How to convert TV Recordings into Slow Motion MPEGS

In summary: If you don't have a firewire interface, you can buy one. But make sure your DVR has a firewire interface first!
LightbulbSun
I have this baseball game on my DVR, and there's a segment of it that I wish to convert to my computer into a slow motion MPEG and I was wondering what the process is for going about this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
LightbulbSun said:
I have this baseball game on my DVR, and there's a segment of it that I wish to convert to my computer into a slow motion MPEG and I was wondering what the process is for going about this?
Basically you save the .dv file on the computer, then use a video processing application to select the sections you want in slow motion and save those as mpeg.
Any good video processing app will do this. A good balance between ease of use and set of features would be for instance Pinnacle Studio.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
Basically you save the .dv file on the computer, then use a video processing application to select the sections you want in slow motion and save those as mpeg.
Any good video processing app will do this. A good balance between ease of use and set of features would be for instance Pinnacle Studio.

But how do I get the .dv file onto the computer?

LightbulbSun said:
But how do I get the .dv file onto the computer?
If it is a DVR it presumably has a firewire interface that you can use. You need a firewire interface on your PC or laptop.

You obviously can use another type of connection (S-Video or Composite) with a video capture card but you will suffer a big loss of information compared to digital video.

MeJennifer said:
If it is a DVR it presumably has a firewire interface that you can use. You need a firewire interface on your PC or laptop.

You obviously can use another type of connection (S-Video or Composite) with a video capture card but you will suffer a big loss of information compared to digital video.

How do I get a firewire interface?

Last edited by a moderator:
MeJennifer said:
Most laptops and various PCs already have them buit-in. But you can always buy a firewire card, they are inexpensive.

But make sure your DVR has a firewire interface first! What's you make and model?

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&q=firewire+" is what a firewire interface and cable looks like.

I can't look at it now, but it's a Time Warner Cable product. After looking at those pictures I'm pretty confident it's already built-in, but I'll have to check tomorrow.

The only issue will be getting it connected to my computer since my computer is a decent enough distance away from the TV.

LightbulbSun said:
How do I get a firewire interface?

You either have one, or you don't.

The jack will look like one of the following images:

FirewireSocket.jpg

1. How do I convert my TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS?

To convert TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS, you will need to use a video editing software. There are many different options available, both paid and free, such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, or iMovie. These programs allow you to import your TV recording, adjust the playback speed, and export it as an MPEG file.

2. Can I convert my TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS using my TV or DVD player?

No, you cannot convert TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS using your TV or DVD player. These devices are meant for playback and do not have video editing capabilities. You will need to use a video editing software on a computer to convert your TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS.

3. Is there a specific frame rate I should use when converting TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS?

The frame rate you use will depend on the frame rate of your original TV recording. For best results, it is recommended to use a frame rate that is half of your original recording's frame rate. For example, if your TV recording is at 60 frames per second, you should use a frame rate of 30 frames per second for your slow motion MPEG.

4. Will converting TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS affect the video quality?

Yes, converting TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS can affect the video quality. The extent of the impact will depend on the video editing software and settings used. To minimize any loss in quality, it is recommended to use a high-quality video editing software and to export the file at a high resolution.

5. Can I adjust the degree of slow motion when converting TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS?

Yes, you can adjust the degree of slow motion when converting TV recordings into slow motion MPEGS. Most video editing software will allow you to adjust the playback speed to your desired level of slow motion. You can also use the software's timeline to adjust the specific portions of the video where you want the slow motion effect to occur.