Can I Use a 520A RMS Thyristor for Controlling a 500A DC Motor?

In summary, the author substituted a different thyristor for the DigiKey Q4015L6 and wants to know if it is possible to reverse polorize it to turn it off. The author also wants to know if it is possible to control the PWM circuit with a reverse polarized thyristor. The author thinks that he will just buy a 400A, 120V Curtis EV controller.
RJK
A while ago I built a pc board that serves as a 3 channel SS relay. The output thyristors are 25A. This circuit uses a zero cross opto coupler to fire the thyristor and turn it off (DigiKey MOC3042). I've used many of these to control aa AC wash machine motor (on/off). The first question is if I could substitute this thyristor (DigiKey Q4015L6) with a big monster one like a 520A RMS (DigiKey ST330S04P0-ND) ?

The second question has to do with controlling the PWM circuit. I think I need to reverse polorize the thyristor to shut it off. If so, then a second reverse polorized thyristor (across the motor)could have the inverted gate polarity with respect to the first thyristor. When the PWM signal drops out then Thyristor 2 reverse polorized thyristor 1 to shut it off and there is no current flow. Then when the PWM comes on thyristor 1 comes on again (T2 now off), and the motor has current. Is this possible to make work?

By the way, this is for my electric car, a 66 MGB.
Roger

Engineering news on Phys.org
there's something called a Jones Chopper circuit that uses SCRs and somehow reverse biases them to turn them off. long ago (1979 or 1980), in an electric car project that my school was doing, we built a Jones Chopper, but couldn't get it to work because the capacitors used to help with the SCR reverse biasing, had too much internal inductance (too low of quality). we ended up buying a working chopper circuit.

After considring my options, I think I will just buy a 400A, 120V Curtis EV controller. It costs just over $1000. My MG has 9 12V deep cycle batteries (108v), so this should work well. With gas almost at $4.00/gallon, I think it is a wise investment. If my MG does not perform as desired (my old controller and 8 batteries gave me about 20 mile range), I am looking into converting an S-10 or Ranger and I could double the battery payload and should be able to get more than 40 mile range. Eventually retrofit with Lithium Ion batteries and tripple that range.

1. How do I control the speed of a 500A DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage supplied to it. A higher voltage will result in a higher speed, while a lower voltage will result in a lower speed. This can be done using a variable power supply or by using a motor controller.

2. What is the best way to protect a 500A DC motor from overheating?

To protect a DC motor from overheating, it is important to monitor its temperature and ensure it does not exceed its maximum operating temperature. This can be done by using thermal sensors and implementing a cooling system, such as a fan or liquid cooling.

3. How can I reverse the direction of a 500A DC motor?

To reverse the direction of a DC motor, the polarity of the input voltage needs to be reversed. This can be achieved by using a motor controller with a built-in H-bridge circuit, which allows for bi-directional control of the motor.

4. What is the maximum load that a 500A DC motor can handle?

The maximum load that a DC motor can handle depends on various factors such as its design, size, and efficiency. It is important to consult the motor's datasheet or manufacturer specifications to determine its maximum load capacity.

5. What type of maintenance is required for a 500A DC motor?

Regular maintenance is important for the proper functioning of a DC motor. This includes cleaning, lubrication, and checking for any wear and tear. It is also important to regularly inspect and replace any damaged parts to ensure the motor's longevity.