Movies for hardcore sci-fi geeks

In summary, Shane Carruth's Primer is a well-done, complex science fiction film that may be too difficult for some viewers. It's an excellent movie that is sure to entertain those who enjoy time travel and scientific fiction.
ThomasT said:
Just watched The Man From Earth. What a cool movie! But not the sort of hard scifi that us hard scifi geeks like the best. Nevertheless, a great script delivered wonderfully. I was engaged from start to finish.

Glad to hear it! I love that movie!

To me, the definitive hard sci-movie is the one that motivated this thread - Primer. Do you agree? If you haven't seen it, consider it a life priority. :biggrin:

IMO, hard sci-fi remains true to science to the greatest extent possible based on the premise. Whether the setting is technical or not is irrelevant. In The Man from Earth, Jerome Bixby endeavored to tell the story in a way that honors logic and science. Clearly the premise was sci-fi, so for me it definitely qualifies as hard sci-fi.

He [Bixby] wrote that story on his death bed but didn't live long enough to finish it. His son completed the novel. If you Google Bixby, you will probably find other work of his that you recognize and liked.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ThomasT said:
Splice

The DVD was already on its way from Netflix. :biggrin:

I failed to mention that I'm CGI'd out. I specifically look for great movies with minimal special effects. However, there are exceptions. For example, I thought Sunshine was absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
IMO, hard sci-fi remains true to science to the greatest extent possible based on the premise

tell the story in a way that honors logic and science

That rules Splice out. I couldn't stand it.

Ivan Seeking said:
Glad to hear it! I love that movie!

To me, the definitive hard sci-movie is the one that motivated this thread - Primer. Do you agree? If you haven't seen it, consider it a life priority. :biggrin:
Ok, I've been holding off on this one because it's not big budget cgi. But since I really like The Man From Earth I'll see it.

Ivan Seeking said:
IMO, hard sci-fi remains true to science to the greatest extent possible based on the premise. Whether the setting is technical or not is irrelevant.
Well, for me the technical cgi stuff is what I find most entertaining. I don't really care about plots or drama or stories or dialogue. I want to be dazzled by really well done, realistic, cgi stuff. On the other hand, I watched The Man From Earth and really liked it. Wonderful dialogue and acting. Really well done. But I wouldn't call it scifi in the sense that I normally think of scifi. Ok, there's the premise. So, I guess that, strictly speaking, it's scifi. Anyway, you get where I'm coming from, or at, or whatever.

Ivan Seeking said:
In The Man from Earth, Jerome Bixby endeavored to tell the story in a way that honors logic and science. Clearly the premise was sci-fi, so for me it definitely qualifies as hard sci-fi.
Hard scifi entails, imo, the inclusion of scifi hardware. The Man from Earth is, imo, soft scifi. Not my favorite -- however, as I've said, wrt this particular movie, well, I really liked it. Hey, I liked Moon and Solaris a lot also, which I would consider essentially soft scifi.

But I want Mech Warriors destroying stuff. Vast Earth infrastructures and futuristic weapons defending against alien invaders. Or Earth invading another planet. No story, no plot (individuals and personalities are irrelevant in such a context) just two hours of mindless cgi destruction -- with detailed depictions of both the alien and the Earth defenses, weapons, living conditions, strategies and tactics, etc.

Ivan Seeking said:
He [Bixby] wrote that story on his death bed but didn't live long enough to finish it. His son completed the novel. If you Google Bixby, you will probably find other work of his that you recognize and liked.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Borek said:
That rules Splice out. I couldn't stand it.
Why?

ThomasT said:
Why?

No logic and no science, plus a combination of all possible cliches. After about 30 minutes script becomes so predictable watching it doesn't make sense.

Borek said:
No logic and no science, plus a combination of all possible cliches. After about 30 minutes script becomes so predictable watching it doesn't make sense.
The problem is that you're too knowledgeable. For somebody like me, ignorant about biological research, it was possible to make the required 'suspension of disbelief'. Still, I didn't really like it all that much. It was a bit unsettling. But being a diehard scifi fan I welcome any and all contributions to the genre. But the cgi was very good I thought. And that alone usually overshadows any other shortcomings as far as I'm concerned.

ThomasT said:
Ok, I've been holding off on this one because it's not big budget cgi. But since I really like The Man From Earth I'll see it.

Not big budget is right! The budget was $7000.

Note that the entire movie drags. The first twenty minutes or so are almost intolerable, but from there, good luck keeping up with the plot! :biggrin:

Well, for me the technical cgi stuff is what I find most entertaining. I don't really care about plots or drama or stories or dialogue. I want to be dazzled by really well done, realistic, cgi stuff.

