Adding energy to an ideal gas without changing internal energy

In summary, the energy of an ideal gas is proportional to the temperature, but if the gas is to do work on the environment then PV will increase.
Numaholic
Hi everyone.

I thought of a question which has been bothering me. It is: Is there a case where energy is added to an ideal gas of constant amount where the energy added will equal the work done by the gas.

My thoughts: The energy of an ideal gas is proportional to the temperature. If the gas is to do work ΔW≠0 W=Fx=PV. If the gas is to do work on the environment then PV will increase. Using the ideal gas equation P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2. If P2V2 > P1V1 then T2 > T1. Therefore energy of the system has increased and it is impossible for the energy added to the ideal gas to equal the work done by the gas.

I don't know if I made an incorrect assumption or faulty argument, but the result doesn't seem intuitive to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Numaholic said:
Hi everyone.

I thought of a question which has been bothering me. It is: Is there a case where energy is added to an ideal gas of constant amount where the energy added will equal the work done by the gas.

My thoughts: The energy of an ideal gas is proportional to the temperature. If the gas is to do work ΔW≠0 W=Fx=PV. If the gas is to do work on the environment then PV will increase. Using the ideal gas equation P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2. If P2V2 > P1V1 then T2 > T1. Therefore energy of the system has increased and it is impossible for the energy added to the ideal gas to equal the work done by the gas.

I don't know if I made an incorrect assumption or faulty argument, but the result doesn't seem intuitive to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The amount of work is ∫PdV, not Δ(PV). This integral does not have to be equal to zero when the temperature is held constant (and PV is constant). For an isothermal reversible expansion, ∫PdV = nRT ln(Vfinal/Vinitial)

Chet

Is there a case where energy is added to an ideal gas of constant amount where the energy added will equal the work done by the gas.

You are looking for a situation where ##Q = W##

Your argument shows that the work done by an ideal gas is a function of the temperature change.
It has not shown that the heat added to the system cannot be as high as the work done by the system.

You can try seeing what the laws of thermodynamics have to say about Q=W ... or just have another look at the different thermodynamic processes you know about.
You have a nice hint in your working - it loks like any process where the temperature change is non-zero won't have Q=W doesn't it. So look for a process where T2=T1.

[edit: too slow - thanks chet]

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the laws of ideal gas behavior, including having particles that have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. It is often used as a simplified model for real gases.

2. How do you add energy to an ideal gas without changing its internal energy?

By definition, internal energy is the total energy of a system, including both its kinetic and potential energy. Therefore, adding energy to an ideal gas without changing its internal energy would involve increasing its kinetic energy (such as through heating) while keeping its potential energy constant.

3. Why would you want to add energy to an ideal gas without changing its internal energy?

There are various reasons why one might want to do this, such as studying the effects of temperature on pressure or volume without the complication of changing internal energy. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of thermodynamics in a controlled and simplified manner.

4. What happens to an ideal gas when energy is added without changing its internal energy?

When energy is added to an ideal gas without changing its internal energy, its temperature and pressure will increase while its volume remains constant. This is because the added energy increases the kinetic energy of the gas particles, causing them to move faster and collide more frequently with the walls of the container, resulting in an increase in pressure.

5. Is it possible to add energy to an ideal gas without any changes in its properties?

No, it is not possible to add energy to an ideal gas without any changes in its properties. As discussed, adding energy will result in changes in temperature, pressure, and potentially other properties such as volume or density. However, the internal energy of the gas will remain constant, as it is a defined property of the system.