Jobs for someone with a Bachelors in Applied Physics

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on job opportunities for someone with a bachelors in applied physics, particularly in the field of electromagnetic theory and telecommunications. They are also considering pursuing a PhD in a related field and have received advice to gain programming skills to market themselves effectively in the job market. They also mention their plan to potentially return to a previous company for a higher level position after completing their PhD.
Xyius
Hello all!

I will be getting my bachelors in applied physics by this time next year and I was wondering what types of jobs are open to someone with such a degree? I am studying physics, not for financial ease, but simply because I truly love physics. So I am ignorant in the job a Physics major can obtain.

Electromagnetic theory has quickly become my absolute favorite subject of physics and I hope to eventually get a job dealing with this field such as telecommunications. I do not think I have such options at this point due to my lack of higher degrees.

If anyone can offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it. :D

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Question such as this can't be answered because you neglected to indicate WHERE you are looking for such jobs. You could be the top of your class in, say, Papua New Guinea, but because of the nature of the economy there, you certainly will have a horribly difficult time to find a job in applied physics.

Zz.

Scientific and engineering/technical socirties offer guidance on career opportunities. Most, if not all, have student memberships.

http://www.aps.org/careers/

http://careers.ieee.org/

One may narrow a search by looking in the area of telecommunications.

http://www.comsoc.org/career-center

ZapperZ said:
Question such as this can't be answered because you neglected to indicate WHERE you are looking for such jobs. You could be the top of your class in, say, Papua New Guinea, but because of the nature of the economy there, you certainly will have a horribly difficult time to find a job in applied physics.

Zz.

Sorry, I am obviously showing my ignorance in this subject. I am an american student seeking a job in america.

And thank you Astronuc for the links!

Xyius said:
Electromagnetic theory has quickly become my absolute favorite subject of physics and I hope to eventually get a job dealing with this field such as telecommunications.

Granted I got very lucky but my first job was playing with software for a computational physics company, the field that we dealt with most was E&M. It seems that E&M is one of the more marketable fields for physics. RF, optics, radar, etc. are always crossing EE and physics. I suggest to pick up some programming classes so you can get a hard skill to market yourself stronger because you'll be competing with EE's that have spent a lot more time doing E&M modeling and designing. While you were/are struggling through your upper level physics classes the EE's are most likely learning specific RF software which makes it harder on you.

Just a side note, my plan is to finish my PhD (leaning to E&M related now, photonics, accelerators, plasmas, etc.) and go back to the company I worked for and get a higher level position doing more of the actual physics work. I still have many contacts there and have full confidence that once I finish my PhD I'll be able to get back in there, this is an ideal situation. If you can get your foot in the door somewhere after your bachelor's and stay on good terms you'll be far ahead of the typical grad students in terms of contacts/job leads.

1. What types of jobs can I get with a Bachelor's in Applied Physics?

With a Bachelor's in Applied Physics, you can pursue various careers in industries such as engineering, research and development, technology, and healthcare. Some common job titles include research scientist, data analyst, quality control engineer, and medical physicist.

2. Can I work in the field of renewable energy with a Bachelor's in Applied Physics?

Yes, a Bachelor's in Applied Physics can lead to job opportunities in renewable energy companies. You can work as a renewable energy engineer, focusing on designing and developing sustainable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power.

3. What skills will I gain from a Bachelor's in Applied Physics that are desirable to employers?

A Bachelor's in Applied Physics equips you with a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, critical thinking, and experimental design. These skills are highly valued by employers in various industries, as they demonstrate your ability to analyze complex data, think logically, and come up with innovative solutions.

4. Is a Bachelor's in Applied Physics a good degree for those interested in pursuing graduate studies?

Yes, a Bachelor's in Applied Physics is an excellent degree for those interested in pursuing graduate studies. The program provides a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, which is essential for further studies in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

5. Are there any specific industries or companies that actively hire individuals with a Bachelor's in Applied Physics?

Industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology are known for hiring individuals with a Bachelor's in Applied Physics. Companies like NASA, Boeing, and Intel often have job openings for individuals with this degree. However, there are also many opportunities in other industries, so it's essential to research and explore different job options.