Next unread post tracking not working

• Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is experiencing a problem with the forum where unread posts are not being updated. They have found a workaround by ignoring the issue and manually keeping track of read posts. The speaker also mentions a feature called "next unread" which they have not seen before, and they find the icon for marking read/unread posts to be unintuitive. They mention another forum where there is a more prominent feature for viewing first unread posts.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
When I login again after being away for an hour or two, the forums are showing me the same unread posts as before at the moment. Something isn't getting updated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's how it always is for me.

I just ignored it. Didn't seem like a major issue - I always know what I have / haven't read.

It's working normally this morning.

(It's a bit odd how it works anyway - if I spend too long looking at or answering one post, it decides I've seen everything else anyway, which can be a nuisance, but if I come back in a new session after only a few minutes, it may show me the same stuff I've already seen).

For me, it usually shows a number of posts unread. I'll read and leave.

When I come back shortly after for new posts, it will have the new ones plus all of those old ones marked.

This happens two or three times and then just stops.

Is "next unread" something you only get if you subscribe? I've never seen it, and I came here to ask why not.

On the left of each post where the time / date is shown there is a small icon.

It is blue for read and orange for unread.

JaredJames said:
On the left of each post where the time / date is shown there is a small icon.

It is blue for read and orange for unread.

Thanks, but Wow. Is that supposed to be intuitive? I wouldn't have noticed that in a hundred years.

On another vBulletin board I frequent, they have a prominent menu item in each thread that says "View First Unread" and takes you there.

1. Why is the "Next unread post tracking" feature not working?

The "Next unread post tracking" feature may not be working due to a technical issue on the website or forum where it is being used. This could be caused by a bug or glitch in the system or a temporary outage. It is also possible that the website or forum has disabled this feature.

2. How can I fix the issue with "Next unread post tracking" not working?

If the problem is on the website or forum's end, there is not much you can do to fix it yourself. You can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or using a different browser to see if that helps. If the issue persists, you can contact the website or forum's technical support team for assistance.

3. Is there a way to manually mark a post as unread?

This depends on the specific website or forum where you are trying to use the "Next unread post tracking" feature. Some websites or forums may have a button or option to manually mark a post as unread, while others may not have this feature at all. You can check the website or forum's help section or contact their support team for more information.

4. Can I customize the "Next unread post tracking" feature?

Again, this will vary depending on the website or forum. Some platforms may allow you to customize the "Next unread post tracking" feature, such as setting the number of posts to track or the frequency of updates. Others may not have any customization options. It is best to check with the website or forum for their specific settings and options.

5. Is there an alternative to the "Next unread post tracking" feature?

If the "Next unread post tracking" feature is not working or not available on the website or forum you are using, there may be alternative options. Some websites or forums may have a "Recent Posts" or "Active Topics" section that can help you keep track of unread posts. You can also try subscribing to email notifications for new posts on the website or forum, or manually bookmarking posts you want to revisit later.