Does this happen with everyone?

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
In summary, Drakkith felt that starting from the basic concepts was more efficient and beneficial than going back to historical points.
Avichal
Whenever I start a new thing, I begin with the absolute beginning. For eg:- If I start studying electronics I will go back to discovery of electricity, discovery of electrons, cathode ray experiment etc. Similarly with other subjects. I just understand things much better this way.

So does this happen with anybody? There are times when studying advanced maths that I start wondering about how additions, subtraction are defined. I just like starting from beginning everytime I start something new. However this eats a lot of my time. While classes move on I see myself lagging behind.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not I. I need to understand the basic concepts first, but I don't need to go back to the dawn of physics to understand basic electronics. However if you literally didn't know what an electron really was before you took the course then I can understand that.

No I had all the prerequisites for the electronics course but still I felt the need to go back to the dawn of physics before starting the course.
Actually it happens with every course. I like to start from the very beginning before really getting into the course

Avichal said:
No I had all the prerequisites for the electronics course but still I felt the need to go back to the dawn of physics before starting the course.
Actually it happens with every course. I like to start from the very beginning before really getting into the course

Not sure what to tell ya. If that's the way you learn then I guess that's just the way you learn.

I'm with Drakkith. Basic concepts first, mix in a bit of history if it's interesting or relevant but it's not essential. For me it would be a massive waste of time and effort if for every subject I had to start from the historical perspective rather than starting with the basic concepts understood in modern times.

I guess you would enjoy learning the basics of math from a book like Russell and Whitehead's "Principia Mathematica".

If takes them about 370 pages to get to the point where they can start proving the proposition "1+1=2", and they finally complete the proof nearly 100 pages into Volume II, with the footnote "The above proposition is occasionally useful".

1. Does this happen with everyone?

This question often refers to a particular phenomenon or experience that a person is curious about. Whether something happens with everyone depends on various factors such as genetics, environment, and individual differences. It is best to consult with a professional in the relevant field to determine the likelihood of something happening with everyone.

2. Is this a common occurrence?

This question is also commonly asked when someone experiences something out of the ordinary. The answer to this question depends on the definition of "common." Some experiences or phenomena may be more prevalent in certain populations or regions, while others may be rare. Again, consulting with a professional can provide more accurate information on the frequency of an occurrence.

3. Can this be prevented?

This question is often asked when a person is concerned about a potential negative outcome. The answer depends on the specific situation and the cause of the phenomenon. In some cases, preventive measures can be taken, while in others, it may not be possible to prevent it from happening. It is best to seek advice from a professional for practical ways to prevent a specific occurrence.

4. Why does this happen?

This question is often asked out of curiosity or to gain a better understanding of a particular phenomenon. The answer can vary depending on the context. Some occurrences may have a scientific explanation, while others may be more complex and have multiple factors at play. Conducting research and consulting with experts can help provide an explanation for why something happens.

5. What can I do about it?

When a person experiences something out of the ordinary, they may want to know what actions they can take to address it. The answer depends on the cause of the phenomenon and the individual's specific situation. Seeking professional help and following any recommended advice can be the best course of action to address the issue.