I guess I just want to know how you like to spend your free time after

• Thread starter Cbray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation reveals various hobbies and interests of the individuals such as programming, playing badminton and target shooting, teaching math, editing articles, playing video games, plastic canvas, music, gardening, bird-watching, exercise, photography, woodworking, flight simulators, reading, astronomy, classical music, classical piano, and needlework. The concept of a hobby and its distinction from a job is also discussed.
Cbray
I guess I just want to know how you like to spend your free time after hours and hours of maths and physics. Do you have a specific hobby or collecting? etc.
For me since I dedicated 4 hours a day to my study, I usually like to program little things on Python, and learn more about programming for example C++ and Html etc. I also play badminton and do target shooting on the weekends, I also love to teach people maths!

Physics news on Phys.org

I play video games.

SHISHKABOB said:
I play video games.

Your life seems like such a thrill ;)

I like to go on the net and edit stuff. Just the other day, I edited the Scateering theory wikipedia article with 36 factual errors.

P.S. I am a high-level nerd. :rofl:

Cbray said:
Your life seems like such a thrill ;)

it's quite thrilling, I enjoy myself thoroughly

I do plastic canvas.

Major hobbies: tennis, music, the beach, bike riding, the yard. Minor hobbies: cooking, physics, math, chess engines, movies.

Last edited:

From my profile:

berkeman's profile said:
Interests

Swim, bike, run, motocross, camping, hunting, scuba/free diving, outdoor activities and sports.

Cycling, Video Games, mathematics, guitar/piano.

Nothing wrong with playing video games.

failexam said:
I like to go on the net and edit stuff. Just the other day, I edited the Scateering theory wikipedia article with 36 factual errors.
Me too. I just edited the scattering theory article and removed 37 spelling errors.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Me too. I just edited the scattering theory article and removed 37 spelling errors.
Hey, I just put those errors in there. It's a hobby of mine.

My hobbies include music, gardening, and bird-watching.

Though my electric guitars don't gently weep - they would sob, since they never get out to play in public anymore. I should sell them (probably really cheap) to some young musicians who might give them new lives.

turbo said:
My hobbies include music, gardening, and bird-watching.

Though my electric guitars don't gently weep - they would sob, since they never get out to play in public anymore. I should sell them (probably really cheap) to some young musicians who might give them new lives.
Just wondering, do you still practice/play? I hope you don't sell all your instruments, because I think you would miss them.

ThomasT said:
Just wondering, do you still practice/play? I hope you don't sell all your instruments, because I think you would miss them.
I have a custom-made Augostino dread that I would never sell. I also have a small rosewood (cedar-topped) Taylor that is a joy. Can't part with them, but the electric instruments are not that dear to me. It's not that practical to take electrical guitars out on the back deck for a bit of entertainment. Grab one of the acoustics, and it's OK.

My passion is 'figuring out'

And sometimes I shoot pictures.

Mine? Calculus, C++, The Big Bang Theory (the show), and Minecraft.

Do hookers and blow count?

Andre said:
My passion is 'figuring out'

And sometimes I shoot pictures.

Feynman?

Evo said:
I do plastic canvas.

What is plastic canvas?

Video games ( haven't been able to play recently, it's been hell ), wrestling, weightlifting ( I love lifting ), soccer, maths, physics.

Drakkith said:
What is plastic canvas?

Google.

Using Blender (a 3d modelling program) to make mods for one of my favourite game Re-volt.
Listening music, playing the same game just mentioned, and Youtube for searching new music.

daveb said:
Do hookers and blow count?

:smile:

I can't believe nobody said Remote Control Car/Boat/Plane Toys.

Pretty wild that video games can be a hobby, long way from Super Mario Bros. & Duck Hunt.

Lately I enjoy a boxing video game that I play online. What a hoot. It seems to capture some of the "strategic" side of boxing.

by the way, what is a "hobby"?

nitsuj said:
I can't believe nobody said Remote Control Car/Boat/Plane Toys.

Pretty wild that video games can be a hobby, long way from Super Mario Bros. & Duck Hunt.

Lately I enjoy a boxing video game that I play online. What a hoot. It seems to capture some of the "strategic" side of boxing.

by the way, what is a "hobby"?

it's something you do in your off time, something that you enjoy doing and you do it of your own free will

video games are something I do for pleasure. I do a lot of other things, but video games are the most fun for me. Especially multiplayer games. They add a competitive aspect.

And what is a job? :smile:

nitsuj said:
And what is a job? :smile:

it's something you do for a living

for some people these things overlap, ofc. But you wouldn't call it a hobby if it was making you a living.

SHISHKABOB said:
it's something you do for a living

for some people these things overlap, ofc. But you wouldn't call it a hobby if it was making you a living.
There are times when you can make money from a hobby. I used to be able to make $30+ per hour on weekends playing music in taverns. That was not a "living" because I was unwilling to waste all my evenings playing in bars. That's a hard life.

flight sim, and videogames, reading, astronomy, walking, tv shows and movies, and classical music. I also play classical piano.

I never heard of Christmas cows!

My mother used to make woven baskets from wood strips and reeds (probably something from our Metis background) but they were beautiful! And functional. We still have them and treasure them. She taught my wife to make them, too. My wife's baskets never started out so tight (lots of hand-strength involved in construction) and loosened over the years as they dried, but we still use them to hold cash, small accessories, decks of playing cards, etc. Hand-made baskets can be treasures.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some of your favorite hobbies?

Some of my favorite hobbies include reading, hiking, and playing sports.

2. Do you have any specific interests or passions?

Yes, I am very passionate about photography and love capturing beautiful moments in nature.

3. How do you like to relax and unwind after a busy day?

I enjoy listening to music, watching movies, or spending time with my family and friends.

4. Are there any new activities or hobbies you have been wanting to try?

Yes, I have been wanting to try rock climbing and learning a new language.

5. Do you prefer spending your free time alone or with others?

It depends on my mood and the activity. Sometimes I enjoy spending time alone to recharge, but I also love spending quality time with my loved ones.