Equation of the circumference of an ellipse parametric equations

In summary, the student attempted to solve an elliptic integral for the circumference of an ellipse, but got something wrong. They then realized their mistake and tried to simplify the integrand. However, they made a mistake in their simplification and needed to find the area enclosed by the ellipse again.
mickellowery

Homework Statement

Consider the ellipse given by the parametric equation x=3cos(t) y=sin(t) 0[tex]\leq[/tex]t[tex]\leq[/tex]2[tex]\Pi[/tex]. Set up an integral that gives the circumference of the ellipse. Also find the area enclosed by the ellipse.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{1+(dy/dx)^2}[/tex]dt

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{1+(-2/3 cot(t))^2}[/tex]dt It should also be the integral from 0 to 2[tex]\Pi[/tex] I'm not sure what I did wrong but I know that -2/3 cot(t) is not right.
area: A=2[tex]\int[/tex]1/2 (2/3 tan(t))dt
=[tex]\int2/3 tan(t)dt[/tex]
=-2/3ln(lcos(t)l) evaluated from [tex]\Pi[/tex] to 0
I know that I got something wrong here too, and I assume it is the 2/3 tan(t) but I'm not sure what I did wrong again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[STRIKE]Your formula for arc length is wrong. It's

[tex]
\int \sqrt{1 + (\frac{dy}{dx})^2} \ dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int \sqrt{1 + (\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}})^2} \ \frac{dx}{dt}dt
[/tex][/STRIKE]

EDIT: Pathetic lapse of judgement on my part >_>...ignore this post.

Last edited:
Arc length for a parametrized curve can also be written this way:
[tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dy}{dt})^2}dt[/tex]

@Raskolnikov:

[tex]

= \int \sqrt{1 + (\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}})^2} \ \frac{dx}{dt}dt

[/tex]

how did you get that and how do you plan to integrate it? :)

But as far as I know the ds element for parametrization: f(x(t),y(t)) = x(t) + y(t) is:

[tex]
\int f(x,y) ds = \int f(x(t),y(t)) \sqrt{\left ( \frac{dx}{dt} \right )^2 + \left ( \frac{dy}{dt} \right )^2}dt
[/tex]

OK the way I did it I actually used [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{1+dy/dt/dx/dt}[/tex] and that's how I came up with the -[tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex]cot(t)2 I had -[tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex][tex]\frac{cos(t)}{sin(t)}[/tex] and I simplified it to cot(t). Would this even be the right formula to use for the circumference? I thought that arc length would be the right choice as long as I evaluated it from 0 to 2[tex]\Pi[/tex].

mickellowery said:
OK the way I did it I actually used [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{1+dy/dt/dx/dt}[/tex]
This isn't the right formula for arc length. If you simplify Raskolnikov's formula in post 2, you get the one I showed in the next post.
mickellowery said:
and that's how I came up with the -[tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex]cot(t)2
I had -[tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex][tex]\frac{cos(t)}{sin(t)}[/tex] and I simplified it to cot(t). Would this even be the right formula to use for the circumference? I thought that arc length would be the right choice as long as I evaluated it from 0 to 2[tex]\Pi[/tex].

Oh geez I just noticed a typo in the original problem. It should be x=3cos(t) y=2sin(t) not y=sin(t) sorry about that.

Alright so with the correct equations would the proper integral for the circumference be:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{(-3sin(t))^2 +(2cos(t))^2}[/tex]dt

And then for the area enclosed by the ellipse would I use [tex]\int[/tex](3cos(t)-2sin(t))2 evaluated from 0 to [tex]\Pi[/tex]?

You should simplify the integrand. Also, the limits are from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

Tip: Put all your LaTeX code inside one pair of tex tags.
Instead of this:
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{(-3sin(t))^2 +(2cos(t))^2}[/tex]

do this:
[tex]\int \sqrt{(-3sin(t))^2 +(2cos(t))^2}dt[/tex]

You should probably also notice that they only asked you so set up the circumference integral, not solve it. It's an elliptic integral. It's not elementary. But you should be able to solve the area integral.

1. What is the equation of the circumference of an ellipse in parametric form?

The equation of the circumference of an ellipse in parametric form is x = a*cos(t) and y = b*sin(t), where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, and t is the parameter that ranges from 0 to 2π.

2. How is the equation of the circumference of an ellipse derived?

The equation of the circumference of an ellipse can be derived by using the Pythagorean theorem and the definition of an ellipse. By considering a point on the ellipse with coordinates (x,y) and the semi-major and semi-minor axes as a and b, respectively, we can derive the equation x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1. Substituting x = a*cos(t) and y = b*sin(t) into this equation yields the parametric form of the ellipse's circumference.

3. How does the parameter t affect the shape of the ellipse?

The parameter t determines the angle at which the point on the ellipse is located. As the value of t increases from 0 to 2π, the point moves along the circumference of the ellipse in a counterclockwise direction. This changes the position of the point and thus, the shape of the ellipse.

4. Can the equation of the circumference of an ellipse be simplified?

Yes, the equation of the circumference of an ellipse can be simplified by using trigonometric identities. By substituting cos(t) = cos(t/2)^2 - sin(t/2)^2 and sin(t) = 2sin(t/2)cos(t/2) into the parametric equations, we can simplify the equation to x = a*cos(t/2)^2 and y = b*sin(t/2)^2.

5. What is the significance of the equation of the circumference of an ellipse in real-world applications?

The equation of the circumference of an ellipse has various real-world applications, such as in astronomy, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the orbital path of planets and satellites, the shape of gears and pulleys, and the trajectory of projectiles. It is also used in GPS technology and medical imaging techniques.