How does battery chargers work?

In summary: If the output current is higher than the input current, a transformer will be required to bring the voltage down to the battery level.
rsnd
I mean do you input a lot of current and it has some sort of capacitor in it to sotore the charge? any links I can make use of?

Thanks heaps

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is not correct please inform me and I am sorry ahead of time. But if i remember correctly from my physics class the way the battery is used up is that the electrons from the negative end are all transferred to the positive end through a chemical reaction. The way you charge a battery is you reverse this process by giving the negative side a stronger positive charge making the electrons want to go back to the other side. To my knowledge there is no energy lost or given just transferred from one side to another. There is a limit to how many times you can reacharge a batter but it is a lot and you dotn have to worry about that. Also you could charge every battery but it wouldn't be wise to do it because the battery could explode spewing some battery acid around and That is not a good thing.

:bugeye:Hmm...how about AC batteries? e.g. If I wanted to store energy directly from an AC generator which is to act as a battery charger?

Thanks

rsnd said:
:bugeye:Hmm...how about AC batteries? e.g. If I wanted to store energy directly from an AC generator which is to act as a battery charger?

Thanks

There is no such thing as an AC battery. All batteries are DC.
If you want to charge a battery from an AC source, you must rectify the current. Noneed for a filtering capacitor, since the battery will act as a filter.
If the voltage ofthe AC source is much greater than the voltage of the battery, you will need a transformer to lower the voltage.

SGT said:
There is no such thing as an AC battery. All batteries are DC.
If you want to charge a battery from an AC source, you must rectify the current. Noneed for a filtering capacitor, since the battery will act as a filter.
If the voltage ofthe AC source is much greater than the voltage of the battery, you will need a transformer to lower the voltage.

Which is what, in most cases, the battery charger will do. It plugs into the A.C. and then outputs a D.C. voltage, and depending on the quality/expense of the charger, will also allow you to select various "current" ranges. That allows you to either charge the battery quickly, or more slowly. For an example, if it's the type of charger you use with an automotive battery, you might have a low current output of 2-10 amps, a midrange of 25 amps and a "heavy duty" output of 60 amps.

Well...thats a lot of current you are talking about! Please fix me up if i am wrong or there is a better way of looking at it! So It would not matter about what current/voltage I input to the charger, as long as I input a fare amount of each over time to make up for the energy I am trying to store for later use!

Thanks a lot!

rsnd said:
Well...thats a lot of current you are talking about! Please fix me up if i am wrong or there is a better way of looking at it! So It would not matter about what current/voltage I input to the charger, as long as I input a fare amount of each over time to make up for the energy I am trying to store for later use!

Thanks a lot!

If you are using an AC source, the amplitude of the voltage supplied to the charger is irrelevant. A transformer can drop the voltage to the value requested by the battery. The output voltage must be superior to the battery voltage in order to charge it, but the excess voltage should not be excessive, or you will damage the battery.
The current supplied to the battery is generally limited by the battery itself. AsBigBoa mentioned, more elaborate chargers, like the ones used in automotive batteries, allow a limiting of the output current and a longer charging time (fast charged batteries have their lifespan shortened).
The current input to the charger is limited by the output current.

1. How do battery chargers work?

Battery chargers work by converting alternating current (AC) from an outlet to direct current (DC) that can be stored in a battery. The charger uses a series of components, such as rectifiers and capacitors, to regulate the voltage and current to the appropriate levels for the battery.

2. What is the difference between a trickle charger and a smart charger?

A trickle charger is a basic charger that supplies a constant low charge to a battery over a long period of time. On the other hand, a smart charger has a microprocessor that can adjust the charging rate based on the battery's condition and needs, allowing for faster and more efficient charging.

3. Can I use any charger for my battery?

It is recommended to use the charger that came with your battery or a charger specifically designed for your type of battery. Using the wrong charger can result in overcharging, which can damage the battery and potentially cause safety hazards.

4. How long does it take to charge a battery?

The charging time for a battery can vary depending on factors such as the battery's capacity, the charging rate of the charger, and the current charge level of the battery. Generally, a full charge can take anywhere from a few hours to overnight.

5. Can I leave my battery on the charger for an extended period of time?

It is not recommended to leave a battery on the charger for an extended period of time, as it can lead to overcharging and damage the battery. Once the battery is fully charged, it is best to disconnect it from the charger to avoid any potential hazards.