Finding position from velocity (trig function)

In summary, SammyS' attempt at solving the homework equation resulted in a different answer than what was suggested before. He switched t with x and solved for t by taking it out of the function before integrating.
tasveerk

Homework Statement

S(0)=3, find S(2) position wise.

Homework Equations

V(t)=xsin(x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate with u-substitution and I got -t^4/4cos(t^2). I tested it by taking the derivative and it didn't work out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]v(t)=\frac{dx}{dt}\quad\to\quad\frac{dx}{x\sin(x^2)}=dt[/tex]

Is the equation on the right what you integrated?

@SammyS,
Thanks for the reply, but I have never seen the method you used before. I understand that you manipulated the first equation to get the second, but I do not know why. If you could explain it a bit or give me a link to a website that explains it I would appreciate it.

Are you sure that your velocity function is v(t) = x*sin(x^2), where x is a distance? Is it possible that it's v(t) = t*sin(t^2) instead?

If  [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=x\sin(x^2)\,,[/tex]

then  [tex]\frac{1}{x\sin(x^2)}\ \frac{dx}{dt}\,dt=dt\,.[/tex]

But,  [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}\,dt=dx\,.[/tex]

Therefore,  [tex]\frac{dx}{x\sin(x^2 )}=dt[/tex]

Now integrate both sides to find t as a function of x.

SammyS said:
Now integrate both sides to find t as a function of x.

I think that the LHS is going to prove to be rather difficult to integrate in closed form.

gneill said:
I think that the LHS is going to prove to be rather difficult to integrate in closed form.
Yes, I believe you are right about this.

Your earlier suggestion: [tex]v(t)=t\sin(t^2)[/tex] is probably correct.

I switched t with x in the equation. Now that I think about it I'm even unsure of why I did this. Anyway, I solved the problem by taking t out of the function before integrating. Thank you all for the quick replies.

1. How can I use trigonometric functions to find position from velocity?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, can be used to find the position from velocity by using the formula x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

2. What is the difference between using sine and cosine in finding position from velocity?

Sine is used when the initial velocity is perpendicular to the direction of motion, while cosine is used when the initial velocity is parallel to the direction of motion. It is important to correctly determine the angle between the initial velocity and the direction of motion to use the correct trigonometric function.

3. Can I use trigonometric functions to find position from velocity in any scenario?

Trigonometric functions can only be used to find position from velocity when the acceleration is constant. If the acceleration is not constant, other methods such as integration may need to be used.

4. How do I know which trigonometric function to use in the formula?

The trigonometric function to use depends on the angle between the initial velocity and the direction of motion. This can be determined by drawing a diagram or using the given information in the problem.

5. Can I use trigonometric functions to find position from velocity in two dimensions?

Yes, trigonometric functions can be used to find position from velocity in two dimensions as long as the acceleration is constant in both directions. In this case, the formula will have components for both x and y positions, and the correct trigonometric function should be used for each component.