Is there anything grammatically wrong with this sentence?

• Thread starter Raven
  • Start date
In summary: He or she requested a summary, and the summary is fine. To me, the difference between the original and the edited version is like the difference between saying "I'm going to a concert to see my favorite artist perform" and "I'm going to a concert to see my favorite artist, who will be performing." The original is fine, but the edited version is more specific.In summary, the speaker analyzes research data to aid the sales team in increasing sales revenue, growing the prospect client list, and providing pertinent data for the clients' needs.
Raven
"I analyze research data to aid the sales team increase sales revenue, grow prospect client list, and provide pertinent data for the clients' needs."

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Raven said:
"I analyze research data to aid the sales team increase sales revenue, grow prospect client list, and provide pertinent data for the clients' needs."

Thanks!

"I analyze research data to aid the sales team in increasing sales revenue, growing the list of prospective clients, and providing data which is pertinent for the clients' needs."

That's a little better but still doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Raven said:

Thanks!

"Aiding the sales team, I analyze research data to increase sales revenue, grow prospect(ive?) client list, and provide pertinent data for the clients' needs."

Maybe?

Raven said:

Thanks!

It doesn't need anything but a comma. Here's the revised version:

"I analyze research data to aid the sales team, increase sales revenue, grow prospect client list, and provide pertinent data for the clients' needs."

^ That changes the meaning of the sentence. The original explains that he aids the sales team by "increasing ..., growing ..., and providing ...". This edited version makes it a bit more vague and although it looks better syntactically, the meaning is awkward.

So in terms of grammar, the sentence is perfectly fine. However, it's a bit awkward and I can't offer any suggestions in swapping around some phrases. It depends entirely on what you want the sentence to enhance:
Starting with "To aid the sales team, I ..." gives a more selfless feeling. In contrast, starting with "I analyze research data" focuses on what you actually do. A small example.

Also, in my opinion, I think using "to aid [object] [verb]" is pretty awkward. It's more normal to use "to help [object] [verb]", but this substition also sounds a bit more elementary.

Raven said:

Thanks!

A few things jump out at me:

grow prospect client list

You have major ambiguity here, mostly with the word "prospect." It doesn't really make sense as either a noun (because "client" is also a noun") or a verb (because it comes after "grow"). You probably meant, "prospective", in which case you'd want the definite article as well. "...grow the prospective client list" is probably what you want. Your use of "grow" sounds awkward - if you are enabling someone to add clients, trivializing this with a statement about adding entries to a list does not do your accomplishment credit. You can think about that and change it if you want to; you know your situation better than I do.

I analyze research data ...

"research data" is arguably redundant. Just use "data."

to aid

Assuming this is for a resume, this is very bland. You want to show that you actually did something meaningful. Try using, "I analyze research data that enables the sales team increase sales revenue..."

sales revenue

Redundancy. Revenue comes from sales, so just use "revenue."

...and provide pertinent data for the clients' needs."

Redundancy. It is obvious you are providing "pertinent" (by which I think you mean "relevant") data to the customer, otherwise you wouldn't be providing it. Circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works... Also, in the beginning of your statement you said that you "analyze." Why are you providing "data" (that which is analyzed) to the customer? The customer can obtain data by themselves without your involvement.

Your final sentence, IMO, should look more like this:

"I analyze data that enables the sales team to increase revenue, grow the prospective client list, and provide guidance to the client."

However, there is still a problem with this sentence because the act of increasing revenue is achieved by growing the client list; not by providing guidance to the client. The analysis of data that allows the sales team to add a client is probably not the same analysis you would provide to that client. "provide guidance to the client" is also ambiguous. What guidance do you provide? For what purpose? So, you have a larger problem here that needs to be resolved - until you let us know what you are actually trying to say, it's hard to help you.

Anonymous217 said:
^ That changes the meaning of the sentence. The original explains that he aids the sales team by "increasing ..., growing ..., and providing ...". This edited version makes it a bit more vague and although it looks better syntactically, the meaning is awkward.

So in terms of grammar, the sentence is perfectly fine. However, it's a bit awkward and I can't offer any suggestions in swapping around some phrases. It depends entirely on what you want the sentence to enhance:
Starting with "To aid the sales team, I ..." gives a more selfless feeling. In contrast, starting with "I analyze research data" focuses on what you actually do. A small example.

Also, in my opinion, I think using "to aid [object] [verb]" is pretty awkward. It's more normal to use "to help [object] [verb]", but this substition also sounds a bit more elementary.

The only thing I suggested was the addition of a comma, which doesn't change the meaning of the sentence at all; it adds clarity. I agree that it would benefit from a rewrite, but that isn't what Raven requested.

1. What is the purpose of checking for grammatical errors in a sentence?

The purpose of checking for grammatical errors in a sentence is to ensure that the sentence is clear, concise, and follows the rules of the language. This helps to avoid miscommunication and makes the sentence more effective in conveying its intended meaning.

2. How can I identify grammatical errors in a sentence?

To identify grammatical errors in a sentence, you can start by checking for subject-verb agreement, proper use of punctuation, and correct word order. You can also use grammar checking tools or ask a language expert for assistance.

3. Is it necessary to always have perfect grammar in a sentence?

While it is important to strive for correct grammar, it is not always necessary to have perfect grammar in a sentence. In some cases, breaking grammar rules can add emphasis or style to a sentence. However, it is important to ensure that the sentence is still clear and understandable.

4. Are there any common grammatical mistakes that people make?

Yes, there are several common grammatical mistakes that people make, such as using the wrong verb tense, subject-verb disagreement, and incorrect use of apostrophes. These mistakes can be easily avoided by practicing and familiarizing oneself with the rules of grammar.

5. Can a sentence be grammatically incorrect but still make sense?

Yes, a sentence can still make sense even if it is grammatically incorrect. However, this can lead to confusion or misunderstandings. It is important to strive for both grammatical correctness and clarity in a sentence.