Can I improve my wireless connection in the countryside for a 40ft distance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of poor wireless connection in a country setting. The speaker is seeking suggestions for improving the connection, and has tried various solutions such as changing the channel, SSID, and wireless mode. They suspect interference from other devices and have noticed packet loss when pinging hosts on the internet. The suggestion is to try moving the wireless setup to a different location to determine if interference is the cause.
sizzlr228
Living out in the country has it's advantages and disadvantages. The wireless connection is bad. Trying to get from the house to a steel garage. Using a wireless device hard-wired to pc in house but the connection won't go into the garage. Garage is about 35 to 40 ft from house and have the other pc sitting in window facing house. Any suggestions on how to achieve better results?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should position the antennas themselves in the windows. That distance should work fine.

This is my first post in this forum, and maybe this problem has been posted here already, but i tried many things and didn't get a solution.

Here is the problem:

I have a router D-Link DI-524 and an D-Link DWL-G132 USB network wireless adapter. The router is configured, everything working fine with cable connections. All pcs have fixed ip configured.

Both of the wireless connections get terrible speed, even though the signal is shown as "very strong".

Reading many things on the internet, i tried many things:
1. Changed the channel to many values, like 11 or 2;
2. changed the ssid to something very uncommon;
3. changed the wireless mode to all possible values: mixed or G;
4. thinking somethin was wrong with the wireless network adapter i tried with a different computer, a notebook, faced the same problem;
5. read somewhere it could be interference, then i turned off 2.4GHz phones and even wireless keyboards and mouses. Didn't work also, got problem even when the notebook in front of the access point.

I noticed i got some packages lost sometimes when i "pinged" some hosts at the internet.

Can someone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interference from other wireless devices may be your problem. Neighbors devices, microwave ovens, cordless phones and other radio sources can effect your wireless data throughput.
If you move your wireless setup to another location it can tell you if your problem is local interference, or something else.

I understand the importance of having a strong and reliable wireless connection, especially in modern times where technology plays a crucial role in our daily lives. Living in the countryside can present challenges when it comes to internet connectivity, as there may be fewer options for internet service providers and the distance between buildings can affect the strength of the signal.

In order to improve your wireless connection for a 40ft distance, there are a few potential solutions that you can try. First, make sure that your wireless router is placed in a central location in your house, preferably near a window facing the garage. This will help to minimize the distance and any potential obstructions between the router and the garage.

Another option is to use a wireless range extender or repeater. These devices can amplify the signal from your router and extend its reach to areas that are further away. You can place the range extender in a spot that is closer to the garage, such as in a window facing the garage, to help improve the signal strength in that area.

Additionally, you can try adjusting the antennas on your wireless router. Experiment with different angles and positions to see if this helps to improve the signal strength in the direction of the garage.

If none of these solutions work, you may need to consider upgrading your internet service to a higher speed or switching to a different provider that offers better coverage in your area. You can also consult with a professional technician who can assess your specific situation and offer personalized recommendations for improving your wireless connection.

Overall, improving your wireless connection in the countryside for a 40ft distance may require some trial and error, but with the right strategies and equipment, it is possible to achieve a stronger and more reliable connection.

1. Why is my wireless connection always bad?

There could be several reasons for a consistently bad wireless connection. It could be due to interference from other devices, outdated router firmware, or physical obstructions between the router and the device. It's also possible that your internet service provider (ISP) is experiencing network issues.

2. How do I improve my wireless connection?

One way to improve your wireless connection is to move your router to a central location in your home and away from other electronic devices. You can also try updating your router's firmware, adjusting the wireless channel, or using a Wi-Fi extender to boost the signal.

3. Why is my wireless connection slower than my wired connection?

Wireless connections are generally slower than wired connections due to the nature of the technology. Wireless signals can be affected by interference and distance, whereas wired connections have a direct and stable connection to the router. Additionally, wired connections often have higher bandwidth capabilities than wireless connections.

4. How can I test my wireless connection speed?

There are several online tools and apps that can help you test your wireless connection speed. You can also check your device's network settings to see the current connection speed. Keep in mind that the speed may vary depending on your location and network congestion.

5. Do I need a new router to fix my bad wireless connection?

Not necessarily. If the issue is with your router, then upgrading to a newer model with better technology may help improve your wireless connection. However, if the issue is with your ISP or other external factors, a new router may not make a significant difference. It's best to troubleshoot the issue before investing in a new router.