Schrodinger's Cat: Exploring Quantum Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around a thread for cat pictures on the Physics Forums website. One person observed a dead cat and another observed a live cat, leading to a discussion about the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment. The conversation also mentions that the thread is a trap and people may be drawn to it like a cat to a laser pointer.
Government$
attachment.php?attachmentid=59483&stc=1&d=1371049024.jpg

I apologize if somebody had already posted this.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I observed the cat to be dead. Sorry.

StevieTNZ said:
Actually I observed the cat to be dead. Sorry.

Well, I observed it to be alive, so there!

I gather that we observed two different cats. and in doing so, one died and another lived. RIP dead Schrodinger cat.

Evo said:

This is actually a trap. Doesn't matter that I told you, since people that post pictures of cats think like cats, themselves - meaning you'll respond to a cat picture thread the same way a cat responds to a laser pointer. Doesn't matter if there's nothing actually there, you won't be able resist it, regardless.

It just makes it more fun if you know it's a trap ahead of time and follow the thread, anyway.

1. What is Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment?

Schrodinger's Cat is a thought experiment created by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1935. It explores the concept of quantum superposition, where an object can exist in multiple states at the same time, by imagining a cat in a sealed box with a radioactive substance that may or may not decay, causing a device to release poison and kill the cat.

2. What is the significance of this thought experiment in quantum physics?

Schrodinger's Cat highlights the strange principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and the role of an observer in determining the outcome. It also serves as a way to explain the concept of quantum entanglement, where two particles can be connected even when separated by a great distance.

3. Is Schrodinger's Cat a real experiment or just a thought experiment?

Schrodinger's Cat is purely a thought experiment and has never been conducted in a laboratory. It was created to illustrate the paradoxes and complexities of quantum mechanics and is not intended to be tested in reality.

4. Can Schrodinger's Cat be used to explain other phenomena in quantum physics?

Yes, Schrodinger's Cat is often used as a metaphor for other quantum phenomena, such as the uncertainty principle and wave-particle duality. It also serves as a way to explain the concept of multiple parallel universes in the Many-Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Schrodinger's Cat?

No, Schrodinger's Cat is purely a thought experiment and has no practical applications. However, the principles it explores have been used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.