QFFF at Imperial: Is It Right for Me?

In summary, the conversation is about the Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces MSc program at Imperial and the person's qualifications and chances of getting accepted. They are a Pure Mathematician from Oxford and have studied Theoretical Physics as a hobby. They are self-funding their education and received a high 2.i classification in their fourth year, with one poor grade. They have questions about the difficulty of getting into the program and if their background as a Pure Mathematician will be a disadvantage. The response suggests that the program requires a 1.1 in Physics or a strongly related subject and that some 2.1 holders have been rejected. However, they encourage the person to still try and mention that someone with a first in Mathematics from Imperial was
DogCow
Hi guys!

I've got a few questions about the Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces MSc at Imperial.

Here's my background:

- Pure Mathematician at Oxford (MMATH)
- Studied Theoretical Physics as a hobby for years
- Wanting to Move into the field as a graduate
- Self-Funding (through working in my gap-year)
- Final Classification: high 2.i in fourth year, first class otherwise (one *seriously* awful half-paper in fourth year - my fault :) ).Here's my questions:

- How hard is the course to get into? (I've heard of a 2.i Oxford Physicist getting rejected).
- Are the admissions committee likely to discriminate against me given that I
(i) Narrowly Missed out on a first?
(ii) Am a Pure Mathematician by trainingThanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
I do not want do demoralise you, but the course explicitly requires a 1.1 in Physics or in a strongly related subject, with a high theoretical components. Maybe that's why some 2.1 holders have been rejected. However, if your 2.1 is pretty high and is from Oxford, I really think you have to try, but bear in mind that maybe your qualification is not the most suitable for this MSc(from what I gather reading the website of Imperial).

Hope this is helpful
Bye

A few years ago, somebody on PF posted saying they got into QFF with a first in Mathematics from Imperial.

1. What is QFFF at Imperial?

QFFF at Imperial is a program that stands for Quantitative Foundations of Finance and Financial Engineering at Imperial College London. It is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in the financial industry, with a focus on using mathematical and statistical tools to analyze and solve financial problems.

2. What are the admission requirements for QFFF at Imperial?

To be considered for QFFF at Imperial, applicants must have a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and economics. They must also have a bachelor's degree or equivalent in a related field. Additionally, applicants must submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement as part of the application process.

3. What courses are included in the QFFF program?

The QFFF program at Imperial includes courses in mathematical finance, risk management, financial economics, and financial engineering. Students will also have the opportunity to take electives in areas such as machine learning and data science.

4. What career opportunities are available for QFFF graduates?

QFFF graduates are well-prepared for careers in the financial industry, including roles in investment banking, asset management, risk management, and financial consulting. They also have the option to pursue further education in graduate programs in finance, economics, or business.

5. Is QFFF at Imperial right for me if I have no prior experience in finance?

The QFFF program is suitable for students with a strong background in mathematics and statistics, even if they have no prior experience in finance. However, it is important for students to have a genuine interest in the financial industry and a willingness to learn and apply mathematical concepts to financial problems.