Solving a University Level EMF Problem: Need Help!

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in an electromagnetic fields course where there are two conductors, one inside a cylindrical shell and one outside. The question is whether the magnetic flux is zero due to the superposition of the two opposite currents. The solution states that the force will be applied to the right direction and the conversation explores the reasoning behind this. The concept of symmetry is mentioned as a way to approach the problem and correctly determine the magnetic flux.
monty0423
Hello,

I am trying to solve a problem in university level electromagnetic fields course.
The problem is in the attachment.

My answer is simple, that for the magnetic flux B[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] (vector field B[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]),
the Amperian loop will have a current equivalent to 0 because current through Amperian loop i = I - I = 0.
Therefore, B[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] = 0 because μ0*2*[itex]\pi[/itex]*ρ*B = i = 0.
However, the solution stated that the force will be applied to the right direction.

Could anybody enlighten me with what is wrong with my reasoning?

Attachments

• bowbow.jpg
    bowbow.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org

The closed path integral around a loop may be zero but that doesn't mean H is zero everywhere on the path. Using that sort of information profitably depends on taking advantage of symmetry to say H is the same everywhere around the loop.

So basically, my answer would have been correct if the centers of the two conductors in the left were the same, as in, if they were concentric?
How do I apply symmetry in this context?
The B→ is not zero because the superposition, B→ from the two opposite currents don't cancel out with each other due to the current-carrying conductors not being concentric?

monty0423 said:
So basically, my answer would have been correct if the centers of the two conductors in the left were the same, as in, if they were concentric?

Yes then you could have argued the component of H *along the path* is the same everywhere on the path and therefore must be zero. You would still have to make another argument (again symmetry) that the perpendicular component of H was also zero. Bits of current density in the cylindrical shell will cause a perpendicular component of B to appear at Ie.

How do I apply symmetry in this context?
The B→ is not zero because the superposition, B→ from the two opposite currents don't cancel out with each other due to the current-carrying conductors not being concentric?

That's right they don't cancel but you have the right idea -- use superposition.

The field due to the wire inside the cylinder is... the field due to the cylindrical conductor is... then add them together. Symmetry will come into play when you have to think about the field due to the cylindrical conductor.

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of magnetic flux and Amperian loops. However, I believe the issue with your reasoning lies in the assumption that the current through the Amperian loop is zero. In this problem, we are dealing with a changing magnetic field, which means there will be a time-varying electric field present as well. This electric field will induce a current in the Amperian loop, causing it to have a non-zero current and therefore a non-zero magnetic field.

In order to solve this problem accurately, you will need to use the full equation for Ampere's law, which takes into account the changing electric field. I suggest reviewing this equation and trying to solve the problem again.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

1. How do I approach solving a university level EMF problem?

To solve a university level EMF problem, it is important to first understand the principles and concepts of electromotive force (EMF). This involves familiarizing yourself with equations and formulas related to EMF, as well as understanding the different types of circuits and components involved. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller, manageable parts and to use a systematic approach to solving it.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an EMF problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an EMF problem include not properly labeling or understanding the components in the circuit, using incorrect equations or formulas, and not taking into account the direction of current flow. It is also important to double-check your calculations and be mindful of units and significant figures.

3. How can I verify the accuracy of my solution to an EMF problem?

One way to verify the accuracy of your solution is by using Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of voltages in a closed circuit must be zero and the sum of currents entering and leaving a junction must also be zero. You can also check your solution by using Ohm's law and comparing it to the given values in the problem.

4. What resources can I use to help me solve EMF problems?

There are many resources available to help with solving EMF problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also seek assistance from your professor or classmates, as well as attend review sessions or tutoring services offered by your university.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for EMF problems?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills for EMF problems is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of circuits and components. You can also try solving problems from different sources to expose yourself to a variety of scenarios. Additionally, seeking feedback and understanding your mistakes can help you improve in the future.