Energy resultant of Solidification Point Of Ethanol

In summary, to produce solid ethyl alcohol from a beaker containing 200mL of ethyl alcohol at 22 C degrees, a minimum amount of 68,706.12 J of energy must be removed. This can be calculated using the equations Q=mcdT, Q=ML, m=pv, and Qtotal = Q1 + Q2. The density of ethyl alcohol is 790kg/m^3, the specific heat capacity is 2400 J/kg * K, and the latent heat fusion is 1.09x10^5 J/kg. The mistake may have been made in the calculation of Q=0.1578 (2400) (136), which should equal 51505.
eliassiguenza
1. Homework Statement
a beaker contains 200mL of ethyl alcohol at 22 C degrees. what is the minumum amount of energy that must be removed to produce solid ethyl alcohol..

the melting/freezing pt is -114 C degrees
Latent heat fusion = 1.09x10^5
density is 790kg/m^3
specific heat capacity = 2400 J/kg * K

2. Homework Equations
Q=mcdT
Q=ML
m=pv
Qtotal = Q1 + Q2 (Q1 = m c dT + Q=ML)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

m= p * v = (2.00*10^-4m^3)(790)=0.1578kg
so..
Q=0.1578 (2400) (136)
=51505.92 J

Q2 = 0.1578 (1.09*10^5)
=17200.2

Q1 + Q2 = 68706.12

Apparently I'm wrong where have i made a mistake! =( I'm very frustrated...

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone pleaseeeeee I'm getting crazy here! :(

1. What is the solidification point of ethanol?

The solidification point of ethanol is -114.1 degrees Celsius (-173.4 degrees Fahrenheit).

2. How does the solidification point of ethanol affect its use as a fuel?

The solidification point of ethanol is important in determining the appropriate temperature range for storing and using ethanol as a fuel. At temperatures below its solidification point, ethanol can solidify and cause problems in fuel systems.

3. Is the solidification point of ethanol affected by impurities?

Yes, impurities in ethanol can lower its solidification point, making it more likely to solidify at higher temperatures. This is why ethanol used as a fuel is typically purified to remove impurities.

4. How does the solidification point of ethanol compare to other alcohols?

The solidification point of ethanol is lower than that of other alcohols, such as methanol and propanol. This is due to its smaller molecular size and weaker intermolecular forces.

5. Can the solidification point of ethanol be changed?

Yes, the solidification point of ethanol can be changed by altering its purity or by adding substances that lower or raise its freezing point. This is often done in industrial processes to produce ethanol with specific properties.