Calculating a and b in excel (any excel masters)?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use excel to find estimates of a and b. The person asks for help and pointers on how to approach the problem without having it done for them. They also ask for clarification on how to enter summations in excel. The conversation then provides a solution for entering summations in excel and a question about the meaning of the sigma symbol in the equations.
PCSL
Attached is a problem that I am supposed to use excel to find the best estimates of a and b. As I am horrible at excel could someone give me some pointers or an idea how to start? Please don't do it for me, I want to learn how to do it - I just need some help.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess a simpler question would be how would I go about entering summations in excel.

PCSL said:
I guess a simpler question would be how would I go about entering summations in excel.

One way is to select a cell, type "= sum(", then (left click) drag the mouse over the set of cells to be summed (release left click), then finish typing ")". The sum of the contents of the selected cells should then appear in the chosen cell.

Thanks for that gneill - can no one help me on the original question? :(

Another small question, is the sigma in the equations referring to the standard deviation or uncertainty?

1. How do I calculate the value of "a" in Excel using a formula?

To calculate the value of "a" in Excel, you can use the formula =B1/C1, where B1 and C1 represent the cells containing the values you want to divide. This will give you the result of a. You can also use the built-in function "QUOTIENT" by typing =QUOTIENT(B1,C1) into a cell, which will give you the same result.

2. Can I calculate "b" in Excel without using a formula?

Yes, you can calculate "b" in Excel without using a formula. You can simply enter the value of "b" into a cell and use that value in your calculations. However, using a formula is recommended as it allows for easier editing and updating of values.

3. How can I calculate "a" and "b" simultaneously in Excel?

To calculate both "a" and "b" simultaneously in Excel, you can use the "Solver" tool. This tool allows you to input the constraints and target values, and it will automatically calculate the values of "a" and "b" that satisfy those constraints. You can access the "Solver" tool under the "Data" tab in Excel.

4. Is there a way to calculate "a" and "b" in Excel using a graph?

Yes, you can use a graph to calculate "a" and "b" in Excel. To do this, you can plot your data points on a scatter plot and add a trendline. The equation of the trendline will include the values of "a" and "b" in the formula. You can then use the trendline equation to calculate the values of "a" and "b" for other data points.

5. How do I calculate "a" and "b" in Excel for a large dataset?

If you have a large dataset in Excel, you can use the "LINEST" function to calculate "a" and "b". This function allows you to perform linear regression on a set of data and returns the values of "a" and "b" in the formula. You can access this function by typing =LINEST(y-values,x-values) into a cell, where y-values and x-values represent the ranges of your data. This function can also be used for multiple linear regression with more than one independent variable.