When Will the Thrown Ball Reach the Ground?

In summary: and can result in a quicker solution.sometimes it helps to reduce error and make life easier to plug in the x = vi t + 1/2 at^2 formula into the quadratic equation first and simplify before plugging in the actual values... this approach makes life easier for some ppl and can result in a quicker solution.
veloix
1. Homework Statement [/
A ball is thrown directly downward, with an initial speed of 7.15 m/s, from a height of 31.0 m. After what time interval does the ball strike the ground?

Homework Equations

All the kinematics equations dealing with velocity and height and accelration. need to solve for time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this one couple of times. The first thing I did was use the equation Yf=Yi+Viyt+1/2(a)t^2.

I chose the top to be postive.
0= 31.0m+ 7.15 m/s(t)+1/2(-9.80)t^2
I saw that this look like a qudratic equation so i work it out
ax+bx+cx
-7.15 m/s +/-[(-7.15-4(-4.90)(31.0)/2(-4.90)]^1/2
it came out to be
-7.15+7.53 = 0.38
-7.15-7.53= -14.68
i think I am not doing something right, need some help with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't personally check it, but it seems fine. The ball would hit the ground within a couple seconds or so (approx sqrt(6)) if you just dropped it, so if you throw it down it will be even quicker, like the half a second you got.

Viy = -7.15m/s since it is thrown downward.

oh ok i going compute this out then ty.

hmm its still not comeing out right i check my work but i keep getting the wrong anwser. I don't know what else i can do.

veloix said:
hmm its still not comeing out right i check my work but i keep getting the wrong anwser. I don't know what else i can do.

What time do you get?

when i caluclated everything t came out to be 15.34 if I chose the positve and -1.04 with the negative.

veloix said:
when i caluclated everything t came out to be 15.34 if I chose the positve and -1.04 with the negative.

can you show your calculations?

0= 31.0m + (-7.15 m/s)t + 1/2(-9.80 m/s^2)t^2
X= -(-7.15)+/-[-7.15^2-4(-4.90)(31.0)/2(-4.90)]^1/2
X=-(-7.15)+/-[-51.12-(-608)/-9.80]^1/2
X=-(-7.15)+/-[557/-9.80]^2
X=-(-7.15)+/-[-56.8]^1/2 hmm i made a mistake with my signs man thse quads are tough hehe. i guess the solutions i got before don't reall exsit because of the negative rooot. hmmmm

veloix said:
0= 31.0m + (-7.15 m/s)t + 1/2(-9.80 m/s^2)t^2
X= -(-7.15)+/-[-7.15^2-4(-4.90)(31.0)/2(-4.90)]^1/2
X=-(-7.15)+/-[-51.12-(-608)/-9.80]^1/2
X=-(-7.15)+/-[557/-9.80]^2
X=-(-7.15)+/-[-56.8]^1/2 hmm i made a mistake with my signs man thse quads are tough hehe. i guess the solutions i got before don't reall exsit because of the negative rooot. hmmmm

Hmmm... I don't think you're applying the quadratic equation properly. the /2a part doesn't go inside the square root... and you should have (-7.15)^2 = 51.12 not -7.15^2=-51.12

wow i was messing that up all kinds of ways i finally got the right anwser. thanks a lot for your help you save me on endless path hehe. the right anwser was 1.89s using the positive side.

veloix said:
wow i was messing that up all kinds of ways i finally got the right anwser. thanks a lot for your help you save me on endless path hehe. the right anwser was 1.89s using the positive side.

cool! no prob!

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5994/freefallgn3.jpg

sometimes it helps to reduce error and make life easier to plug in the x = vi t + 1/2 at^2 formula into the quadratic equation first and simplify before plugging in the actual values... this approach makes life easier for some ppl

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a free falling object?

A free falling object is any object that is falling under the influence of gravity alone, with no other forces acting on it. This is also known as free fall or gravitational acceleration.

2. How does the acceleration of a free falling object change?

The acceleration of a free falling object remains constant at approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that for every second an object falls, its speed increases by 9.8 meters per second.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a free falling object?

The acceleration of a free falling object is affected by the mass and the gravitational force of the object. Objects with greater mass will have a greater gravitational force, thus falling faster. Additionally, objects falling in a vacuum will have the same acceleration as objects falling in air due to air resistance.

4. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a free falling object?

The distance traveled by a free falling object can be calculated using the equation d = (1/2)gt^2, where d is the distance in meters, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

5. What is the difference between free fall and terminal velocity?

Free fall refers to the motion of an object falling under the influence of only gravity. Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling due to the balance between gravity and air resistance. Once an object reaches terminal velocity, it will continue to fall at a constant speed with no further acceleration.