High School Student Seeking Food & Nutrition Research Ideas | Help Needed

• Thread starter Garret
  • Start date
In summary, a high school student is seeking ideas for a Food & Nutrition research project required for their advanced science course. They have brainstormed ideas with their friends, including studying capsaicin, preservation techniques, and extracting oil from seeds. However, they are struggling to find a feasible way to study these topics. Other potential ideas, such as studying the effects of scurvy, carotin on skin color, and the formation of maggots, are also discussed. The student clarifies that the project must incorporate all three sciences (biology, chemistry, and physics) and is for grade 11 students. They also mention their interest in incorporating quantum mechanics into the project and appreciate any suggestions. One idea proposed is studying how food color affects
Garret
I’m a high school student in desperate need of some ideas pertaining to Food & Nutrition. Why? Well I’m currently in advanced science courses and at my school when you take an advanced science course be it physics, chemistry, and/or biology you have to form a group of 3-4 and plan a research project pertaining to a topic idea from the science department. Eventually all the students (groups) go to a lecture hall and present their research, and are evaluated. Anyway, like I mentioned early, this year is Food & Nutrition and though you would think ideas would be in abundance, there definitely not.

My friends and I have had long lunches trying to develop some original ideas to really impress our teachers. Here are some of the ideas we thought of, studying capsaicin, studying new preservation techniques, and developing an efficient way to extract oil from general seeds. So far we really like the capsaicin idea but are having problem finding ways to study it since we are only high school students, therefore I ask for either help on some of already existing ideas or commenting on what you think a good idea would be to study in this topic.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to do an essay on why it is important to eat breakfast in high school a couple years ago. It was a horrible essay and presentation but I still got 100% because the teacher loved me.

But then again that was cooking class and this is some science class. A little more in depth than "You feel bad if you don't eat breakfast" is expected I suppose.

:rofl:

Something on scurvy and how it affects the body and how vitamin c prevents it?

How about how maggots form out of rotten food seemingly by magic?

The effects of carotin on colour of skin?

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. What grade is this for? What is the class?

Do you have to perform experiments yourselves?
What about capsaicin did you want to study? Its effects on our nervous systems, it's medicinal uses, etc.?

If you had to eat the same meal, 3 times a day, for the rest of your life, and still receive adequate nutrition, what foods would the meal contain?

I think that would be fun.

ek said:
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. What grade is this for? What is the class?

Okay maybe I was a little vague so let me digress. We are looking for anything pertaining to Food & Nutrition and when I say this, I mean ANYTHING! It just has to be science related. What sciences you ask? Well my group consists of 2 people and myself. One of the persons in my group is just in advanced biology and chemistry, while my other partner is just advanced chemistry; I on the other hand am advanced biology and physics (I know odd mix!). Therefore, my group has to study all three sciences for this project and I already know the section on physics in this project will be very difficult (I was thinking of doing ballistics with bananas and carrots but that didn’t go over to well with my physics teacher… just kidding,) and also we are grade 11 students. Thanks for some ideas!

ek said:
Do you have to perform experiments yourselves?
What about capsaicin did you want to study? Its effects on our nervous systems, it's medicinal uses, etc.?

When we thought of capsaicin we were actually eating lunch and this sparked the idea that maybe capsaicin could be used as a preservative for poultry or meat in general. We did a little research and actually found out that in Latin America they leave chicken out side for days in pots of chilies and tap water, and the chicken surprisingly stays fresh. We also looked at what happens when you eat something containing capsaicin and generally your endorphins become heightened, etc. We have also looked at capsaicin from a medicinal stand point and took a trip to the local pharmacy to see if they had any products that contained capsaicin, and they did. Most of the products were meant for pain relief and this interested us a lot, but we then realized that we would most likely have to use humans to test it on and well, we want something a little more controlled. Anyway, I hope I answered your questions.

Regards,
Garret

Wow, incorporating physics makes it much harder. Are you studying classical mechanics & kinematics & the like or closer to quantum mechanics & relativity?

honestrosewater said:
Wow, incorporating physics makes it much harder. Are you studying classical mechanics & kinematics & the like or closer to quantum mechanics & relativity?

Well currently in my physics class we are doing classical mechanics and kinematics but if I found some way to incorporate quantum mechanics into my group project, I’d probably get top marks.

Regards,
Garret

Oh, yes. I've had this article (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/18may_wastenot.htm?list1117040 [Broken]) saved in my inbox for a while... how does it sound?
I'm not sure off the top of my head what experiments you could conduct...

Last edited by a moderator:
honestrosewater said:
Oh, yes. I've had this article (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/18may_wastenot.htm?list1117040 [Broken]) saved in my inbox for a while... how does it sound?
I'm not sure off the top of my head what experiments you could conduct...

Hmmm… very interesting indeed and I plan on doing some more research on this topic, but in reference to my project I can’t think of any feasible experiment.

Regards,
Garret

Last edited by a moderator:
Studying how the color of food effects appetite would cover everyone; the physics of sight (dealing mostly with light & color, but you could also venture into the electrical impulses of the nervous system), the physiology of sight (nervous system for chemistry & molec. biology), the evolutionary advantage or disadvantage a certain color brings a food (evo. biology) and so on.

There is also plenty of research concerning these topics so you could go into great detail.

This would also allow you to dip into a fundamental concept of quantum mechanics: wave/particle duality. Since explaining the propagation of light from its source to the eye would be best dealt with treating light as waves, while treating light as particles could better explain the interaction of light with the rods and cones of the retina and the resulting electrical impulses.

And your test subjects need only to see and answer questions.

Sorry, if I've rambled a bit.
Happy thoughts,
Rachel

What is brainstorming?

Brainstorming is a problem-solving technique that involves generating multiple ideas and solutions in a group setting. It is often used to come up with creative and innovative solutions to a problem.

Why is brainstorming important?

Brainstorming allows for a diverse range of perspectives and ideas to be shared, leading to more effective problem-solving and decision-making. It also encourages collaboration and teamwork within a group.

What are some tips for effective brainstorming?

Some tips for effective brainstorming include setting a clear goal, encouraging all participants to contribute, and avoiding criticism or judgment of ideas. It can also be helpful to have a facilitator or moderator to keep the discussion on track.

How long should a brainstorming session last?

The ideal length of a brainstorming session can vary, but it is generally recommended to keep it between 30 minutes to an hour to maintain focus and productivity. However, the duration can also depend on the complexity of the problem being discussed.

Are there any downsides to brainstorming?

While brainstorming can be a valuable tool, it is not without its drawbacks. Some potential downsides include groupthink, where individuals may conform to the majority opinion, and social loafing, where members may not contribute as much effort in a group setting. It is important to be aware of these potential issues and take steps to prevent them during a brainstorming session.