BBT's Portrayal of Nerds: Offensive or Accurate?

In summary: I hate that show. Every time I look for new torrents on a site like the pirate bay I always see a highly seeded torrent with the words big bang theory in the title and i get really excited, thinking that someone has made a new science special about the big bang. So, without looking at the description I download it and then find out it's a stupid sitcom. The writing also stinks.The show is funny because it is oh so true :) And of course because Jim Parsons plays Sheldon so brilliantly.I actually rank Big Bang Theory higher than Seinfeld.
TBBT is the only show I watch that's not on the science or history channel.
Sadly, I really identify with Howard (its a good thing I enjoy brisket on Sundays with the family. lol). My favorite epsiode was when Howard snuck a date into the tracking room to let her drive the Mars (?) rover, and he got it irretrievably stuck. <hears> "I KNOW MA, BUT I WAS SURE IT WOULD WORK..."

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know how many of these played in America - and a few of them are a bit 'British' in their humor to travel well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/winner.shtml
Only Fools and Horses (1981–2003)
Blackadder (1983–1989)
The Vicar of Dibley (1994–2007)
Dad's Army (1968–1977)
Fawlty Towers (1975–1979)
Yes Minister / Yes, Prime Minister
Porridge (1974–1977, 1978)
Open All Hours (1973, 1976–1985)
The Good Life (1975–1978)
One Foot in the Grave (1990–2000)
The big differences seem to be that UK sitcoms are generally written by a single writer or a pair rather than large teams and a lot of the actors appearing are world class stage or screen stars (presumably because given the UK film industry this is the onyl work they could get)

This show has done wonders for my social life.

Now, when I go out to bars all the ladies say to themselves, "Wow! He's is nowhere near as geeky and social awkward as those physicists from that TV show! He's must be a real catch!"

Want a funny sit-com with decent acting? Just watch anything staring Bob Newhart. Buttoned-down genius.

Ivan Seeking said:
In my view, the Sheldon characters sometimes reaches the level of comic genius. At times he completely bombs, but when he gets it right [and the writing is there], it can be priceless.

It isn't dramatic acting, but it is an art form in its own right. Of everyone on the show, Gilbert has probably been the worst. Simon Helberg [Wolowitz] would be next on my list.

Kunal Nayyar [Raj] isn't great, but he has some great moments. He has delivered some of the best lines of the show. Laurie Metcalf [Sheldon's mom] is great as always.
I feel Gilbert's acting really isn't that bad. From her original personality(which is that of a nice, interested person) and I think to pull off a snide, detached super-geek would be generally difficult, I mean, to deal with all the fast and long technical jargon. It's not like Twilight, Kristen Stewart's actual personality is dull, quiet, annoying and insanely awkward.

Yeah, Sheldon's mom never ceases to impress me.

oddcitations said:
I feel Gilbert's acting really isn't that bad. From her original personality(which is that of a nice, interested person) and I think to pull off a snide, detached super-geek would be generally difficult, I mean, to deal with all the fast and long technical jargon. It's not like Twilight, Kristen Stewart's actual personality is dull, quiet, annoying and insanely awkward.

Yeah, Sheldon's mom never ceases to impress me.

No doubt the script would challenge any actor at times. Jimmy was referring to this clip, which is one of the most poorly executed scenes. Sheldon was good, but Gilbert REALLY didn't pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSmJCKaaC0

On the other hand, when Penny had her moment in the nerd limelight - go to the 6:00 mark - I thought she managed it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEIn3T6nDAo

I feel like such a nerd watching that show because the use of the scientific jargon is for comedic purposes but I know exactly what they're saying. So if Sheldon says something outrageous I'd sit there and think about it for a moment and then ultimately miss the punchline, anyways, it's an awesome show. The LQG vs String was classic and the writers are superb, they really do their research.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
No doubt the script would challenge any actor at times. Jimmy was referring to this clip, which is one of the most poorly executed scenes. Sheldon was good, but Gilbert REALLY didn't pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSmJCKaaC0

On the other hand, when Penny had her moment in the nerd limelight - go to the 6:00 mark - I thought she managed it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEIn3T6nDAo

You do have a point there. Penny makes an amazing nerd. :\ I think it lies in the speed of her speech, coupled with a monotonous quality that makes it so, NERDY. Gilbert doesn't really have that, but, I still think she pulls of snide and apathetic very well. Yeah, Sheldon's pretty epic.

For me, it's Penny's eyebrows - they're like a Golden Lab's. It's quite comical.

oddcitations said:
but, I still think she pulls of snide and apathetic very well. Yeah, Sheldon's pretty epic.

She is good in that role. She was born for the role of Darlene, on Roseanne.

