Aspirin Questions: Seeking Guru Input

• Thread starter etc
  • Start date
In summary, the questions given for homework involve considering the acidity of stomach acid and how it affects the form and effects of Aspirin. There is a discussion on whether Aspirin would be mostly ionized or un-ionized in stomach acid, and how the stomach's acidity can contribute to stomach irritation from Aspirin. The idea of equilibrium and how pH affects the reaction is also mentioned.
etc
these questions were given to us to think 'bout for homework. I thought about the answers but I'm thinking i may be a bit wrong for some? i don't know .. if someone has an extra 2 minutes i'd appreciate their guru imput.

a)
stomach acid has a pH of about 1.5. Given the acidity of the stomach acid, would Aspirin dissolved in stomach acid be mostly in its ionized or un-ionized form?

For this I figured that aspirin is a weak acid and therefore doesn't fully ionize, in fact i think it's mostly in its molecular form. so, it must be in it's un-ionized form most, right? what i don't get about this is how they ask you to take into account the stomach's acidity ... ? anyone?

b) Un-ionized aspirin molecules can readily penetrate the stomach lining into a region of less acidity, this is where the stomach irritation associated with aspirin occurs. use le chatalier to explain.

for this i assume that since the pH is higher, then the equilibrium shift of the reaction would shift to the right and more H+ will be made, which is of course acidic, and it makes the new regions acidic, and therefore it irritates.

thanks guys!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
what i don't get about this is how they ask you to take into account the stomach's acidity ... ? anyone?

I suspect it is an equilibrium thing. Low pH = big H+ concentration, which would push the equilibrium with regards to the aspirin molecules a certain way...

for this i assume that since the pH is higher, then the equilibrium shift of the reaction would shift to the right and more H+ will be made, which is of course acidic, and it makes the new regions acidic, and therefore it irritates.

Exactamondo!

a) Your understanding is correct. Aspirin is a weak acid and therefore mostly exists in its molecular form in the stomach acid. The stomach's acidity does not affect the degree of ionization of aspirin.

b) Your explanation using Le Chatelier's principle is correct. The un-ionized aspirin molecules will react with the excess H+ ions in the less acidic region, leading to the production of more H+ ions and increasing the acidity in that region, which can cause irritation.

1. What is the purpose of taking aspirin?

Aspirin is a commonly used over-the-counter medication that is primarily used to relieve pain, reduce fever, and decrease inflammation. It is also often prescribed by doctors to prevent heart attacks and strokes in individuals who are at high risk.

2. How does aspirin work in the body?

Aspirin works by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins, which are responsible for causing pain, fever, and inflammation. This helps to reduce these symptoms and provide relief. Aspirin also has blood-thinning properties, which can help prevent blood clots and reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

3. What are the potential side effects of taking aspirin?

While aspirin is generally considered safe, it can cause side effects such as stomach irritation, heartburn, and nausea. In rare cases, it may also cause more serious side effects such as bleeding in the stomach or allergic reactions. It is important to always follow the recommended dosage and consult a doctor if you experience any adverse effects.

4. Can anyone take aspirin?

Aspirin is generally safe for most people to take, but there are some individuals who should avoid or use caution when taking it. People who are allergic to aspirin, have a bleeding disorder, or are taking certain medications should not take aspirin without consulting a doctor first. Pregnant women and children should also avoid aspirin unless directed by a doctor.

5. How often should I take aspirin?

The recommended dosage for aspirin varies depending on the reason for taking it. For pain relief and fever reduction, it is typically taken every 4-6 hours as needed. For heart attack or stroke prevention, a lower dosage is usually taken once a day. It is important to follow the instructions on the packaging or as directed by a doctor.