is significant because it represents the set of solutions to a homogeneous system of equations. It also gives insight into the linear dependence of the columns of the matrix and can be used to find a basis for the column space of the matrix.

4. Can the kernel of a matrix be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the kernel of a matrix to be empty. This occurs when the matrix is invertible, meaning it has a unique solution to the system of equations. In this case, the only vector that produces the zero vector when multiplied by the matrix is the zero vector itself.

5. How is the kernel related to the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is the number of linearly independent columns or rows in the matrix. The dimension of the kernel is equal to the number of linearly dependent columns or rows in the matrix. Therefore, the rank and the dimension of the kernel add up to the total number of columns or rows in the matrix.