Degenerate Conic Sections

In summary, the set of points described by the quadratic equation a y^2 + b xy + c x^2 + d y + e x + f = 0 can be a parabola, an ellipse, a hyperbola, an empty set, a line, two intersecting lines, two parallel lines, a circle, or a point. The type of set can be determined by considering the properties of the matrix of coefficients in the equation. The determinant of the matrix can be used to determine if the set is degenerate and the values of the coefficients can determine the specific type of set. Completing squares can also be used to determine the type of set, but there may be a more efficient method involving the matrix
matiasmorant
the set of points described by the quadratic equation

a y^2 + b xy + c x^2 + d y + e x + f = 0

can be 1) a parabola, an ellipse, an hyperbola or 2) an empty set, a line, two intersecting lines, two parallel lines, a circle, a point, and pherhaps something else...

I want two know which of these will I get.

I know the rule b^2-4ac. but the degenerate cases deceive me too often. Is there a method to decide which set the quadratic equation describes? Of course you can try completing squares in several ways, but that takes lots of trials and thought, doesn't it? is there a better way?

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start by writing the equation in matrix form as

[tex] \begin{bmatrix}x & y & 1 \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}a & h & g \cr h & b & f \cr g & f & c \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}x \cr y \cr 1\end{bmatrix}
= 0[/tex]

(When you multipliy it out, the coefficients are in a different order from your notation, but this is the "standard" form).

Then consider the properties of the matrix of coefficients.

(It's more fun to work out the details for yourself than just be told the answer!)

BTW, when I was a kid we were taught to remember the matrix entries by "all hairy gorillas have big feet, good for climbing" :smile:

I don't get it yet... some further hint?

I learned that you put the coefficients in a matrix of
[a b/2 d/2]
[b/2 c e/2]
[d/2 e/2 f]

if the determinant of the matrix is 0, it is degenerate

if b^2>4ac it is a ellipse or a point
if b^2=4ac it is a parabola or a line
if b^2<4ac it is a hyperbola or two lines
if b=0 and a=c, then it is a circle or a point (special case of ellipse)

the determinant is calculated from a general matrix

[a b c]
[d e f]
[g h i]

using the formula aei + bfg + cdh - ceg - bdi - afh

Last edited:

I would like to clarify that the set of points described by a quadratic equation is not limited to only conic sections. In fact, a quadratic equation can describe a wide range of curves and shapes, including parabolas, ellipses, hyperbolas, circles, and more. However, when certain conditions are met, the resulting curve may be considered a degenerate conic section.

To answer your question, there is no easy or foolproof method to determine which set a quadratic equation will describe. As you mentioned, the rule b^2-4ac can give you some information, but it is not always reliable. To accurately determine the type of curve, you may need to use methods such as completing the square or graphing the equation. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the general shapes and characteristics of each type of conic section. With practice and experience, you may be able to identify the type of curve more quickly and accurately.

1. What are degenerate conic sections?

Degenerate conic sections are special cases of the standard conic sections (circle, ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola) where the shape of the curve becomes a straight line, a point, or two intersecting lines. This happens when the eccentricity of the conic section equals 1, making it a degenerate case of the standard conic section.

2. How do degenerate conic sections differ from standard conic sections?

Degenerate conic sections differ from standard conic sections in terms of their shape and mathematical properties. While standard conic sections have distinct shapes and equations, degenerate conic sections have simplified equations that result in a straight line, a point, or two intersecting lines.

3. What causes a conic section to become degenerate?

A conic section becomes degenerate when the eccentricity of the curve equals 1. This means that the distance between the focus and the directrix becomes equal to the distance between the focus and any point on the curve, resulting in a straight line or a point as the shape of the conic section.

4. What are the real-world applications of degenerate conic sections?

Degenerate conic sections have various real-world applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, a parabola is a degenerate conic section that is commonly used in satellite dishes and reflectors, while a circle is a degenerate conic section used in wheels and gears.

5. How are degenerate conic sections useful in mathematical analysis?

Degenerate conic sections are useful in mathematical analysis as they provide simplified equations for certain cases where standard conic sections may be too complex to analyze. They also serve as special cases that help mathematicians better understand the properties and behavior of standard conic sections.