Vertically launched rocket problem with integration

In summary, the Rockets height as a function of time can be found by using the equations 1) and 2). The key is to integrate with respect to mass, not time, and to use the fact that the fuel burn rate is constant. The final equation for height is y(t)= u*t- 1/2*g*t^2- u*t*ln(M/m). The missing u*t term can be found by solving for the constant of integration using the initial condition m(0) = M.
Lawrencel2

Homework Statement

Find the Rockets height as a function of time
It is in a constant field g. u refers to the exhaust speed and M is the initial mass.
Starts from rest. and is single stage.

Homework Equations

1) m * dv/dt= -dm/dt * u-mg

2)Show that height as t is: y(t)= u*t- 1/2*g*t^2- u*t*ln(M/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, i arrived at a function very similar to the the height but, i cannot seem to get the u*t term in the function. i get y(t)= - 1/2*g*t^2- u*t*ln(M/m)
where do i get the u*t term from? i feel like i am so close to the answer but so far away..
I integrated 1) and arrived at V(t)= u*ln(M/m)-g*t

Physics news on Phys.org
no help?

Hi, I did look at this earlier but got stuck with your first integration. It is likely there is a constant of integration you are missing so if you are still stuck and want to, please can you show me your steps to integrate 1) and then I will see if I can help?

Cheers

I'm pretty sure you're forgetting that mass is a function of time, so your integration of u*ln(M/m(t))*dt isn't as simple as you had hoped...

Edit:
Hint: Do the integration w.r.t. mass, and not time. The key here is that (I'm assuming) the fuel burn rate is constant, so dm/dt = -c, where c is some constant. Use that to replace dt with -dm/c. Also, don't forget to solve for the constant of integration using the initial condition m(0) = M.

Last edited:

Then i integrated again to get y(t)= u*t*ln(M/m)- 1/2*g*t^2 + C
But i cannot seem to get rid of the constant term to match the given function. Can someone please help me out?

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, there may be a mistake in your integration process. When integrating the velocity equation, you should get V(t) = u*ln(M/m) - g*t + C. Then, when integrating again to find the height equation, you should get y(t) = u*t*ln(M/m) - 1/2*g*t^2 + C*t + D, where C and D are integration constants. To get rid of the constant terms, you can use the given initial conditions of the rocket starting from rest and the initial mass M to solve for the values of C and D. This should give you the final equation of y(t) = u*t*ln(M/m) - 1/2*g*t^2. I hope this helps!

1. What is a vertically launched rocket problem with integration?

A vertically launched rocket problem with integration is a mathematical problem that involves modeling the motion of a rocket launched vertically into the air. It uses the concept of integration to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the rocket at different points in time.

2. What are the key equations used in solving a vertically launched rocket problem with integration?

The key equations used in solving a vertically launched rocket problem with integration are the equations of motion, which include the position, velocity, and acceleration equations. These equations are derived from the fundamental principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

3. How is the initial velocity of the rocket determined in a vertically launched rocket problem with integration?

The initial velocity of the rocket is determined by taking into account the force applied to the rocket during launch and the mass of the rocket. This can be calculated using the equation of motion for velocity, which states that the change in velocity is equal to the initial velocity plus the product of acceleration and time.

4. What are the assumptions made in solving a vertically launched rocket problem with integration?

The assumptions made in solving a vertically launched rocket problem with integration include the neglect of air resistance, the assumption of constant acceleration due to gravity, and the assumption of a point mass for the rocket (meaning its size and shape are not taken into account).

5. How can a vertically launched rocket problem with integration be applied in real life?

Vertically launched rocket problems with integration can be applied in real life situations, such as in the design and testing of rockets and missiles. It can also be used in space exploration to predict the trajectory of a rocket or spacecraft. Additionally, it can be used in studying the motion of projectiles in physics experiments.