Why did my weedeater keep going after I turned the power off?

• Thread starter bluemoonKY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a gas-powered weedeater's engine continuing to run even after the power button is turned off. The possible explanation for this is that the on/off switch may also act as a fuel flow shutoff, and the tank not being completely full could also be a contributing factor. The engine's behavior is compared to that of a diesel engine, which operates without a spark.
bluemoonKY
I used to be a groundskeeper, and I operated a weedeater for the job. I had a gas-powered weedeater. I don't remember the make or model of the weedeater. When I turned power button to off to turn off the weedeater, the engine on my weedeater would sometimes keep on going for over a minute after I turned the weedeater off. Why did my weedeater engine keep on running after I turned the power to off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the on/off switch is just a fuel flow shutoff.

It wasn't full yet.

lisab said:
It wasn't full yet.
:rofl:

bluemoonKY said:
I used to be a groundskeeper, and I operated a weedeater for the job. I had a gas-powered weedeater. I don't remember the make or model of the weedeater. When I turned power button to off to turn off the weedeater, the engine on my weedeater would sometimes keep on going for over a minute after I turned the weedeater off. Why did my weedeater engine keep on running after I turned the power to off?

It's obviously possessed. What more evidence do you need?

1. Why does my weedeater continue to run after I turn it off?

There are several possible reasons for this issue. One common cause is a malfunctioning ignition switch, which can keep the engine running even after the power is turned off. Another possibility is a stuck throttle or carburetor, which can cause the engine to continue running even when the power is cut off. It is also possible that the spark plug is faulty and causing the engine to run on residual fuel. It is best to have a professional inspect and repair the weedeater to determine the exact cause.

2. Can I fix this issue myself?

Depending on the cause of the problem, it may be possible to fix it yourself. If the issue is with the ignition switch, you may be able to replace it yourself with some basic tools. However, if the issue is with the carburetor or spark plug, it is best to seek the help of a professional to ensure proper repairs and to avoid potential safety hazards.

3. Is this a common problem with weedeaters?

The issue of a weedeater continuing to run after the power is turned off is not uncommon, but it is not a universal problem. It can happen due to various reasons, such as wear and tear, faulty parts, or user error. Proper maintenance and care can help prevent this issue from occurring.

4. Is it safe to use a weedeater that continues to run after being turned off?

No, it is not safe to use a weedeater that continues to run after being turned off. Not only can it cause damage to the weedeater, but it can also pose a safety hazard to the user and those around them. It is best to address and fix the issue before using the weedeater again.

5. How can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

The best way to prevent this issue from happening is to properly maintain your weedeater. Regularly clean and inspect the ignition switch, throttle, and carburetor for any signs of wear or damage. Also, make sure to use the correct fuel and oil mixture as specified by the manufacturer. If you notice any unusual behavior or sounds from the weedeater, have it serviced by a professional before using it again.