Modeling Composites in Explicit dynamics. [Ansys]

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of modeling a composite with multiple layers in Ansys Workbench. The individual has been trying to achieve this for over a week and was advised to use Ansys Classic and a macro file to define the mesh. However, they are unsure if this will work and have not found clear examples on how to model a composite. They are seeking help and any ideas would be appreciated.
beho86
Hello,
I am trying to model an explicit dynamics model in Ansys, to study impact of different objects. I cannot figure out how to model a composite with several layers in workbench.

I have been trying to achieve this for over a week now. I was told that I can model the composite in Ansys Classic, mesh it, and then write a macro file. then use the macro file in Workbench to define the mesh. I have no idea if this will work, or how to even do it.

I have seen several examples on youtube of composites, but not sure how to model one?

Thanks in advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any idea? thx

1. What is the purpose of modeling composites in explicit dynamics?

The purpose of modeling composites in explicit dynamics is to accurately simulate the behavior of composite materials under various loading conditions. This can help engineers and researchers understand how composites will behave in real-world situations and make informed design decisions.

2. What is the difference between explicit and implicit dynamics?

The main difference between explicit and implicit dynamics is the time scale in which they operate. Explicit dynamics is used for short-duration, high-energy events, while implicit dynamics is used for long-duration, low-energy events. Additionally, explicit dynamics takes into account material failure and deformation, while implicit dynamics assumes the material remains intact.

3. How are composite materials represented in Ansys?

Composite materials can be represented in Ansys using a variety of methods, such as laminate, orthotropic, and micromechanics models. These models take into account the different properties and orientations of the individual composite layers, allowing for a more accurate simulation of the material's behavior.

4. What are some challenges when modeling composites in explicit dynamics?

One of the main challenges when modeling composites in explicit dynamics is accurately capturing the complex failure mechanisms of composite materials. This requires detailed material characterization and a thorough understanding of the material's behavior under different loading conditions.

5. How can modeling composites in explicit dynamics benefit the design process?

Modeling composites in explicit dynamics can benefit the design process by providing insight into the failure behavior of composite materials, allowing for optimization of designs and improved safety. It can also save time and resources by reducing the need for physical testing and prototyping.