I love the banter between her and Sheldon.

!

DaveC426913 said:
For me, it's Penny's eyebrows - they're like a Golden Lab's. It's quite comical.

She also has this all-knowning smile that puts her above the intellectual fray. It would be easy for her character to seem stupid and out of place, but she usually maintains an air of superiority that makes her seem invulnerable.

Lorre and Prady had two different visions for a show. One concept was for the Penny character, and the other was for the nerds. Somehow they've managed to merge the two concepts successfully.

This is one obvious problem with the premise of the show. While we all know physicists aren't the most highly paid people in the world, there is no way a minimum wage waitress would be living in the same apartment as two post-docs at Cal Tech, esp not in Pasadena! She would be living in Van Nuys or some other low rent district.

For that matter, I defy anyone to find an apartment like Leonard's and Sheldon's, in Pasadena. At the least, a place like that would cost a fortune.

Last edited:
I would be quite contended to live in an apartment of this kind when I'm their age. : D

Anyone else a little pissed as to why there was no new episode last week? I've had to make do with watching episodes from season two again, which then again, is not necessarily a bad thing!

"Leonard! 'Trouble' is my middle name! Actually...it's Lee but I prefer 'Trouble'!" (always cracks me up!)

Rajesh, when drunk, is boss.

On a related note, how quickly would you think Leonard was done with high school/university for he to have gotten his PhD at 24? Generally, most people would be done with a 3-4 year BSc by that time.

Absolutely my favourite show on tv. It doesn't really have a big following in Australia from what I know, but it's catching. Sadly I'd say I'd relate more to Howard! Just not quite as smart as others nor as I would like to be! ("I have a masters degree you know.." "Who doesn't")

Thy Apathy said:
On a related note, how quickly would you think Leonard was done with high school/university for he to have gotten his PhD at 24? Generally, most people would be done with a 3-4 year BSc by that time.

In Leonard's family a PhD at 24 makes him an underachiever.

I don't understand why you think it would be so hard to get a PhD at 24. I got a BS at 21 and I didn't skip anything, it was just the way the calendar worked out. I knew people who graduated in three years instead four by taking summer courses. Going straight into Master level courses and a Phd at 24 seems perfectly doable.

For that matter, I knew one guy who passed 6 AP exams and skipped his freshman year.

Over the years my dentist and I have gotten to be buddies. The last time I was in I mentioned TBBT and asked if he watched. He had gone to Hawaii recently and reponded by saying that he had some pictures to show me from his trip. Ummmmmm...okay...

After we were done he broke out some photos of he and his family posing with Jim Parsons and Simon Helberg [Sheldon and Howard]. Parsons and Helberg were vacationing together and staying at the same hotel. My dentist and his family even had a chance to spend a little time them over the week. His kids are huge fans so it was big deal for them. He said both actors were extremely friendly, down to earth, and glad to spend a little time hanging out.

Pretty cool.

Helberg was there with his girlfriend and Parsons was with his significant other, so no gossip news here. :biggrin:

I saw Jim Parsons on Ellen or something the other day as I was flipping through the channels, and he did seem really down to earth.

I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I think it's pretty funny on occasion as long as you don't look too much into it. Do they overly stereotype academic types? Sure. Are there scientific inaccuracies? You bet. Physics Forum people seem to take the show as an insult!

Besides, I think Melissa Rauch is super-hot.
153w9pi.jpg

QuarkCharmer said:
I saw Jim Parsons on Ellen or something the other day as I was flipping through the channels, and he did seem really down to earth.

I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I think it's pretty funny on occasion as long as you don't look too much into it. Do they overly stereotype academic types? Sure. Are there scientific inaccuracies? You bet. Physics Forum people seem to take the show as an insult!

Besides, I think Melissa Rauch is super-hot.
153w9pi.jpg

I haven't seen the 4th season yet, but that's Sheldon's girlfriend, right? We only watch it on DVD and the 4th season isn't out yet.

People who are insulted by this don't get it. I know it plays to stereotypes but it's better than that. It took about three episodes before I started to appreciate the humor, but then I was hooked.

The key is to realize that according to the general plot line, most physicists think Sheldon is nuts. It is not intended that any of the main characters be considered typical.

...and... they get a lot right. I've seen dialogue in the show that could have been a PF discussion.

Last edited:
She plays Burnadette, Howards girlfriend. I think TV's Blossom (I forget her name) plays sheldon's.

QuarkCharmer said:
Are there scientific inaccuracies? You bet.

I think they get most, if not all, scientific content right. They hired a Physicist for the show to make sure that they were spot on all the science stuff.

QuarkCharmer said:
She plays Burnadette, Howards girlfriend.

