Countering Finasteride side effects with estrogen

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of finasteride for hair loss treatment and its potential effects on cognition. The individual shares their personal experience with the medication and their decision to continue using it despite potential side effects. They also mention the possibility of using estrogen to counteract the negative effects on cognition and ask for advice from others. However, it is recommended to consult a doctor before making any decisions or taking advice from strangers on the internet.
Kaspov
Introductory Story (feel free to ignore):

In the summer of 2011 I realized my hairline was receding to unmanageable levels even though I had just turned 20. I searched for drug treatments and finasteride came up as clearly the best choice - almost every study showed it was significantly more effective than minoxidil. I tried both finasteride and minoxidil. It felt weird. I had always noted that I lost the most hair when I was thinking hard about school problems - it's as if I was pushing more testosterone around to help me solve the problem and it felt damn good despite the dozens of hairs falling onto the paper as I sketched out the solution. I searched based on this and found a little bit of scientific evidence that both finasteride and minoxidil might make me a worse thinker:

Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice

Influence of potassium channel modulators on cognitive processes in mice

The irony of actually being granted the choice between intelligence and beauty was too amusing. I stopped treatment for the time being.Then I bedded a girl that I wanted to keep so naturally I gave finasteride another shot. I felt worse during the day after taking it the night before. I felt amazing every time I missed a dose. But I reasoned that being bald is not only bad for one's career in a field where younger candidates get employed way more easily, but also the depression from being bald would be much worse and extinguish my productivity. Not going bald had considerable tangible monetary value anyway you looked at it, so I continued the treatment. The effects were phenomenal, I was regrowing what hair I had lost before at breakneck speed. Then I fell ill due to a vitamin deficiency and stopped taking finasteride in the winter of 2012. I lost the hair I had gained just as fast and then some.

Question:

So finasteride inhibits hippocampal neurogenesis in mice at what are surely gratuitous doses according to this one paper (linked above). Not a real cause for alarm. Nevertheless I wish to counteract however small this effect might be at 1 mg in humans by supplementing with something that promotes hippocampal neurogenesis - estrogen for instance. Has anyone ever tried something like this? Does anyone know of better promoters than estrogen? I don't mind being a guinea pig as I'm not a risk-averse person to say the least. I would like to hear if anyone (preferably with more knowledge of biology than I) has other suggestions before I start taking estrogen and praying that I don't grow breasts. Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums. As per the medical forum rules we do not provide medical diagnosis or medical advice. I would implore you to consult your doctor before trying to self medicate and certainly before you start taking advise off of people on the internet!

1. How does estrogen help counter Finasteride side effects?

Estrogen is a hormone that can help counteract the side effects of Finasteride by balancing out the levels of testosterone in the body. Finasteride works by blocking the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which can lead to a decrease in libido and sexual function. Estrogen can help mitigate these effects by increasing the production of sex hormones and improving sexual function.

2. What are the common side effects of Finasteride and how can estrogen help?

The most common side effects of Finasteride include decreased libido, erectile dysfunction, and breast tenderness. Estrogen can help counteract these effects by increasing the production of sex hormones and promoting sexual function. Additionally, estrogen can help reduce breast tenderness by balancing out the levels of DHT in the body.

3. Is it safe to use estrogen to counter Finasteride side effects?

It is generally safe to use estrogen to counter Finasteride side effects, but it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new treatment. Estrogen can have its own side effects, such as changes in mood and increased risk of blood clots, so it is important to discuss any potential risks and benefits with a doctor.

4. Can both men and women use estrogen to counter Finasteride side effects?

Yes, both men and women can use estrogen to counter Finasteride side effects. While Finasteride is primarily used to treat hair loss in men, it can also be prescribed to women for certain conditions. Therefore, both men and women may experience side effects from Finasteride and can benefit from using estrogen to counteract them.

5. Are there any natural alternatives to using estrogen for Finasteride side effects?

There are some natural alternatives to using estrogen for Finasteride side effects, such as herbal supplements and lifestyle changes. Some herbs, such as saw palmetto and pumpkin seed extract, have been shown to help reduce the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Additionally, practicing stress management techniques and maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine can also help improve sexual function and overall well-being.