3D printing a gear box, I'm having some problems with the gears getting stuck.

In summary, John is building a simple gearbox prototype to multiply the rotational speed of a small gear. The gears are all on a straight line and get stuck most of the time. He is trying to figure out what the problem may be and if possible is wondering if all the gears being on a straight line, somehow causes them to lock in place.
dennis_n
I'm building a simple 20:1 gearbox prototype with 2 compound gears in a row connecting to a third small gear at the end. My goal is to multiply the rotational speed of the small gear.
They are all engaged on a straight line. But for some reason they get stuck most of the time.
I'm trying to figure out what the problem may be.
I had to make the shafts part of the base of the gearbox (cause my printer doesn't print support material, and I wouldn't be able to print a gear on top of a shaft), so each gear has a hole and it spins freely around the shaft. I don't know if that is less efficient than the shaft being part of the gear. I'm not an engineer to know those kinds of details.
I'm also wondering if all the gears being on a straight line, somehow causes them to lock in place most of the time.
I was hoping someone might have an idea.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The shape of the gear is key for proper entrance and exit of teeth.

1. Have you tried grinding a chamfer into each tooth?

2. 3D prints are notoriously inaccurate. especially with low cost FDM machines. play with the feed rate of your plastic. Try to get the head a close to the part as possible. If possible heat the the build area while printing. This will make the deposition more uniform.

3. Try using the free gear template generator offered by Mattias Wandel at woodgears.ca: http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

A caution about using Wandel's gear profiles. They are quite good enough for wooden gears, which is the purpose for which he markets his software, but I don't believe that they are true involutes, as far as I can tell. I have had some correspondence with him, and he is guarded about what he will reveal, but it appears that he has made some approximations that will result in something other than true involutes.

OldEngr63 said:
A caution about using Wandel's gear profiles... it appears that he has made some approximations that will result in something other than true involutes.

Good to know OldEngnr63...

You could always do it by hand, but Wandel's look better than the gear primitives found in most 3d software I have encountered. For a hobby project it's worth a shot.

The resulting gearbox has very little side to side movement. Usually you have to compensate for clearance and so doing will make an inefficient gear box whereby the gears move side to side a lot.

Regards
John
sticker printing

1. What is causing my gears to get stuck in my 3D printed gear box?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to improper gear design, inadequate lubrication, or misalignment of the gears. It is important to carefully inspect the gear box and gears to identify the root cause of the problem.

2. How can I improve the design of my 3D printed gear box to prevent gears from getting stuck?

To prevent gears from getting stuck, it is important to ensure that the gear teeth are properly designed and have the correct spacing and angle. Additionally, incorporating lubrication channels and using high-quality lubricants can help to reduce friction and prevent gears from getting stuck.

3. Can using a different 3D printing material help to prevent gears from getting stuck?

Yes, using a stronger and more durable material can help to prevent gears from getting stuck. For example, using materials such as ABS or nylon can provide better strength and durability compared to PLA. It is important to consider the specific requirements and use the appropriate material for your gear box.

4. How important is the post-processing of 3D printed gears in preventing them from getting stuck?

Post-processing is a crucial step in 3D printing gears. It involves removing any support structures, sanding and smoothing the gears, and adding lubrication. Proper post-processing can greatly improve the performance of 3D printed gears and prevent them from getting stuck.

5. Are there any alternative solutions to 3D printing gears to prevent them from getting stuck?

Yes, there are alternative methods for creating gears such as injection molding or CNC machining. These methods may provide better precision and durability compared to 3D printing. However, they may also be more expensive and require specialized equipment. It is important to consider the specific needs and budget before choosing a method for creating gears.