Finding the power series of a square root

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a power series for the function f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4+x^{2}}} at x=0. The conversation suggests using the definition of a power series and looking at what happens when differentiating a power series. It also mentions using the binomial expansion and finding the individual coefficients. The conversation ends with a reminder to review coursework and notes and to consider looking up the power series on Wikipedia.
adriaat

Homework Statement

Find a power series for [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4+x^{2}}}[/itex], at [itex]x=0[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution
I have looked up the Taylor series of [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{4+x^{2}}}[/itex], but I don't find any similarity with a power serie like [itex]\sum_{n\geq 0} a_{n} x^{n}[/itex]

I don't know how to start, anyone can lend me a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the definition of a power series.
Look at what happens when you differentiate the power series.
(Or just look up "power series")

Simon Bridge said:
Start with the definition of a power series.
Look at what happens when you differentiate the power series.
(Or just look up "power series")

I know that the differentiation of a power series is [itex]\sum n a_{n} x^{n-1}[/itex], so if by differentiating [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4+x^{2}}}[/itex] I got rid of the square root, I would know how to find a power series: integrating the result found by the power series of the differentiation. But I think it can't be applied here since any differentiation leads to a square root.

Why not use the binomial expansion?

You have ##f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n## it remains only for you to find out what the individual ##a_n##'s are.

How may you do that?

Hint:
Write out the first three or so terms explicitly.
What is f(x=0) in the power series? What is f(x=0) for the actual function?

You have ##f'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty na_nx^n## ... good. What is f'(0) in the series? What is f'(0) for the actual function?

See the pattern?

---------------------------

Aside 1:
Considering that this is homework - I'd expect that you have been asked specifically to find a power series expansion rather than some other approximation method. I would have expected that you have had some lessons that include the power series expansion and how to go about finding the coefficients. Have you reviewed your coursework and notes?

Or maybe look it up?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_series
... if f(x) is analytic then the coefficients have a simple form.

Aside 2:
I'm puzzled that you don't find resemblance with the Taylor series - since the Taylor series is a power series.

In the Maclaurin series (a Taylor series about x=0) the terms are $$f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n:a_n=\frac{f^{(n)}}{n!} $$ ... which is exactly the form you are looking for.

The suggestions above are supposed to help you realize this.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... + anxn, where an is a coefficient and x is the variable. It is used to represent a function as a sum of terms with increasing powers of x.

2. Why is it important to find the power series of a square root?

Finding the power series of a square root allows us to approximate the value of the square root for any given input. This can be useful in solving equations, evaluating limits, and performing other mathematical operations involving square roots.

3. What is the general formula for the power series of a square root?

The general formula for the power series of a square root is a0 + (1/2)a1x - (1/8)a2x2 + (1/16)a3x3 - ... +(-1)n(1/8)nanxn, where an is the coefficient of xn in the power series.

4. How do you find the coefficients for the power series of a square root?

The coefficients for the power series of a square root can be found using the binomial theorem or by differentiating the power series of the square root of 1-x and plugging in x=0. Alternatively, the coefficients can be found using the Taylor series expansion of the square root function.

5. Can the power series of a square root be used to find the square root of negative numbers?

No, the power series of a square root can only be used to approximate the value of the square root of positive numbers. The square root of a negative number is a complex number and cannot be represented by a power series.