Quantum Tunneling Explained: Sophisticated Overview

In summary, quantum tunneling is a phenomenon where a particle can pass through a potential barrier even if its mechanical energy is lower than the barrier's potential energy. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics and has been used to explain various phenomena such as fusion at lower energies and overcoming forces. It is not a result of high-speed collisions, but rather a random chance of the particle appearing on the other side. It is not instantaneous, but the time elapsed during this process is very small. It is still unclear if this constitutes faster-than-light travel.
NetMage
So I've been reading up on some quantum tunneling. It seems as though everything I read on it only conveys an elementary view on the matter, as if their target audience was the general public. I am here to gain a more sophisticated understanding of this concept. As I currently understand quantum tunneling is the effect of particles colliding at high speeds as to where the mechanical energy is greater than the potential energy of the barrier and in QM there is probability that the particle will appear on the other side regardless of the width of the object?! Why is there not a chance that the particle could appear inside the object? Has there been successful studies done on this? Does this constitute possibilities in teleportation/information sending?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, it is where the mechanical energy is LOWER than the potential energy of the barrier.

Oops, my mistake. Typo**

Also, i believe that particles that tunnel through something will not appear "Inside" another particle, as they can't occupy the same space. And quantum tunneling can also be used to explain when a particles overcomes a force that it shouldn't have. Such as being able to fuse atoms together at a lower energy than should be possible. Quantum tunneling can do this sometimes.

Ok, but if a particle can't appear inside space that is being occupied...isnt even the 'space' on the other side of the object still being occupied by other particles...for instance, air is still composed of particles that is occupying that space.

NetMage said:
Ok, but if a particle can't appear inside space that is being occupied...isnt even the 'space' on the other side of the object still being occupied by other particles...for instance, air is still composed of particles that is occupying that space.

Air is mostly empty space with atoms/molecules just whizzing through it.

Drakkith said:
Also, i believe that particles that tunnel through something will not appear "Inside" another particle, as they can't occupy the same space.

Two particles can occupy the same space just fine. Two fermions with the same spin and energy cannot.

NetMage said:
As I currently understand quantum tunneling is the effect of particles colliding at high speeds as to where the mechanical energy is greater than the potential energy of the barrier and in QM there is probability that the particle will appear on the other side regardless of the width of the object?!

The other thing that's wrong is that the particles are (i) not moving at high speeds and (ii) not "colliding". A collision will cause a loss of coherence. In fact in many instances, scattering effect will diminish the tunneling current.

Secondly, in many tunneling experiments, the "speed" is very small when one considers that the applied voltage across the tunneling barrier is on the order of millivolts!

Zz.

Hm, well this is a bizarre concept. So it is to say that it is complete random chance that if the mechanical energy is less than the barrier that it will simply appear on the other side? What about time elapsed during the particle appearing on the other side? Is this instantaneous? Does this constitute FTL if so?

NetMage said:
Hm, well this is a bizarre concept. So it is to say that it is complete random chance that if the mechanical energy is less than the barrier that it will simply appear on the other side? What about time elapsed during the particle appearing on the other side? Is this instantaneous? Does this constitute FTL if so?

I have no idea on this one.

What is quantum tunneling and how does it work?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, which allows for particles to exist in multiple states at once. The particle essentially "tunnels" through the barrier, appearing on the other side with a reduced probability.

What are some real-world applications of quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling has a variety of applications in fields such as electronics, microscopy, and nuclear physics. In electronics, it is used in tunnel diodes and flash memory chips. In microscopy, it allows for the creation of atomic-scale images. In nuclear physics, it is essential for the process of radioactive decay.

Can quantum tunneling be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum tunneling is a phenomenon that occurs at the subatomic level and is not observable in our everyday lives. However, its effects can be seen in certain technologies, as mentioned in the previous question.

What are the main challenges in understanding and utilizing quantum tunneling?

One of the main challenges in understanding quantum tunneling is the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. It can be difficult to predict when and where tunneling will occur, as it is based on probabilities rather than definite outcomes. Additionally, controlling and utilizing quantum tunneling in practical applications is a complex and challenging task.

What are some current developments and advancements in quantum tunneling research?

Scientists are currently exploring ways to better understand and control quantum tunneling, as well as expanding its applications. This includes developing more efficient tunneling devices, studying the effects of tunneling in different materials, and using tunneling to manipulate and store information in quantum computers.