Why do mathematicians use i, j, and k to represent unit vectors in quaternions?

• Thread starter Starwatcher16
  • Start date
In summary, the cross product is defined in a specific way in order to make it a useful and concise concept in mathematics. It is a result of years of development and stumbling upon various ideas, including the use of complex numbers and quaternions. The Levi-Cevita symbol, while connected to the cross product, is a more advanced concept and not necessary to understand the basic concept of the cross product.
Starwatcher16
axb=-bxa, why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
a or b = 0?

Starwatcher16 said:
axb=-bxa, why?

Because of the Right Hand Rule.

berkeman said:
Because of the Right Hand Rule.

I have two vectors perpendicular to each other in the xy plane, if I take their cross product, I get another vector in the z plane.

I don't understand why one should be going +z, as opposed to the other way.

Starwatcher16 said:
I have two vectors perpendicular to each other in the xy plane, if I take their cross product, I get another vector in the z plane.

I don't understand why one should be going +z, as opposed to the other way.
Because there is no logical way they should go so we just defined AxB as -BxA and it follows the right hand rule in a right handed coordinate system. The cross product is a vector perpendicular to both the crossed vectors and its length is the area of the parallelogram you get, the deal is that either up or down works for this definition so we just have to define either AxB or BxA as up and then the other down, which is why AxB=-BxA.

compute it using determinants and you should see why

[tex]|A\times B| = |A||B|\sin{(\theta_B-\theta_A)}[/tex]

[tex]|B\times A| = |A||B|\sin{(\theta_A-\theta_B)}=|A||B|\sin{-(\theta_B-\theta_A)}=-|A||B|\sin{(\theta_B-\theta_A)} = - |A\times B|[/tex]

Uhhh, qntty...

I believe the magnitudes of the two vectors are the same.

;(((

Why? Do the math with the definition of the cross product using the epsilon tensor which is antisymmetrical under the exchange of two indices:
[tex](a \times b)_i &=& \sum_{j=1}^3 \sum_{k=1}^3 \epsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k \\
&=& \sum_{j=1}^3 \sum_{k=1}^3 - \epsilon_{ikj}a_jb_k[/tex]
renaming of indices changing summation order:
[tex]&=& \sum_{j=1}^3 \sum_{k=1}^3 - \epsilon_{ijk}a_k b_j \\
&=& - (b \times a)_i[/tex]

0xDEADBEEF:

Wow, that was helpful.

None of the answers so far really answer the question. The real answer is that the cross product defined in the way it is defined is an extremely useful concept.

Mathematics has a dirty little secret. Mathematicians stumble in developing concepts just like everyone else. Eventually they stumble across a very concise and coherent representation. Mathematics is taught sans all of the stumbling around. The development of vector analysis took a lot of stumbling around throughout much of the 1800s.

One of the key developments was that of quaternions by Hamilton. Ever wonder why we use i,j,k to represent the unit vectors? Simple: In complex analysis, i is the square root of -1. Hamilton saw a way to extend complex numbers to 4 dimensions, using two new symbols j and k. The quaternions have real and imaginary parts, but now the imaginary part is written in terms of i, j, and k. As with complex numbers, i2=-1. Those extra symbols? Just as i2=-1, j2=k2=-1. However, j and k are something separate from i. For one thing, ijk=-1. One consequence: ij=k, jk=i, and ki=j. Another consequence is that multiplication in the quaternions is not commutative. Hamilton described his quaternions as comprising a scalar part and a vector part (the word vector is Hamilton's invention).

Heaviside saw Hamilton's vectors as being more useful than his quaternions. He tied vectors to things like the area of a parallelogram (see post #7), electrodynamics (Maxwell's equations are a lot easier in vectors than in quaternions), and a host of other things.

The Levi-Cevita symbol (post #9)? That came along later than the concept of the cross product and is also far too advanced a concept for someone struggling with basic vector analysis.

1. How do you solve an equation with variables on both sides?

To solve an equation with variables on both sides, you need to isolate the variable on one side by using inverse operations. First, you can combine like terms on both sides of the equation. Then, use inverse operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to get the variable on one side and the constants on the other side. Finally, solve for the variable by dividing both sides by its coefficient.

2. What is the importance of maintaining balance when solving an equation?

Maintaining balance in an equation is crucial because it ensures that both sides of the equation have the same value. When solving an equation, you are essentially trying to find the value of the variable that satisfies the equation. If the equation is not balanced, you will get an incorrect solution, and the equation will not hold true.

3. How can you check if your solution to the equation axb=-bxa is correct?

To check if your solution to the equation axb=-bxa is correct, you can substitute the value of the variable that you have solved for into the original equation. If the equation holds true, then your solution is correct. Another way to check is by simplifying both sides of the equation and seeing if they are equal.

4. Can the equation axb=-bxa have more than one solution?

Yes, the equation axb=-bxa can have more than one solution. This can occur when the variable being solved for has a coefficient of 0 or when the coefficients on both sides of the equation are equal. In these cases, any value for the variable will satisfy the equation, making it have more than one solution.

5. What are some tips for solving equations with variables on both sides?

Some tips for solving equations with variables on both sides include combining like terms, using inverse operations, and checking your solution. It is also helpful to keep the equation balanced at each step and to be careful with negative signs. If you are stuck, you can try isolating the variable on one side first, then move on to the other side. Practice and familiarity with basic algebraic concepts will also make it easier to solve these types of equations.