Reduction formula, integration problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around using reduction formula to solve a definite integral from 0 to pi/4. The sec^2 x term disappears in the integration process due to the substitution of dx with d(tan x)/sec^2 x. The final expression can be evaluated at both limits of integration. The user also asks about the meaning of the other user's signature line, which translates to "Learn as if you were going to live forever, live as if you were going to die tomorrow."
JFonseka

Homework Statement

Part of an example of using reduction formula, I won't post the whole question as I get most of it, just at the very end, magical things happen with the working and things disappear, as they usually do with integration:

The definite integral goes from 0 to pi/4

=>[tex]\int[/tex] tan[tex]^{n-2}[/tex] x sec[tex]^{2}[/tex] x dx
=>tan[tex]^{n-1} x/n -1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, what happened to the sec[tex]^{2}[/tex] x in the integration process?
I see the tan got integrated, but I can't figure out how sec disappears

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\tan x = sec^2x[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow dx = \frac{d\left(\tan x\right)}{\sec^2 x}[/tex]

Ah...I see, so that's how the sec^2 x gets canceled out.

Thanks hootenanny!

JFonseka said:
Ah...I see, so that's how the sec^2 x gets canceled out.

Thanks hootenanny!
A pleasure.

Since the integral is a definite integral, you should end up with a number, or at least an expression that doesn't involve n. Your final expression can easily be evaluated at both limits of integration.

As a minor point, you're using an "implies" symbol (==>) incorrectly. The first integral doesn't "imply" the second; it's equal to it.

Hootenanny said:
A pleasure.
It probably has been asked before, but what's the English equivalent of your signature line? I think I understand a few of the words.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

speak? almost always of victory? live almost ?? (you?) die

Thanks

Mark44 said:
disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

speak? almost always of victory? live almost ?? (you?) die
I'm impressed! You're quite close to the literal translation, but the meaning is

"Learn as if you were going to live forever, live as if you were going to die tomorrow".

1. What is a reduction formula?

A reduction formula is a mathematical tool used to simplify the integration of complicated functions. It allows for the integration of a function to be broken down into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. How does a reduction formula work?

A reduction formula works by repeatedly applying a mathematical operation to an integral until it can be expressed in terms of a simpler integral. This process continues until the integral can be easily solved using basic integration techniques.

3. When is a reduction formula useful?

A reduction formula is useful when attempting to integrate functions that cannot be easily solved using basic integration techniques. It allows for the integration process to be broken down into smaller steps, making it more manageable.

4. What are the steps to use a reduction formula?

The steps to use a reduction formula are as follows:

• 1. Identify the function to be integrated.
  • 2. Use algebraic manipulation to simplify the function, if possible.
  • 3. Apply the reduction formula to the integral.
  • 4. Repeat the process until the integral can be easily solved.
  • 5. Solve the simpler integrals and combine the results to get the final answer.

5. Can a reduction formula be used for all integration problems?

No, a reduction formula is only applicable to certain types of integrals. It is most commonly used for integrals involving trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and rational functions.