Calculating acceleration of an object tied to another object

In summary, the problem involves two objects connected by a string and a force of gravity acting on the 7 kg block. The acceleration of the 7 kg block can be calculated using the equation a = F/m, where F is the force of gravity and m is the mass of the block. The two masses are accelerating at the same rate due to the force of gravity, and the acceleration can be determined by dividing the force by the combined mass of the two objects.
trivk96

Homework Statement

Two objects are connected by a string of negligible mass. The 11 kg block is placed on a
smooth table top 1.8 m above the floor, and
the 7 kg block hangs over the edge of the table. The 7 kg block is then released from rest
at a distance of 0.9 m above the floor at time
t = 0.

Determine the acceleration of the 7 kg block
as it descends. The acceleration of gravity is
9.8 m/s2
Answer in units of m/s2

Homework Equations

I have no idea.
Maybe- F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start, how to do this. I googled and found nothing. I am just lost

To see the diagram view the picture

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    201 KB · Views: 575
Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma is a good start. What are the forces acting on the 7kg block?

Gravity>>-9.8 m/s2

That means that the force is F= 7*-9.8=-68.6

So then that force acts on the 11kg which means for that weight, -68.6=11a would be the formula. a = -6.23636. Is that the acceleration?

Is the force just acting on the 11kg block?

I do not understand what you are asking. The force of gravity is pulling down the weight connected to the string so it pulls the 11kg weight at that force of gravity

But the two masses are tied together, so they are accelerating at the same rate. If you cut string, then the 7kg mass would fall with acceleration g, and the 11kg mass wouldn't move at all.
Another way to think about it is if you draw a diagram of the forces acting on the 7kg block: you have a downward force equal to its weight, but also an upward one which is from the tension in the string.

You're really close to the answer but you've got to remember that the weight of the 7kg block isn't just acting on the 11kg block.

So how would I include the other weight. Would I add the masses?

You have correctly said that the force on the 7kg block due to gravity is equal to 68.6N. But this force is pulling on the two masses, causing them to accelerate at the same rate. Sooo, using a = F/m you should be able to get an answer.

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object tied to another object?

The acceleration of an object tied to another object can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the tied objects by the total mass of the objects.

2. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in this scenario?

The formula for calculating acceleration is a = F/m, where "a" is acceleration, "F" is net force, and "m" is total mass.

3. Is there a specific unit for measuring acceleration?

Yes, acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can the acceleration of an object tied to another object change?

Yes, the acceleration of an object tied to another object can change if the net force or total mass of the objects changes.

5. What are some real-life examples of this concept?

Some examples of this concept include a person pulling a wagon, a car towing a trailer, or a person pushing a shopping cart. In all of these scenarios, the tied objects have a net force acting on them and their acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = F/m.