Who is Right: Op-Amp True or False?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary: Cost: $∞Well, I can't argue with that logic! :DIn summary, the conversation is discussing the behavior of an op-amp circuit where no current flows through a resistor and whether it is true or false that Vout equals Vin in this scenario. The expert summarizer explains that the circuit is underdefined and it is important to clarify whether the op-amp is ideal or not. They also mention that in this configuration the circuit acts like a voltage follower. The conversation then shifts to discussing the behavior of an ideal op-amp and the expert summarizer explains that it has infinite resistance at the entrance and amplification in an open circuit. The conversation ends with a lighthearted discussion about the cost
Femme_physics
Gold Member
True or false:

In the following circuit no current flows through R since Vout equals Vin.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2263/thehellisthat.jpg

I say TRUE because it's the same as Voltage follower

My classmate disagrees with me, says it's false, saying "if vout passes through a resistor, then the voltage on that input is lower than vout"

Who's right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's an underdefined problem as stated.

Are you assuming an "ideal" opamp? Or one that has input bias currents? And you should probably label the + and - inputs of the opamp, although that wouldn't change the answer to the problem.

I believe you are right. :)

Btw, Vout does not "pass" through a resistor.
A "current" passes through a resistor, and only if the voltages on both sides of the resistor are different.
In this case those voltages are the same.

However, I am assuming the op-amp has its + and - inputs configured like a voltage follower.
If they are reversed, the circuit is unstable and Vout will either go up to Vcc+ or go down to Vcc-.
Either way, there will no (significant) current flowing through the resistor since the op-amp has a resistance that is near infinity.

EDIT:
berkeman said:
What do you mean by "underdefined"?

berkeman said:

Are you assuming an "ideal" opamp? Or one that has input bias currents? And you should probably label the + and - inputs of the opamp, although that wouldn't change the answer to the problem.

I didn't compose the questions, I didn't draw the image but took it directly from the source. I was confused about the lack of + and - inputs myself. And they didn't say if it's ideal or not, HOWEVER in our course IIRC we were told to assume all Op-Amps are ideal.

I believe you are right. :)

Btw, Vout does not "pass" through a resistor.
A "current" passes through a resistor, and only if the voltages on both sides of the resistor are different.
In this case those voltages are the same.

However, I am assuming the op-amp has its + and - inputs configured like a voltage follower.
If they are reversed, the circuit is unstable and Vout will either go up to Vcc+ or go down to Vcc-.
Either way, there will no (significant) current flowing through the resistor since the op-amp has a resistance that is near infinity.

As I suspected! Thank you :smile:

So, if it's an inverter though, the it's no longer a Voltage follower, so I can't use the same Vout = Vin law. That part I understand, though I wouldn't be sure what to make of it if the inputs were indeed reversed.

Femme_physics said:
So, if it's an inverter though, the it's no longer a Voltage follower, so I can't use the same Vout = Vin law. That part I understand, though I wouldn't be sure what to make of it if the inputs were indeed reversed.

In this case the circuit is not configured like the way an inverting amplifier or a voltage follower should be configured, so you should not use their behavior.

To figure out what the circuit does, you need to apply the basic op-amp law that says:
$$V_{out} = (V_+ - V_-) A_{OL}$$
where ##A_{OL}## is the so called open-loop-gain which is typically about 1000000 and where ##V_{out}## is limited to the range Vcc- to Vcc+.
From there you can try and "solve" the circuit.

After solving the circuit, you should consider what would happen if ##V_{in}## would rise just the tiniest fraction, say ##10^{-10} V##.
Either the circuit "pushes back" or it "diverges" to another solution where ##V_{out}## is either Vcc+ or Vcc-.

Last edited:
I'll make sure I have this printed for reference. Thanks a lot Klaas! :)

I have another question for true and false.

For an ideal operative amplifier there's infinite resistance at the entrance and an infinite amplification in an open circuit

I answered True, because I know the first sentence is true, but what is it about infinite amplification in an open circuit? I thought amplification is limited to the formulas ( Vout = ...) and the parameters of the op-amp. I didn't think it can ever get "infinite".

Femme_physics said:
I have another question for true and false.For an ideal operative amplifier there's infinite resistance at the entrance and an infinite amplification in an open circuit
I answered True, because I know the first sentence is true, but what is it about infinite amplification in an open circuit? I thought amplification is limited to the formulas ( Vout = ...) and the parameters of the op-amp. I didn't think it can ever get "infinite".

Yes, an ideal op-amp does have infinite amplification.

The formula ##V_{out}=(V_+ - V_-) A_{OL}## gives the amplification.
In a real-life op-amp the amplification ##A_{OL}## is about 1000000.
In an ideal op-amp it is infinite.

Femme_physics said:
I have another question for true and false.

For an ideal operative amplifier there's infinite resistance at the entrance and an infinite amplification in an open circuit

An ideal op amp has zero offset voltage, zero offset current, zero bias currents, infinite gain, zero output impedance. So your answer is correct. Why? Well ...

Zero bias current → zero current thru R, therefore zero voltage across R, therefore output = - input.

And since + input = - input, output voltage = Vin. So it's a voltage follower.

Last edited:
rude man said:
An ideal op amp has zero offset voltage, zero offset current, zero bias currents, infinite gain, zero output impedance.

And zero cost! :wink:

berkeman said:

Doesn't that depend on your point of view?
Since I'm producing ideal op-amps (virtually) I'm charging an infinite cost. ;)

berkeman said:

Thass' right! I once had a prof who made up a table of ideal parameters and that was his entry too!

1. Who is considered the "father of the op-amp"?

The inventor of the op-amp is considered to be Karl D. Swartzel Jr., who developed the first commercially available op-amp in 1963 while working for Fairchild Semiconductor.

2. What is the main function of an op-amp?

The main function of an op-amp is to amplify an input signal, making it larger in amplitude. It is commonly used in various electronic circuits such as amplifiers, filters, and oscillators.

3. Is an op-amp a linear or non-linear device?

An op-amp is a linear device, meaning that its output is directly proportional to its input. This allows for precise control and manipulation of signals in electronic circuits.

4. Can an op-amp operate on negative voltage?

Yes, op-amps can operate on both positive and negative voltages. In fact, many op-amps have a dual power supply, with both a positive and negative voltage input.

5. Are all op-amps created equal?

No, there are many different types of op-amps with varying specifications and characteristics. It is important to choose the right op-amp for a specific application to ensure optimal performance.