Egad, I knew that. :blushing:

We finished season three quite a long time ago. :biggrin:

Ivan92 said:
I think they get most, if not all, scientific content right. They hired a Physicist for the show to make sure that they were spot on all the science stuff.

Beyond that, they get the inside jokes.

How did Sheldon put it; "engineering is just the slow, younger brother of physics"? :rofl: Now don't tell me that the layman writers of the show came up with that all by themselves. Someone's talkin. We all know that attitude exists; rare perhaps, but I've certainly run into that sort of thinking before.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Beyond that, they get the inside jokes.

How did Sheldon put it; "engineering is just the slow, younger brother of physics"? :rofl: Now don't tell me that the layman writers of the show came up with that all by themselves. Someone's talkin. We all know that attitude exists; rare perhaps, but I've certainly run into that sort of thinking before.

I believe it was "Engineering is the Oompa Loompa of Physics". I don't remember but Sheldon is awesome!

Ivan92 said:
I believe it was "Engineering is the Oompa Loompa of Physics". I don't remember but Sheldon is awesome!

Me wrong about a Sheldon quote? NEVER! :biggrin:

We don't need Wolowitz. Engineering is merely the slow younger brother of physics. Watch and learn... do either of you know how to open the toolbox?
http://www.sheldonshirts.com/sheldonquotes2.html

But I think you may be referencing a different quote. That rings a bell.

I like these...

I've got more nervous ticks than a Lyme Disease research facility.

Mom smokes in the car. Jesus is okay with it, but we can't tell Dad.

You know, it’s amazing how many supervillains have advanced degrees. Graduate schools should probably do a better job at screening those people out.

Last edited:
Ahh It was the "Oompa loompas of science." There we go x) You were right :P

Oh the writing on this show just kills me!

I wanted a griffin... I was studying recombinant DNA technology and I was confident I could create one, but my parents were unwilling to secure the necessary eagle eggs and lion semen. Of course my sister got swimming lessons when she wanted them.

Radiation burns -- a little mishap while I was building my own CAT scanner... In fact, I was briefly able to see the inside of my sister's guinea pig, Snowball, before he caught fire. It led to an interesting expression in our house: "not a snowball's chance in a CAT scanner."

Ivan92 said:

He actually has his own blog. I especially like the parts where relates what is on the white boards to what the characters are doing on the show.

http://thebigblogtheory.wordpress.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
QuarkCharmer said:
I think TV's Blossom (I forget her name) plays sheldon's.

Yep, Mayim Bialik. I didn't watch "Blossom" much when it was running, just sampled an episode or two, but I remembered her name when she showed up as Amy Farrah Fowler. Then I found out that she actually has a Ph.D. in neuroscience! After "Blossom" she and her parents decided that she should go to college like a normal person. It turned out she liked biology a lot, and went on to grad school.

jtbell said:
Yep, Mayim Bialik..."Blossom"

I wonder if that is part of the appeal of the character - that Blossom fans might appreciate it.

I always thought Amy Farrah Fowler seemed a bit forced. But if she were played by a well-known actor, playing against type, that might explain why the picked her.

jtbell said:
Yep, Mayim Bialik... Then I found out that she actually has a Ph.D. in neuroscience!

Wow! Talk about typecasting... :biggrin:

I think Mayim was also on an episode of What Not to Where several years ago hehe.

The prop department goofed in tonight's show... Sheldon was reading the American Journal of Physics instead of something like the Physical Review. Maybe they thought the yellow cover went better with the red armchair he was sitting in. :rolleyes:

(for those not in the know, AJP covers teaching-related topics, whereas PR is a "real research" journal.)

jtbell said:
The prop department goofed in tonight's show... Sheldon was reading the American Journal of Physics instead of something like the Physical Review. Maybe they thought the yellow cover went better with the red armchair he was sitting in. :rolleyes:

Maybe he was getting ideas for Leonard to teach physics, as referenced in the previous episode.

Jack21222 said:
Maybe he was getting ideas for Leonard to teach physics, as referenced in the previous episode.

That was the first thing I thought of too.

Seemed like an out-of-place comment for Sheldon to make. Almost as if it served more as a portent for plot points yet to come...

DaveC426913 said:
That was the first thing I thought of too.

Seemed like an out-of-place comment for Sheldon to make. Almost as if it served more as a portent for plot points yet to come...

Sheldon, in any type of pedagogical role, make for some of my favorite moments. I'd love to see him attempt to teach a course. It would be especially funny if they gave him an introductory physics course. :devil:

Dembadon said:
Sheldon, in any type of pedagogical role, make for some of my favorite moments. I'd love to see him attempt to teach a course. It would be especially funny if they gave him an introductory physics course. :devil:

How about as a PF moderator?