[unusual problem]making an illustration on graphing calculator

In summary, the student is having difficulty with the graphing assignment and is looking for help. They mention that polar coordinates can be very visually appealing and that combining random trig functions together produces some interesting results. The student also mentions that drawing a person can be difficult because they have to figure out how to restrict the domains of the functions.
Horror Business
hello, I'm new! well anyways, I'm having trouble with this assignment. the assignment is to, on my TI-83 plus graphing calculator, create an illustration as a graph. it doesn't have to be much, it could be a person, or a flower, pretty much anything. the thing is, I'm not too good at pre-calculus and all I'm managing to make is parabolas and awkward lines. Also, after all the functions for the graph are entered and the graph is made, i have to draw it on a piece of paper, and write all the functions on it, so cheating like using the pen tool won't work. thank you VERY much. :smile:
don't get me wrong, i don't want you to do this for me. i just looking for some ideas, or a cool-looking function to graph. anyhting helps, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
I think polar coordinates have nice looking graphs.. Even something as simple as [tex]cos(2\theta)[/tex] produces a four-petal flower. Combining random trig functions together produces nice results but as for drawing a person that could get tough because you have to figure out how to restrict the domains of the functions so that only the desired portion of the graph is shown. For example, if you wanted to draw y = x from x = -1 to x = 1, you would have to transform y = x into [tex] y = x \frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} [/tex]so that way any x outside of [-1, 1] returns a nonreal result and therefore won't be graphed. I don't think you want to think quite that hard for this assignment though :)

Hehe, i made a :) face.
((5-5(x+3)^2)^(1/2))+2
-((5-5(x+3)^2)^(1/2))+4
((5-5(-x+3)^2)^(1/2))+2
-((5-5(-x+3)^2)^(1/2))+4
-((1-5(x+3)^2)^(1/2))+4
-((1-5(x+3)^2)^(1/2))+4
-((6-.5(x)^2)^(1/2))-3
-((5-.33(x)^2)^(1/2))-2
((5-5(-x+3)^2)^(1/2))+3
((5-5(x+3)^2)^(1/2))+3

i had this assignment last year. was probably one of the more fun projects i had in my calculus class. I made stewie from family guy. everyone recognized it right away, i was so proud. haha. good luck, i had mostly trial and error. friend of mine (beign much smarter) figure out his stuff on paper first and made a sailbot in the water. was impressive.

thank you all. and vsage, i tried your four petal flower, but it didn't work. and brettisrad, i think you typed the functions wrong or something because your face came out really delapidated. thanks for the reply though.

1. How can I create an illustration on a graphing calculator?

To create an illustration on a graphing calculator, you will need to use the calculator's graphing function. This can typically be accessed by pressing the "graph" or "graphing" button on the calculator. Once in the graphing function, you can input equations or data points to create your illustration.

2. Can I save my illustration on a graphing calculator?

Some graphing calculators may have a feature that allows you to save your drawings or illustrations. However, this feature may vary depending on the type and brand of calculator you are using. It is best to refer to the calculator's manual for specific instructions on how to save your illustrations.

3. What type of illustrations can I create on a graphing calculator?

Graphing calculators are primarily used for creating graphs and charts, but they can also be used to create other types of illustrations such as geometric shapes, drawings, and even pixel art. The limitation of the type of illustration will depend on the calculator's capabilities and your creativity.

4. How do I adjust the scale and axes for my illustration on a graphing calculator?

To adjust the scale and axes for your illustration, you can use the "zoom" function on the calculator. This function allows you to zoom in or out on the graph, as well as adjust the range of the x and y axes. Some calculators may also have a feature that allows you to manually adjust the scale and axes.

5. Is it possible to transfer my illustration from a graphing calculator to a computer?

Yes, it is possible to transfer your illustration from a graphing calculator to a computer. Some calculators have a USB port or a cable that allows you to connect it to a computer and transfer files. Alternatively, you can take a photo of your illustration with a camera or scan it to your computer.