Is it worth staying in college an extra semester to double major?

In summary, the speaker is a second semester freshman who has declared a Physics BS and a minor in cognitive science. They are considering adding a Computer Science BS as a second major and have calculated that they can complete it by staying an extra semester and taking 17 credits per semester. The speaker's first semester GPA was 2.80 and they expect their second semester GPA to be 3.71. They are unsure of their career goals but are interested in research in neuroscience and believe that having both a physics and computer science major would be beneficial. The cost of tuition without dorm fees is $3300 and the speaker's father has invested in GE stock to cover their last year of tuition. The speaker is seeking guidance and opinions on whether it
mariexotoni
I'm a second semester freshman, and maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but..

Right now, I've declared a Physics BS and a minor in cognitive science. I've been thinking about declaring another major- Computer Science BS. i did some math and saw that some classes canceled out with each other, and if I stayed an extra semester- I could complete this by doing 17 credits per semester.
First semester gpa is like a 2.80
my second semester gpa should be about 3.71

I don't really know what specific career I want, but I dream of doing research in neuroscience and I feel like to be a good physicist, you should be good with computers. And in neurology, computers are really important- I feel like doing both majors are necessary.
And it probably doesn't make a big difference with the cog minor, but I think cog courses helps me to grow a lot and goes along with the field I want to end up in anyways...I wouldn't be living on campus after sophomore year- so just tuition and fees (dorming fees subtracted) is like 3300 bucks.

so is it worth it?
also my dad has invested in the ge stock to pay for my last year (its at 21 thousand dollars as of now), which covers more than my last year, even with dorming (15 thousand dollars)

if it isn't worth it, I will just major in Physics. I just need some guidance and opinions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is, of course, just an opinion, but I think the answer is clearly yes if and only if you can keep up with the work adequately. Don't let adding another degree push you to the point where you are so overwhelmed you aren't learning anything or your GPA is tanking.

I believe a physics BS by itself is kind of crappy for career prospects right out of school. You really need experience or education in some other field to combine with the physics for it to be valuable. Computer science, to me, seems like it would be one of those fields where you would be in great shape combining with physics. Whether one should double major or not should come down to a cost/benefit analysis and it sounds like you are fine on the finances side and one extra semester is nothing when you're looking at the long run.

And yes, you are getting ahead of yourself in the sense you definitely should not have whatever decision you make now set in stone. Your interests may change pretty dramatically by the time you graduate, a double major may stop making sense at some point, etc. Best advice I can give is be flexible in reaching your goals.

1. Is it financially worth it to stay in college for an extra semester to double major?

The answer to this question depends on several factors. Generally, having a double major may increase your job prospects and earning potential, so it can be a good long-term investment. However, you should also consider the cost of an extra semester of tuition, as well as any potential lost income if you could have been working instead.

2. Will staying in college for an extra semester to double major delay my career?

It's possible that staying in college for an extra semester to double major may delay your career by a few months. However, having two majors may make you more competitive in the job market and lead to better job opportunities, so it could also potentially accelerate your career in the long run.

3. What are the benefits of having a double major?

Having a double major can provide several benefits. It allows you to gain a more diverse and well-rounded education, as well as develop a wider range of skills. It may also make you more marketable to employers and open up more job opportunities.

4. Will having a double major increase my workload significantly?

Yes, having a double major will likely increase your workload compared to having a single major. However, if you are passionate about both subjects and manage your time effectively, it is possible to successfully complete the requirements for both majors without being overwhelmed.

5. Are there any downsides to having a double major?

One potential downside to having a double major is that it may limit the amount of time you have to take electives or explore other interests. Additionally, it may be more challenging to maintain a high GPA with the additional workload. It's important to carefully consider your priorities and goals before deciding to pursue a double major.