Controlling motor speed with a potentiometer

In summary, the conversation discussed the issue of controlling the speed of a DC motor using a potentiometer, and the various values of resistance that were tried. It was noted that using a 3V battery, the motor had a low RPM and a current of 40mA. The conversation then delved into different methods of controlling the motor, including using a switched-mode controller or pulse width modulation. The use of an op-amp as a feedback mechanism was also mentioned. Finally, a product from QKITS was suggested as a potential solution.
rafehi
I'm trying to control the speed of a DC motor by using a potentiometer, but am unsure what value resistance I should use. Having tried 500k, 10k and 500ohms, the motor stalled almost as soon as I turn the dial (a bit more leeway with the 500ohm but not much).

[PLAIN]http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_7971.jpg

Rated as 12kg-cm (or 1.2 N.m) torque, with an operating voltage of 4.5-18V (rated at 12V).

No load current is 70mA, fully loaded is 1380mA. Has a shaft speed of 36rpm.

Not going to be using it for much so it shouldn't get anywhere near fully loaded.

Any help at determining an appropriate potentiometer? Considering 3V, 6V or 9V, though 9V will probably exceed the power rating pretty quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes TheSiddharth
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe you should consider a switched-mode controller.

Run the motor with a variable voltage power supply.
Record the minimum current and voltage required.
The maximum voltage across the potentiometer will be the power supply voltage minus the motor voltage.
Calculate the potentiometer resistance using the maximum voltage across the potentiometer and the minimum current.

The slider on the potentiometer should be good for 1.38 amp. This is a large potentiometer.
Be sure the potentiometer meets the necessary watt and current rating.

Rheostats are frequently used as high power potentiometers.

Some DC motors will not operate satisfactorily with potentiometers

MisterX said:
Maybe you should consider a switched-mode controller.

Just messing around at the moment and trying to get my head around it all, hence why I'm using the potentiometer.

Carl Pugh said:
Run the motor with a variable voltage power supply.
Record the minimum current and voltage required.
The maximum voltage across the potentiometer will be the power supply voltage minus the motor voltage.
Calculate the potentiometer resistance using the maximum voltage across the potentiometer and the minimum current.

The slider on the potentiometer should be good for 1.38 amp. This is a large potentiometer.
Be sure the potentiometer meets the necessary watt and current rating.

Rheostats are frequently used as high power potentiometers.

Some DC motors will not operate satisfactorily with potentiometers

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but using a 3V battery, I get approx. 5rpm, with a current of 40mA.

1.8V: 0 rpm, 85mA
3V: 5 rpm, 40mA
6V: 12 rpm, 41mA
9V: 20 rpm, 50mA
12V: 30 rpm, 54mA

Calculating the resistance required when using a 9V battery gives: (9V - 3V) / (0.04A) = 150 ohms. Is that the correct procedure (bearing in mind I'm limited with regards to voltage range)?

However, using my 500ohm variable resistor in series, the motor started at:
3V battery supply: 5 ohms
6V battery supply: 11 ohms
9V battery supply: 20 ohms
12V battery supply: 28 ohms

It stalls at a higher resistance than it starts due to the back emf, but I'm more interested at when it starts. It seems the voltage across the motor jumps from very low to almost 100% when it starts, instead of gradually increasing.

Testing it at 12V (quickly, as it'd fried my 0.5W potentiometer), it starts at a resistance of 28 ohms but stalls at 290 ohms, which is a huge discrepancy.

Am trying to build a rudimentary controller: motor + potentiometer connected to 'wheel', if wheel turned than potentiometer resistance decreases, motor starts and rotates until the resistance increases sufficiently, returning the wheel to its equilibrium. But the much higher stalling resistance makes it seem a near impossible task.

As this uses over an amp under full load conditions, simple potentiometer methods will not work.

A better approach is to use pulse width modulation.
You can read about this here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_width_modulation
The potentiometer varies the duty cycle of the voltage reaching the motor.

Here is a circuit that is simple and looks effective:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYVJxui-SRD44A4M6q8-CooRmqMXJNn-KkTBvwa9XWtB19FOXa.jpg

The four 4093 gates are all in one cheap integrated circuit.

vk6kro said:
As this uses over an amp under full load conditions, simple potentiometer methods will not work.

A better approach is to use pulse width modulation.
You can read about this here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_width_modulation
The potentiometer varies the duty cycle of the voltage reaching the motor.

Here is a circuit that is simple and looks effective:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYVJxui-SRD44A4M6q8-CooRmqMXJNn-KkTBvwa9XWtB19FOXa.jpg

The four 4093 gates are all in one cheap integrated circuit.

Thanks for that, vk. Was doing some reading on the topic last night and was just about to leave to buy diodes, transistors and an inverter IC to make a PWM.

Since 1A is not much, you can also use some sort of proportional controller using an op-amp. In any case, you will need a feedback mechanism.

KingNothing said:
Since 1A is not much, you can also use some sort of proportional controller using an op-amp. In any case, you will need a feedback mechanism.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. So I could just connect the output of the potentiometer directly to an op-amp (say, an inverting amplifier) and use that as the feed into the motor? Would that resolve the issue of the motor stalling and starting at different resistances?

The July issue of Nuts and Volts magazine just came out and there is an add for "30A PWM DC Motor Speed Control" that might do what you want.
qkits.com

Don't take this as a recommendation for QKITS as I have never used their product.

1. How does a potentiometer control motor speed?

A potentiometer works by varying the resistance along a circuit. As the resistance changes, the amount of current flowing through the circuit also changes, which in turn affects the speed of the motor. By adjusting the position of the potentiometer, the resistance can be increased or decreased, thus controlling the motor speed.

2. Can any type of motor be controlled with a potentiometer?

In theory, yes. However, the type of motor and its specifications (such as voltage and current requirements) must be taken into consideration when selecting a potentiometer. It is important to ensure that the potentiometer can handle the power and current needed to control the motor.

3. Are there any limitations to using a potentiometer to control motor speed?

One limitation is that the motor speed can only be adjusted within a certain range, as determined by the potentiometer's resistance values. Additionally, the potentiometer may not be able to handle high power or current levels, which could limit the size and type of motor that can be controlled.

4. Is it possible to reverse the direction of the motor using a potentiometer?

Yes, it is possible by using a potentiometer with a dual-gang design. This means that there are two separate potentiometers within one unit, allowing for the control of both the positive and negative sides of the motor's power supply. By adjusting both potentiometers in opposite directions, the motor direction can be reversed.

5. Can multiple motors be controlled with a single potentiometer?

Yes, it is possible to control multiple motors with a single potentiometer by wiring them in parallel. However, the potentiometer must be able to handle the total power and current requirements of all the motors combined. If the motors have different power and current needs, additional circuitry may be needed to ensure proper control.