Flowering Plant Revived After 30,000 Years in Permafrost

In summary, the researchers grew a plant that was 30,000 years old from seeds and leaves that were probably collected from a squirrel living in a frozen Russian burrow. The squirrel's burrow was frozen over quickly, and stayed that way until they discovered it.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is amazing. I want one. I'm interested in exactly what they did.

It was cultivated in the lab, with help from some "clonal micropropagation," from seeds and leaves probably collected by some long-ago species of squirrel. The researchers, publishing their find today in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, say the squirrel's burrow was probably frozen over quickly, and stayed that way until they discovered it.

"The squirrels dug the frozen ground to build their burrows, which are about the size of a soccer ball, putting in hay first and then animal fur for a perfect storage chamber," said Stanislav Gubin, one of the authors of the study, who spent years rummaging through the area for squirrel burrows. "It's a natural cryobank."

http://news.yahoo.com/flowering-plant-revived-30-000-years-russian-permafrost-200137925--abc-news.html

Biology news on Phys.org
Very cool! I hope we hear more about this kinds of developments in the future!

Yeah, I was just listenting to a story about this on NPR on my way home today...very cool!

I seem to remember a lecture once telling me (way back in first year of my undergrad) that once a seed millions of years old was recovered and fertilised with a modern plant. It went to show that the tree had undergone remarkably little change in a very long time.

Amazing!

I wonder if they will clone it.

Evo,

I don't know exactly what they did, but on the NPR thing I heard they said the first thing they tried was just to plant the seeds in soil. That didn't work, so they extracted some of the seed innards - the embryo I guess - and put it in a growth medium - hydroponic I think. Apparently others have tried to fake this kind of thing, but this group apparently has a very convincing case, with documentation of getting the seeds out of the permafrost and into the lab freezer quickly, getting an independent and reputable group to do Carbon-dating, etc.

How they did it is something that you can only do with plants. Since all plant cells are totipotent (think stem cells) you can take anyone cell from it and develop it into new functioning plant tissue from that one cell. It pretty amazing that they found one with cells intact enough to replicate though.

Thanks Evo ! Very fascinating science..
The clip on yahoo is now expired, but here is the story on http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=147164671 and here is the abstract from http://www.pnas.org/content/109/10/4008.

I hear that, somewhere in the Caribbean there's an island, upon which giant paddocks are being built to contain these prehistoric flowering plants so that people can come for afar to observe them in their natural habitat.

Jeff Goldbloom has been contacted for consultation. (See what I did there?)

Ouabache said:
Thanks Evo ! Very fascinating science..
The clip on yahoo is now expired, but here is the story on http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=147164671 and here is the abstract from http://www.pnas.org/content/109/10/4008.
Thanks Ouabache!

What is the significance of a flowering plant being revived after 30,000 years in permafrost?

The significance of this discovery is that it shows the resilience and adaptability of plant life. It also raises questions about how plants can survive extreme conditions and potentially lead to advancements in agriculture and environmental conservation.

How was the flowering plant able to survive for 30,000 years in permafrost?

It is believed that the plant was able to survive by going into a state of suspended animation, also known as dormancy. This means that the plant essentially shut down its metabolic processes and entered a sort of hibernation, allowing it to survive in extreme conditions.

What type of flowering plant was revived from the permafrost?

The plant that was revived is Silene stenophylla, also known as narrow-leafed campion. It is a small, white-flowered plant that is native to the Arctic tundra region.

What can we learn from studying this flowering plant?

Studying this plant can provide valuable insights into how plants adapt to harsh environments and the potential for other plant species to survive in similar conditions. It may also lead to advancements in cryopreservation, which is the process of preserving living organisms at very low temperatures.

What impact does this discovery have on the field of science?

This discovery has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of plant biology and the limits of plant survival. It also opens up new avenues for research and potential applications in fields such as agriculture, medicine, and environmental conservation.

Back