Trying to install a modem (USB) in Ubuntu

In summary: Ubuntu!In summary, the conversation discusses the installation of Ubuntu 7.10 and the difficulty in installing a Huawei SmartAX MT882 modem. The individual has no experience with Ubuntu/Linux and is seeking help. The conversation mentions changing to version 9.1 and the possibility of using a modern router instead of the modem. The conversation also touches on the difficulty in replacing the Ubuntu version and the potential for generic driver support. It is suggested to try using the ethernet cable for internet connection and to consider purchasing a router. The conversation also discusses past issues with the ethernet cable and the option of getting a new modem. Overall, the conversation provides advice and potential solutions for the installation and internet connectivity issues.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 and I'm unable to install my modem which works perfectly under Windows XP. The model is a Huawei SmartAX MT882. I have the drivers in a CD I believe, but I'm unable to install them. I have absolutely no experience with Ubuntu/Linux so any help is welcome.
P.S.: I can't use the Ethernet cable.

Computer science news on Phys.org
yeah I bet there aren't drivers that will work. you may want to buy a modern router which you likely won't need a driver

btw, why aren't you using 9.1?

Greg Bernhardt said:
yeah I bet there aren't drivers that will work. you may want to buy a modern router which you likely won't need a driver

btw, why aren't you using 9.1?

Ouch!
Because it has been more than a year I was doubting about installing Ubuntu. I had downloaded the live CD by that time. Recently I've read that the installation could work with drivers and I decided to install Ubuntu. I thought it would have been easy to get Internet and then actualizing to Ubuntu 9.1.
Are you sure that no driver would work?
I attach a PDF file in the CD of my modem. It says how to install them but with RedHat 8.0 I think. I've tried to follow them, but the command [nameofuser@ys src]# didn't work.

Attachments

• USB Driver Installation Guide.pdf
    341.8 KB · Views: 340
No I'm not sure, but I did some research and many others have your problem with the only solution being to buy a router to put in between.

Ok, thank you!
Even with the version 9.10? I might try it... I'm downloading it right now. I just don't know how to replace my 7.10 version though.

fluidistic said:
Even with the version 9.10?

It's worth a shot, there may be some generic driver support for it now.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's worth a shot, there may be some generic driver support for it now.
I hope so. :)
By the way, do you know how to replace my Ubuntu version?

fluidistic said:
I hope so. :)
By the way, do you know how to replace my Ubuntu version?

btw you could also get your ISP to replace your modem. The MT882 is over five years old. Burn the ISO to cd, reformat the drive and boot up the cd.

Greg Bernhardt said:
btw you could also get your ISP to replace your modem. The MT882 is over five years old. Burn the ISO to cd, reformat the drive and boot up the cd.

I don't think they're willing to replace this modem. I have it since last year, this is the modem they are still sending to everyone using their brand. I might buy another one although I'm not sure which, but I prefer to stick with the one I have now.

About replacing my version, when you say "reformat the drive", I have to do it via Ubuntu? What if I boot up the CD first? From there, can I replace my version? I'll try... but I'm still at 14% of my downloading.
Thank you Greg for all!

fluidistic said:
P.S.: I can't use the Ethernet cable.

Why can't you use ethernet?

waht said:
Why can't you use ethernet?
Believe it or not, but when I bought my computer (back in 2007), I used the ethernet cable. I had the blue screen of death appearing each 15 minutes or so. It was impossible to use my computer. After several months of sending it to the store I bought it, they suggested me to change my RAM memory. I did so, but the problem remained. They however never had the problem when using my computer, because they had used the USB port to use Internet. The technician told me it can be due to the ethernet cable because he tried everything on my computer and all went fine. I tried the USB port, and I never had this blue screen again.
So I wouldn't even try the ethernet cable for linux since I've a dual boot with Windows XP and I don't feel like changing cables each time I change of operating system.

If the ethernet cable is bad then you can change it - it's only a few bucks.

If the ethernet port on the computer is bad, then your store should have given you a refund if under warranty, or installed a separate ethernet card which also costs only a few bucks - very very cheap.

There could be an issue with win XP, or something not configured correctly.

waht said:
If the ethernet cable is bad then you can change it - it's only a few bucks.

If the ethernet port on the computer is bad, then your store should have given you a refund if under warranty, or installed a separate ethernet card which also costs only a few bucks - very very cheap.

There could be an issue with win XP, or something not configured correctly.

I agree... but here it's not really easy to complain (Argentina). My microphone also doesn't work. It's the computer, not the ethernet cable.

I've installed the new version but the problem still persists.
Tomorrow I'll try to search on the Internet if someone else has the same problem.
I welcome any other help though. Thank you guys!

Your modem has a network interface you would be crazy to use the USB, the performance will be terrible and the drivers will be crap.
Just connect the network cable between the modem and your computer.

Or better still, get a router ($30 linksys) that will allow you to connect lot's of computers and mean you (mostly) don't have to worry about hacking attempts.

mgb_phys said:
Your modem has a network interface you would be crazy to use the USB, the performance will be terrible and the drivers will be crap.
Just connect the network cable between the modem and your computer.

Or better still, get a router ($30 linksys) that will allow you to connect lot's of computers and mean you (mostly) don't have to worry about hacking attempts.

I just bought the ethernet cable (it seems I can't find the one I had) and I'm replying to you from Ubuntu! Incredible. I thank you all so much, you've helped me a lot!
However I don't know if Windows will be stable with the ethernet cable (nor Ubuntu in fact, since I use it since 4 minutes :) ).
I already had the blue screen of death even before trying the ethernet cable. It seems that when I partitioned the disk, Windows has lost some files. I got a message like : "the file /Windows/Prefetch/Flashgot.exe-2EB48ADD.pf " is damaged, please use Chkdsk.
(instead of the / lines, they should be reversed but I'm not used to this Ubuntu keyboard yet).
I'm so happy! Thanks! I hope not having problems with Windows now.
I'll try to see if internet works under XP...

1. Can I install any modem in Ubuntu using a USB connection?

Yes, Ubuntu supports a wide range of modems that can be installed through a USB connection. However, it is always recommended to check the compatibility of the modem with Ubuntu before purchasing.

2. How do I install a USB modem in Ubuntu?

To install a USB modem in Ubuntu, simply plug the modem into an available USB port on your computer. Ubuntu will automatically detect and install the necessary drivers for the modem. You may need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

3. Can I use a USB modem in Ubuntu without an internet connection?

No, you will need an internet connection to download and install the necessary drivers for the USB modem. Once the drivers are installed, you can use the modem to connect to the internet.

4. How do I troubleshoot issues with my USB modem in Ubuntu?

If you are experiencing issues with your USB modem in Ubuntu, you can try restarting your computer and checking for any software updates. You can also try unplugging and plugging the modem back in, or try using a different USB port. If the issue persists, you may need to seek further assistance from the manufacturer or Ubuntu community forums.

5. Can I use a USB modem in Ubuntu with a virtual machine?

Yes, you can use a USB modem in Ubuntu with a virtual machine. However, you will need to make sure that the virtual machine has access to the USB port where the modem is connected. You may also need to install drivers for the modem within the virtual machine.