Easy physics questions, please check my answers

• Thread starter future_vet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, when sitting on a chair, the resultant force on you is down due to gravity. In the absence of an external force, a moving object will have a constant velocity. And for an object on an inclined plane, the angle at which it begins to slide is equal to the coefficient of static friction between the object and the plane.
future_vet

Homework Statement

When you sit on a chair, the resultant force on you is ..?

The Attempt at a Solution

Down, because of gravity?

Homework Statement

In the absence of an external force, a moving object will:
stop immediately
slow down and eventually come to a stop MY ANSWER
go faster and faster
move with constant velocity

Homework Statement

An object is placed on an inclined plane. The angle of the incline is gradually increased until the object begins to slide. The angle at which this occurs is theta. What is the coefficient of static friction between the object and the plane?

Homework Equations

tan(theta)
That's what I understood, but I need to make sure...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
All of your answers are incorrect. Try again, draw force diagrams and really think these problems through.

For the first one, the force on the chair is down, but the force on me is up... Would this be correct?

For the second one, I reviewed the laws, and I would say that the velocity would stay constant (unless some external force came into play). Would this be correct?

future_vet said:
For the first one, the force on the chair is down, but the force on me is up... Would this be correct?

Yes, that's better. For the second question, start with F=ma.

EDIT -- And I believe that your answer for the 3rd one is correct, [tex]\mu_s = tan( \Theta )[/tex]

Last edited:
Are you absolutely sure my last answer is incorrect?...

The Prenhall website has the same question. I entered an answer other than tan to make sure, and I got:
An object is placed on an inclined plane. The angle of incline is gradually increased until the object begins to slide. The angle at which this occurs is θ. What is the coefficient of static friction between the object and the plane?

Your Answer:
sin θ

Correct Answer:
tan θ

berkeman said:
Yes, that's better. For the second question, start with F=ma.

You mean that if F doesn't change, and m doesn't change, a will be constant?

future_vet said:
For the second one, I reviewed the laws, and I would say that the velocity would stay constant (unless some external force came into play). Would this be correct?

That is correct.

future_vet said:
You mean that if F doesn't change, and m doesn't change, a will be constant?

No, I mean that if there is no external force, the acceleration is zero. And you correctly inferred that this means the velocity is constant.

Thank you!

the resultant force on me is mg upward where m is my mass angd is acceleration due to gravity

in absence of external force body moves with constant velocity

What is physics?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

What are some basic concepts in physics?

Some basic concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, and matter. These concepts can be applied to a wide range of phenomena and are essential for understanding the physical world.

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting scientific research. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments to test the hypothesis, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both an object's speed and direction of motion. In other words, velocity takes into account the object's displacement over time.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.