Active heart rate wrist monitor technology- Without using a chest strap

In summary, active heart rate wrist monitor technology allows for the measurement of heart rate without the use of a chest strap. This technology uses sensors on the wrist to track heart rate through the pulse and can be used during various activities such as exercise or daily tasks. It offers convenience and comfort for users who may find chest straps uncomfortable or restrictive. Additionally, the data collected from these monitors can be easily synced to apps and devices for further analysis and tracking.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings.
I've been looking for commercial products that are capable of actively sensing the user's heart pulse rate while attached to their wrist. No additional chest strap monitor, etc... included.

Unlike all wrist-located heart monitors I've found online, I'm looking for one that can actively sense the user's pulse through direct contact with the wrist, opposed to pressing your finger against an on board sensor.

Does anybody know of existing commercial technology allowing wrist-based active heart monitors?

Regards,
-Taylaron

Biology news on Phys.org
Why can't a Fetal heart rate monitor, which senses changes in frequency and amplitude after transmitting ultrasonic pulses be used in a heat monitoring wrist watch?

I found a good description of a FHR here: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/what-is-a-fetal-doppler-and-how-does-it-work.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the Mio watch.

www.miowatch.com[/URL]

It uses electrical sensors to measure your ECG signal.

Perfect! Thank you very much bPositive

Google for cardio training heart rate monitor. Plenty of models, Mio included.

You can't easily direct ultrasonic pulses from the wrist to the heart.

Borek said:
You can't easily direct ultrasonic pulses from the wrist to the heart.

I agree that transmission from the wrist to the heart is impractical for this purpose. But I'm not focusing on getting the pulse directly from the heart. I was more focused on (hah, literally..) using the wrist's cross section profile. I would like to send pulses from one side of your wrist to the other side. The wrist-band's transducer would send waves that pass through the larger blood veins located directly above the wrist's bottom sensor. Fluctuations in blood pressure from the heart beats and the subsequent flow in the surrounding tissue would, I presume, be observed in the traveling waves through the wrist.

-Tay

taylaron said:
Greetings.
I've been looking for commercial products that are capable of actively sensing the user's heart pulse rate while attached to their wrist. No additional chest strap monitor, etc... included.

Unlike all wrist-located heart monitors I've found online, I'm looking for one that can actively sense the user's pulse through direct contact with the wrist, opposed to pressing your finger against an on board sensor.

Does anybody know of existing commercial technology allowing wrist-based active heart monitors?

Regards,
-Taylaron

Look at: http://www.smarthealthusa.com/about.asp .
Jean Luc

jeanlucl said:
Look at: http://www.smarthealthusa.com/about.asp .
Jean Luc

Thanks Jean!

Evo said:
Pulse monitors on the wrist are not as good as those that have chest straps, why would you want one?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...h/heartrate-monitors/16601921001/13455879001/

I want to use the wrist-bound heart rate monitor to easily and conveniently measure a user's heart rate while data is sent to a computer via a USB cable. The computer analyzes the pulse rate and when the pulse rate drops below a set (adjustable) BPM the computer initiates a sequence that tells the computer program when the user is asleep.

I don't want a chest-strap because it's far too cumbersome... I also don't want to use a fingernail-type sensor because the user will be using their hands to complete a task.

-Tay

taylaron said:
I want to use the wrist-bound heart rate monitor to easily and conveniently measure a user's heart rate while data is sent to a computer via a USB cable. The computer analyzes the pulse rate and when the pulse rate drops below a set (adjustable) BPM the computer initiates a sequence that tells the computer program when the user is asleep.

I don't want a chest-strap because it's far too cumbersome... I also don't want to use a fingernail-type sensor because the user will be using their hands to complete a task.

-Tay
So the person is tethered to a computer with a USB cord? I would think pulse rate would not be a very good indicator of sleep.

I agree with you Evo, but I'm having difficulty finding another suitable solution.
Specifically*, I need to be able to quickly and easily detect whither or not a person is about to fall asleep. For instance, I'm at work on my computer and its the middle of the night and I'm about to fall asleep at my desk. I want the computer to wake me up again as soon as it knows I'm about to fall asleep. That is the challenge.

I need contact with the person's skin for the remainder of the experiment. Since I'm already in contact with the person's skin I thought a wrist-based HRM would be a simple solution. I can't use a finger nail mounted HRM because it would interfere with computer typing or hand writing.

I realize my goal is a bit, well, strange. But it's final application I would like to patent and sell.

Thanks for your input!

-Tay

Hi,

Any development since? I'm looking for a similar product, both for research and potential app development. I need it to transmit wirelessly to a pc or system, as chest straps transmit to wrist displays. "Better" rather depends on the context in which the sensor is being used. Current products seem to have a very narrow focus on the sports and fitness market.

Cathy

Hi,

What did you use in the end for this task? I have exactly the same problem.
Currently using index finger monitors that get in the way of a task that the user needs to complete.

There must be a product out there!?

CW

Yes, such technology exists. It looks like you're looking for a continuous reading (don't need to touch with fingers) of the heart rate without a chest strap. They are rare, but they do exist. If you want a device (iPhone) to read it out, I'd probably suggest the Rhythm, and if you want to read it straight off the watch, I'd suggest the ePulse 2.

I actually recently created a website analyzing different heart rate monitors without chest straps. Here's the page for continuous ones: http://www.heartratemonitorwithoutcheststrap.com/continuous-display-monitors/

Be warned that common complaints among heart rate monitors without chest straps is that they are less accurate/reliable - at least when doing very strenuous exercise. Some people hate them, others love them.

1. How does an active heart rate wrist monitor track heart rate without a chest strap?

An active heart rate wrist monitor uses optical sensors to detect changes in blood flow and movement in the wrist. This data is then analyzed to calculate heart rate.

2. Are active heart rate wrist monitors accurate?

Yes, active heart rate wrist monitors can be very accurate. However, factors such as movement, skin color, and fit can affect the accuracy of the readings. It is important to properly calibrate and use the monitor as directed for the most accurate results.

3. Can active heart rate wrist monitors be used for all types of physical activity?

Yes, most active heart rate wrist monitors are designed to be used during a variety of physical activities such as running, cycling, and swimming. However, some models may have specific limitations or may not be suitable for certain types of activities.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using an active heart rate wrist monitor?

One potential drawback is that the wrist monitor may not be as accurate as a chest strap, especially during high-intensity activities. Additionally, some models may have limited battery life or may not be suitable for use in extreme weather conditions.

5. How do I know if an active heart rate wrist monitor is right for me?

It is important to consider your individual needs and preferences when choosing an active heart rate wrist monitor. Factors such as accuracy, features, and budget should be taken into account. It may also be helpful to read reviews and try out different models before making a decision.