Setting up a Teacher website questions

• Thread starter Head_Unit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the person is seeking help to set up a website as a teacher for their students. They want to post general interest content, solved homework and tests, and allow students to log in and view their grades. They are looking for an easy way to upload presentations, homework, and grades, and suggest using a website service that can automatically sync to EZ Grade. They are overwhelmed by the many hosting options available and are willing to pay for a service that makes their life easier. Some suggestions are made, including using a CMS or WordPress, and considering using unique identifiers for student names instead of their real names for confidentiality purposes.
Head_Unit
Hello, this doesn't seem to quite fit into any of the forums, but I'm hoping to find some help.

I want to set up a website as a teacher for my students to look at. I'd like to
- Post general interest stuff
- Post solved homework and tests
- Let the students log on to do the above and most of all look at their grades
- To that end, I want to post grades assignment-by-assignment. If there was a website service that could automatically sync to EZ Grade or such, THAT would be the killer app.

Any comments about all this are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of places that will host for you. It's rather overwhelming. But as a new teacher, I don't want to mess around with this much. I'm willing to pay a fee BUT for my money I want my life made very easy:
- Really easy to upload presentations, homework, etc
- Really easy to upload grades. Or WAY better, sync automatically to my grade book...

I'd just use a wordpress install, honestly. It'd do anything but the grades, but grades can be posted with an Excel sheet and having each student choose a unique identifier.

Do you mean like instead of student names, have them come up with their own names like "Birdie" or "#@$@" or "FlyGirl"?

Interesting idea. I'll have to check if that would meet confidentiality requirements, since some students could figure it out (only 1 kid aces a test, it's easy to spot them). If there is even a clear policy about that...

1. What is the purpose of setting up a teacher website?

The purpose of setting up a teacher website is to provide a platform for communication and collaboration between teachers, students, and parents. It can also serve as a central location for sharing important information, resources, and updates.

2. Do I need to have technical skills to set up a teacher website?

No, you do not need to have advanced technical skills to set up a teacher website. Many website builders and platforms offer user-friendly templates and tools that make it easy for teachers to create and customize their own website without any coding knowledge.

3. How much does it cost to set up a teacher website?

The cost of setting up a teacher website can vary depending on the platform or tools you choose to use. Some website builders offer free plans, while others may charge a monthly or annual fee. It is important to research and compare different options to find one that fits your budget and needs.

4. What information should I include on my teacher website?

Some important information to include on your teacher website may include your contact information, class schedule, curriculum and lesson plans, class rules and expectations, and resources for students and parents. You may also want to include a section for announcements and updates, upcoming assignments and tests, and links to useful educational websites.

5. Can I use a teacher website to communicate with parents and students?

Yes, a teacher website can be a great tool for communication with parents and students. You can use it to share important information, post class announcements and updates, and even create discussion forums or messaging features for students and parents to interact with each other and with you.