Building a Solar-Powered Stirling Engine

In summary, the conversation discusses using a Stirling engine powered by solar heat and compares its efficiency to traditional solar cells. The solar flux available on Earth is approximately 1350 watts/m2, which refers to both heat and light. It is believed that PV cells have a conversion efficiency of around 10%, while the most efficient monolithically integrated flexible solar cells have an efficiency of 15.9%. However, there are potentially more efficient PV cells in development.
RKD89
Hi Guys
I m trying to make a Stirling engine power by solar heat.
Somewhere I found out that the solar flux available on Earth is abt 1350watts/m2

Is this heat energy only or "heat & light " combined??

I m trying to find out if my soar engine will be better than traditional solar cells??

What is the energy conversion rate for solar panels/m2?

Physics news on Phys.org
A Stirling engine is one of the most efficient heat engines known. It is doubtful if a solar panel (notoriously inefficient) would be anywhere near as good at converting heat directly into mechanical movement.

On the other hand, if you intend to run (say) an electric generator from your engine, forget it. The power developed by a model Stirling is amazingly low - it can barely keep itself running against friction.

Here's a vid of my own Stirling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtTz4X7Mi64"

Last edited by a moderator:
RKD89 said:
Hi Guys
I m trying to make a Stirling engine power by solar heat.
Somewhere I found out that the solar flux available on Earth is abt 1350watts/m2

Is this heat energy only or "heat & light " combined??

I m trying to find out if my soar engine will be better than traditional solar cells??

What is the energy conversion rate for solar panels/m2?
The 1.35 kW/m2 refers to the light and would produce that thermal power if it could be converted to heat at 100% efficiency.

One could use 10% as a reasonable estimate of the efficiency of PVs.
http://www.examiner.com/green-techn...ic-efficiency-record-using-low-cost-materials

World's Highest Photovoltaic Energy Conversion Efficiency Among Monolithically Integrated Flexible Solar Cells = 15.9 %
http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?newsID=16822

There are apparently more efficient PV cells in the works.
http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/18910/

1. What is a Stirling engine?

A Stirling engine is a heat engine that uses the expansion and contraction of gases to generate mechanical energy. It was developed by Robert Stirling in the 19th century and is known for its high efficiency and low emissions.

2. How does a Stirling engine work?

A Stirling engine works by using an external heat source, such as solar energy, to heat up and expand a gas (usually air) inside a sealed cylinder. The expanding gas pushes a piston, which in turn, drives a crankshaft to generate mechanical energy. The gas then cools down, contracts, and is pushed back to the starting point to repeat the cycle.

3. What are the benefits of using a solar-powered Stirling engine?

Using a solar-powered Stirling engine has several benefits, including being a renewable and sustainable energy source, having no emissions or pollution, and being highly efficient. It also has a longer lifespan compared to other types of engines and can be used in remote or off-grid areas.

4. What are the components of a solar-powered Stirling engine?

A solar-powered Stirling engine typically consists of a parabolic reflector or solar panels to collect and concentrate solar energy, a heat exchanger to transfer the heat to the working gas, a regenerator to store and reuse heat, a cylinder, piston, and crankshaft to convert heat energy into mechanical energy, and a flywheel to store and regulate the energy produced.

5. Are there any limitations to using a solar-powered Stirling engine?

One limitation of a solar-powered Stirling engine is its lower power output compared to other types of engines. It also requires a consistent and direct source of solar energy to operate efficiently, which may not be possible in certain weather conditions. Additionally, the cost of building and maintaining a solar-powered Stirling engine may be higher compared to traditional engines.