Understanding Energy and Work Done

In summary, energy is the capacity to do work and cannot be created or destroyed. When a rock falls onto a pillar, the energy from the fall may not be enough to push the pillar into the ground. This excess energy is dissipated as heat and sound upon impact. The friction between the pillar and the ground also contributes to the dissipation of energy. To calculate the percentage of useful work done, Newton's second law can be used to determine the necessary work and then compared to the actual work done. However, this method may be limited by the assumption that there is an optimal amount of work needed in a system. If the pillar does not move, there will be no work done against friction.
sgstudent
Energy is the capacity to do work. So if I have energy I can do work. But if a rock has 100J from falling down a building to push a pillar into the ground, it might not have enough energy to have any work done to push it in. So what happens to that 100Js? Ignoring air resistance. Since energy can neither be destroyed or created so I'm unsure where energy that isn't used has gone. I'm theorizing that heat and sound is produced from the impact and that's the energy dissipated but I'm not completely sure about it. I'm unsure if the friction of the pillar constitutes into this. But then again work done against friction also requires a distance which is 0 when the pillar doesn't move. Thanks for the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
yup, you are right. upon impact(assume rock+pillar stick together ie. perfectly inelastic collision, momentum conserved, kinetic energy not conserved, lost as heat and sound). also, work done against friction between the sides of the pillar against the ground(as your pillar gains momentum and hence velocity).

how would you calculate the effect of acceleration on the precentage of useful work done?

You would use Newton's second law. The same rock from before is traveling down with a magnitude and direction of mass * acceleration.
sumF=ma,
W=FdcosT
W=dmacosT, substituting.
for some arbitrary acceleration, the work done is given by the equation.. If you want to use percentages, divide this number by the necessary work to achieve an optimal result, and multiply by 100. This method will however lead to some level of uncertainty constrained by the assumption that some optimal amount of work is the minimum amount of work needed in a system.

jester1989 said:
yup, you are right. upon impact(assume rock+pillar stick together ie. perfectly inelastic collision, momentum conserved, kinetic energy not conserved, lost as heat and sound). also, work done against friction between the sides of the pillar against the ground(as your pillar gains momentum and hence velocity).
But what if the pillar doesn't move. Then won't there be zero work done again friction?

未命名.GIF

Last edited:

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It comes in different forms, such as light, heat, sound, and motion, and can be converted from one form to another.

2. What is work done?

Work done is a measure of the amount of energy that is transferred when a force is applied to an object and that object moves in the direction of the force. It is measured in joules (J).

3. How is energy related to work done?

Energy and work done are closely related concepts. Work done is a measure of the energy that is transferred from one object to another, or from one form to another. In other words, work done is a way of quantifying energy.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

5. How is energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be transferred from one form to another. This is known as the law of conservation of energy. Therefore, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.