Ah, you mean hardware sci-fi. :biggrin: I can appreciate your perspective. There was a time when I loved special effects for their own sake; beginning with the opening scene of Star Wars, in 1977, which completely blew us all out of our seats! Now, I look for stories with a smart or particularly interesting premise, inspired writing, good acting, good science and logic, and perhaps above all, new and creative ideas.

Last edited:
Primer is a tangled puzzle through and through. Repeated watchings don't necessarily help, either.

turbo-1 said:
Primer is a tangled puzzle through and through. Repeated watchings don't necessarily help, either.

After multiple viewings, I figured everything out, more or less, except the guy dying in the driveway. I finally gave up and went to a Primer website for the answer on that one.

ThomasT said:
Hey, I liked Moon and Solaris a lot also, which I would consider essentially soft scifi.

I thought Moon was good, and Solaris is one of my favorites.

Has anyone watched Life on Mars?

There was a British series

The worlds of science fiction and police drama collide in this gritty British series that stars John Simm as Sam Tyler, a 21st-century Manchester detective who wakes up in 1973 after a hit-and-run car accident knocks him unconscious. While Tyler contends with unethical colleagues and the corrupt culture of 1970s police work, he struggles to determine if he's insane, in a coma -- or if he's truly traveled back in time.
Netflix

and an American series.

In present-day New York City, cop Sam Tyler (Jason O'Mara) is struck by a car and transported to 1973. But is Sam really lost in time, or is it an illusion resulting from his accident? As Sam tries to figure it all out, he attempts to continue his job with the N.Y.P.D. and discovers that police work has come a long way in 35 years. Michael Imperioli and Harvey Keitel co-star in this American version of the hit British show from David E. Kelley.
Netflix

It only ran for one season in the US but I was thinking about getting the British version. The first three [US] episodes have been intriguing but so far too subtle for me to get a sense of the direction of the series. Not sure if this is just another case of strange Lost-like clues that go nowhere, or if this is a case of truly creative writing. So far, it seems to be one or the other.

Ivan Seeking said:
Has anyone watched Life on Mars?

Yes. British and American. My wife couldn't get enough of them. So I saw them vicariously. They were good.

Last edited:
Cool. So far it has been intriguing.

I noticed another version of The Lathe of Heaven, with James Caan, made in 2002.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2190803225/

Also, there is a website dedicated to the new restoration of Fritz Lang's, Metropolis - with 25minutes of previously lost footage. The DVD is due for release November 16th.
http://www.kino.com/metropolis/

[PLAIN]http://www.kino.com/metropolis/gallery/gallery/34.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the following list compiled at IMDB would be of interest-

http://www.imdb.com/list/TweyHamu78M/" [Broken]

While the first 10 are apparent, there are a few surprises in the rest of the list.

stevebd1 said:

While the first 10 are apparent, there are a few surprises in the rest of the list.

Thanks for that link. Some of those movies look awesome.

stevebd1 said:

Wow. A lot of surprises.

At some point the remakes will be in production while the originals are still in theatres...

Am I the only one who thinks that Comic Book movies should not be grouped as Sci Fi?

My List:

Sunshine
Equilibrium
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (the BBC series)
Galaxy Quest (I still laugh at that one)
Doctor Who episodes: Blink, The Stolen Earth, The End of Time...oh heck, just about all the new stuff
Silent Running

daveb said:
My List:

Sunshine
Equilibrium
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (the BBC series)
Galaxy Quest (I still laugh at that one)
Doctor Who episodes: Blink, The Stolen Earth, The End of Time...oh heck, just about all the new stuff
Silent Running

Great list! Not sure if I have seen Equilibrium though. I'll have to check on that one.

Be sure to check out Primer, and The Man from Earth.

I've seen The Man from Earth - amazing!

QuarkCharmer said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Comic Book movies should not be grouped as Sci Fi?
That is so nerd. :biggrin:

You probably get the same looks I get when I declare that Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi, it's Space Fantasy.

Try Cronocrimenes (Time Crimes), fun sci-fi flick

DaveC426913 said:
That is so nerd. :biggrin:

You probably get the same looks I get when I declare that Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi, it's Space Fantasy.

Well lol, I'm not a big comic book, or comic book movie fan, but I like Space Fantasy then. I think there is some sort of line between Sci-fi that has roots in reality and that which does not. I can sort of see one day maybe sailing the galaxy and whatnot, but getting super powers from a spider bite? Come on now!:rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Great list! Not sure if I have seen Equilibrium though. I'll have to check on that one.

Be sure to check out Primer, and The Man from Earth.

Equilibrium, got to add it to your list!

drankin said:
Equilibrium, got to add it to your list!

Already in the queue. :biggrin:

theneedtoknow said:
Try Cronocrimenes (Time Crimes), fun sci-fi flick

Yes, a Spanish film, I liked it. A bit on the kinky side but fun.

