LaTex Arrows: How to Insert the Correct 'Tends To' Symbol

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Studiot
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the issue of choosing and inserting arrow symbols using the LaTex selector. The first two arrow choices work fine, but the symbols for the other arrows do not match their descriptions and can sometimes result in the insertion of unrelated symbols. The conversation also mentions the possibility of choosing LaTex symbols with the mouse, but suggests that it may be easier to just type the code for the desired symbol. The correct symbol for "tends to" is either \to or \rightarrow.
Studiot
When I click on the LaTex selector and choose the arrows it displays amongst the icons, two symbols, either of which would suit me fine.

Unfortunately if I do choose either the system does not insert the displayed symbol, rather it inserts something to do with the barbaric practice of whaling - harpoon up, down etc.

How do I obtain the correct 'tends to' symbol please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first two arrow choices (upper left) are rightarrow and leftarrow. They seem to work OK.

You are correct, boss.

Many thanks.

So how do I get a plain old fashioned common or garden left or right arrow without the bar?

And why don't the symbols match the descriptions.

It's all a bit like typing English on a Chinese keyboard.

The first nine arrows seem to work. After that it's messed up. You seem to be asking for the same thing that you just confirmed works (\leftarrow and \rightarrow). I'm just not sure what "bar" you're talking about. :confused:

I had no idea we could choose LaTeX symbols with the mouse. Actually I'm getting some deja vu, so I have probably said that before. :smile: Seems like a pointless feature. You can find the latex code for the symbol you want by googling or searching the comprehensive latex symbol list, and then type the code. It will take slightly longer the first time, but once the code sticks in your memory, it's much faster to just type it.

Studiot said:
How do I obtain the correct 'tends to' symbol please?

[tex] \to [/tex]

or the longer version

[tex] \rightarrow [/tex]

Question 1: What is the "tends to" symbol in LaTeX?

The "tends to" symbol in LaTeX is used to indicate that a mathematical expression or sequence is approaching a certain value or limit.

Question 2: How do I insert the "tends to" symbol in LaTeX?

To insert the "tends to" symbol in LaTeX, use the command \to or \rightarrow, depending on the direction of the arrow you want to use.

Question 3: What is the difference between \to and \rightarrow in LaTeX?

The main difference between \to and \rightarrow in LaTeX is that \to is a math operator and \rightarrow is a relational operator. This means that \to is used to represent a mathematical function or mapping, while \rightarrow is used to represent a logical relationship between two elements.

Question 4: How do I create a double-headed "tends to" symbol in LaTeX?

To create a double-headed "tends to" symbol in LaTeX, use the command \Longrightarrow. This will produce an arrow with two heads pointing in the same direction.

Question 5: Can I customize the size and style of the "tends to" symbol in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the size and style of the "tends to" symbol in LaTeX by using different commands such as \xrightarrow for a longer arrow or \Rightarrow for a larger arrow. You can also change the style by using different font packages or by using the \style command.