There is a great Mexican Sci-Fi film called Sleep Dealer, that you might enjoy.

Last edited:
If you liked Galaxy Quest and you love the truly horrible 1950s vintage, classic sci-fi horror films, like The Blob [which makes an appearance here], and esp It Came from Outer Space, then you will likely appreciate this tongue-in-cheek satire that plays to a range of 50s classics, Alien Trespass. Pick your favorite cliche and you'll find it here. Alien Trespass is done so badly, so well, that it works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TDh6WdeV4

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, and though it isn't hard-core sci-fi, "Ink" is perhaps the most creatively imagintive and stunning movie seen in a long time.

daveb said:
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, and though it isn't hard-core sci-fi, "Ink" is perhaps the most creatively imagintive and stunning movie seen in a long time.

Thanks. I keep passing that one at Netflix but will give it a look. They predict almost four of a five star rating for me.

Freaky Faron was interesting. Not great but its quirkiness kept my attention.

Last night I tried to watch Destination Mars. :yuck::yuck::yuck:

stevebd1 said:

Nice to see Neuromancer on that list, I think it is a fantastic book, let's hope it doesn't get screwed up in film form.

Ivan Seeking said:
I noticed another version of The Lathe of Heaven, with James Caan, made in 2002.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2190803225/

What a heartbreaker. What they did was done well done but they killed the story by leaving most of it out! It was far better than the PBS production in a technical sense, but PBS made a much more interesting movie.

<h2>1. What makes a movie a "hardcore" sci-fi movie?</h2><p>A hardcore sci-fi movie is one that is heavily rooted in scientific concepts and theories, often exploring complex and thought-provoking ideas related to technology, space, time, and other scientific principles. These movies often require a deep understanding of science to fully appreciate and may challenge viewers' beliefs and understanding of the world.</p><h2>2. What are some examples of "hardcore" sci-fi movies?</h2><p>Some examples of "hardcore" sci-fi movies include classics like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, and The Matrix, as well as more recent films like Interstellar, Inception, and Ex Machina.</p><h2>3. Are there any specific sub-genres within "hardcore" sci-fi movies?</h2><p>Yes, there are several sub-genres within hardcore sci-fi movies, including cyberpunk, space opera, time travel, and dystopian/utopian societies. Each sub-genre explores different scientific concepts and themes, but all fall under the umbrella of hardcore sci-fi.</p><h2>4. Can someone who is not a science geek still enjoy "hardcore" sci-fi movies?</h2><p>Absolutely! While a deep understanding of science may enhance the viewing experience, it is not necessary to enjoy hardcore sci-fi movies. These movies often have compelling storylines, engaging characters, and stunning visuals that can be appreciated by anyone, regardless of their scientific knowledge.</p><h2>5. What sets "hardcore" sci-fi movies apart from other sci-fi movies?</h2><p>Hardcore sci-fi movies are often distinguished by their focus on scientific concepts and ideas, as well as their exploration of complex and thought-provoking themes. They may also have a more serious tone and be less focused on action and special effects compared to other sci-fi movies. Additionally, hardcore sci-fi movies often have a loyal following of dedicated fans who appreciate the depth and complexity of these films.</p>

1. What makes a movie a "hardcore" sci-fi movie?

A hardcore sci-fi movie is one that is heavily rooted in scientific concepts and theories, often exploring complex and thought-provoking ideas related to technology, space, time, and other scientific principles. These movies often require a deep understanding of science to fully appreciate and may challenge viewers' beliefs and understanding of the world.

2. What are some examples of "hardcore" sci-fi movies?

Some examples of "hardcore" sci-fi movies include classics like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, and The Matrix, as well as more recent films like Interstellar, Inception, and Ex Machina.

3. Are there any specific sub-genres within "hardcore" sci-fi movies?

Yes, there are several sub-genres within hardcore sci-fi movies, including cyberpunk, space opera, time travel, and dystopian/utopian societies. Each sub-genre explores different scientific concepts and themes, but all fall under the umbrella of hardcore sci-fi.

4. Can someone who is not a science geek still enjoy "hardcore" sci-fi movies?

Absolutely! While a deep understanding of science may enhance the viewing experience, it is not necessary to enjoy hardcore sci-fi movies. These movies often have compelling storylines, engaging characters, and stunning visuals that can be appreciated by anyone, regardless of their scientific knowledge.

5. What sets "hardcore" sci-fi movies apart from other sci-fi movies?

Hardcore sci-fi movies are often distinguished by their focus on scientific concepts and ideas, as well as their exploration of complex and thought-provoking themes. They may also have a more serious tone and be less focused on action and special effects compared to other sci-fi movies. Additionally, hardcore sci-fi movies often have a loyal following of dedicated fans who appreciate the depth and complexity of these films.